Author Topic: Anything Good Happen Today?  (Read 855895 times)

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
Re: Anything Good Happen Today?
« Reply #3810 on: December 15, 2015, 12:53:56 pm »
It's a good thing he didn't try to repeatedly differentiate any polynomials, that would've been dangerous.
Σא

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3811 on: December 15, 2015, 09:16:24 pm »
Finally got a tuner and my warlock is now officially tuned!  Now, the journey, as they say, truly begins.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #3812 on: December 15, 2015, 09:46:01 pm »
Finally got a tuner and my warlock is now officially tuned!  Now, the journey, as they say, truly begins.

depending on what you want to start to learn to play, keep in mind alternate tunings. if you want to start playing lead, e-standard tuning is the way to go, but if you want to work on rythm first, drop-d is very useful for progressing, because you get immediate results, thus keeping your morale up. once you're more comfortable, or if you use stronger string gauges for bigger sound, drop-tunings can expand your sonic horizon. i dropped down to d-standard years ago, and never looked back. something about that lower end really makes the guitar vibrate in satisfying ways.

stay away from open-tunings until you're comfortable with standard tuning, else you'll get lost later on. hell, i've been playing in open-c for the past 6 months, and last time i picked up a standard guitar, i felt lost for the first 15 minutes. would be worse for a newbie.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3813 on: December 16, 2015, 10:30:55 am »

depending on what you want to start to learn to play, keep in mind alternate tunings. if you want to start playing lead, e-standard tuning is the way to go, but if you want to work on rythm first, drop-d is very useful for progressing, because you get immediate results, thus keeping your morale up. once you're more comfortable, or if you use stronger string gauges for bigger sound, drop-tunings can expand your sonic horizon. i dropped down to d-standard years ago, and never looked back. something about that lower end really makes the guitar vibrate in satisfying ways.

stay away from open-tunings until you're comfortable with standard tuning, else you'll get lost later on. hell, i've been playing in open-c for the past 6 months, and last time i picked up a standard guitar, i felt lost for the first 15 minutes. would be worse for a newbie.

*eyes glaze over*  I have a lot to learn, it'd seem, lol.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #3814 on: December 16, 2015, 11:57:13 am »

*eyes glaze over*  I have a lot to learn, it'd seem, lol.

not really. i'd divide it into two large categories. theoretical and practical. theory encompasses scales and musical theory. that's the boring but ultimately useful bit. practical is playing techniques (hammers, slides, tapping, sweeping...) plus alternate tunings, because even if you need some music theory to understand what you're doing, you can wing it by ear and it eases playing tough things by simplifying fingering.

i could scare you away by saying that standard tuning is a tuning in perfect fourths, with the exception of the g string, who's a perfect third. frankly, it doesn't matter one iota what it theoretically is, but it does matter that practically you know where to put your fingers. hell, it's making your guitar sound correctly that will motivate you to continue, not the theory. theory is very important later on when you're ready to understand it. i'm not a math-head, and i've always struggled with theory. in practice, however, having a near-perfect ear through training i can pull off extremely complicated things. when a violinist or a pianist asks me what was that, i just answer in a yorkshire accent "i 'ave nuh ideuh wot a'm dooin'".

i started playing guitar because of ego. i'm kind of ashamed of it. my oldest friend said that he'd become a great guitarist. having a guitarist dad, i told him i'd be better than him in no time flat. he took solfa lessons, i didn't. i jumped right in. six months later, he could explain what my chord was made of, but couldn't play it. he was disgusted by theory. i had no idea what i was doing besides instinctively knowing it was minor or major (roughly), but i could play some hard licks. i won my bet, but i was hooked to making loud noises. ten years later, i'm barely starting on musical theory because i need it to get better at composing.

the best lesson i can give to a newbie (and i teach guitar), is first and foremost to have fun. seriously, if you don't enjoy it, you'll quit. go for the easy results, you'll progress faster. the most important thing you can learn for quick results is the e-major barre-chord. once you've got that fingering down, you can litterally play any rock song ever written. i'm not exaggerating, i've tried it, and it works. hell, i'm actively searching for a song that i can't play using that chord fingering. the other finnicky chords (looking at you, c-major) will come later, either through necessity or through practice. but they can be transposed to easier fingerings.

a good guitarist is a lazy guitarist. the one who'll seek out the easiest way to do something hard. but most importantly, a good guitarist is a guitarist who enjoys what he's doing. i know a shredder who beats me flat in speed and theory, but who doesn't enjoy it. what's the point then? bragging rights? you play for yourself first and foremost, not for anyone else.

if you need any counsel and advice, i'm here by pm. feel free to ask, i love helping others discover the joys of playing.  :)

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3815 on: December 16, 2015, 12:34:52 pm »
Sounds a lot like being a software engineer, lol.  I could go for hours on end about optimizations, parallelism, polymorphism, inheritance, and so on, but all that amounts to not a damn thing if you don't just go out there and do it.  Understand first, then learn the fancy bits.  Also, might just take ya up on that at some point.  Can never learn too much!

