Author Topic: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread  (Read 2023940 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread
« Reply #1275 on: March 28, 2012, 10:10:21 pm »
One doesn't need to understand how a gun works to deflect bullets.

One only needs to understand how to deflect speedy things.

Which I'm sure many wizards learn how to do just as a matter of learning how to defend against other magic.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Art Vandelay

« Reply #1276 on: March 28, 2012, 10:22:47 pm »
If you don't have a basic understanding of how a gun works, then how would you know it makes speedy things fly at you in the first place? For all you know, it could be a device to summon an amorous hippo to rape the user's assailant to death.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #1277 on: March 28, 2012, 11:00:22 pm »
Yeah. As far as I know, the only explanation for the lack of technological development was that magic somehow interfered with electronics. But ballpoint pens, paper, and firearms do not require electronics.

Okay, I’m done with the Potter commentary for now. I think I’ll have to find a few pictures to contribute to make up for the Off-topicness.

If it helps my Pureblood witch knew what one was and how to use it? I dunno. Ignore me... >.>

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1278 on: March 28, 2012, 11:27:14 pm »
If you don't have a basic understanding of how a gun works, then how would you know it makes speedy things fly at you in the first place? For all you know, it could be a device to summon an amorous hippo to rape the user's assailant to death.

You see it, think "metal wand", and instantly prepare a deflection spell to deflect whatever spell the muggle is about to aim at you.

Come to think of it, according to the movies, curses act like speedy projectiles that need to be deflected, so even if it WAS a device that summoned an amorous hippo, you'd want to deflect it.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #1279 on: March 29, 2012, 04:18:26 am »

You see it, think "metal wand", and instantly prepare a deflection spell to deflect whatever spell the muggle is about to aim at you.

Come to think of it, according to the movies, curses act like speedy projectiles that need to be deflected, so even if it WAS a device that summoned an amorous hippo, you'd want to deflect it.
Magic is not physical, so what can stop a spell will not necessarily stop physical a projectile. Furthermore, spells travel a lot slower than bullets, enough so that there's actually time to react between it being cast and hitting you. The only way you could possibly deflect it by magic is to put up some sort of shield before it's fired at you. If you're used to fighting only magic users and thus are used to only reacting to your opponent's attacks, then it's highly unlikely you'll even consider the possibility that it's physically impossible to block or