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #3816 on: December 16, 2015, 12:46:28 pm »
Well, it's like anything really, Ravy. The more you know of theory, the more you can do. That's why I like Alton Brown so much. His show is (used to be if he's not making episodes anymore) all about the theory of cooking more so than anything else.

@ guizonde, do a quick Google search for a character called PDQ Bach. I forgot the guy's name, but his radio show was excellent for music theory. Or so my musician friends tell me.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3817 on: December 16, 2015, 01:08:42 pm »
Aye, tis true.  Though, for me, I find learning theory on its own...I don't wanna necessarily say "useless," but largely unhelpful if I can't apply it to something at the same time.  Its one of the reasons I picked up code in the first place, anything I learned about I could go out and almost immediately apply it to something.  Threading?  I can pop it into a unique code generation algorithm to increase performance.  Reflection?  Its basically the crux of my entire big project at work.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #3818 on: December 16, 2015, 04:50:57 pm »
Aye, tis true.  Though, for me, I find learning theory on its own...I don't wanna necessarily say "useless," but largely unhelpful if I can't apply it to something at the same time.  Its one of the reasons I picked up code in the first place, anything I learned about I could go out and almost immediately apply it to something.  Threading?  I can pop it into a unique code generation algorithm to increase performance.  Reflection?  Its basically the crux of my entire big project at work.

are you a math-head? you sound like one. if you find the logic, it'll save time to learn scales to decipher everything. i litterally play it by ear, and later on in the post, i'll give you a reason to learn theory. i failed hard.

@rookie, thanks, i'll look it up.  :)

ok, so i went to my friend, drummer, sound engineer, and producer. call him cap'n winston for short. remember when i posted my soundcloud a few weeks back? i went back to attack the vocals on one track. took an hour, and about 14 takes, but i've got the lyrics on the sucker. i'll keep you posted once he finishes mixing, mastering, and posting the completed version of the track. should be done by the end of the week.

now, the reason i failed hard. i can't sing. i growl. i forgot how to sing clean. i can growl in key easily enough, so that's what i do. for the "chorus-singalong" bit, i wanted it to sound big. so i overdubbed the same end of the verse, first time growling mid-pitch, second time an octave lower. didn't sound big enough, so i said "let's harmonize it!" ... after fifteen minutes, i had to admit defeat. even using my guitar to figure out which note was the fifth, i couldn't sing it. it's easy enough, it's only a difference of seven semi-tones, but it made my brain warp. learn your musical theory people!

now it sounds halfway between blues-bluegrass and death metal. i may have broken music.

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3819 on: December 16, 2015, 05:12:49 pm »
I've been known to like math, lol.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #3820 on: December 16, 2015, 05:32:33 pm »
good. scales are math. pure and simple. that's why i have trouble with it. remember an octave (eight notes) are divided into twelve frets (8 full notes and 4 semi-tones), from there, all you need to do is count and you've figured out scales and modes. if you've got an analytic mind, it should take you about fifteen minutes. i also recommend subscribing to a guitar magazine. guitar world is ok, from the two issues i bought in england. a bit too "people" oriented, not enough gear and tabs, but what can you do? also, sign up on ultimateguitar. those guys are real friendly.

edit: not only is cap'n winston generously endowed by nature with balls of steel, he works damn fast. the track is now up, 15 hours after being recorded. here it is

https://soundcloud.com/guizonde/that-girl-with-lyrics
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 10:26:45 am by guizonde »

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #3821 on: December 17, 2015, 09:25:44 pm »
The law firm I work at had the most opulent of affairs. I consumed 7 vodkas and cranberries! <3 <3 <3

I won't tell you what else I had ;)
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #3822 on: December 17, 2015, 09:45:10 pm »
Was it three lines of rack off the chiseled abdomen of a high price call boy?

Even Then

« Reply #3823 on: December 17, 2015, 09:51:17 pm »
You ate seven cranberries? Wow, that party must've been out of this world!

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #3824 on: December 17, 2015, 11:37:23 pm »
I had my hair colored blond today.

Rather unusual, but enjoyable experience.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer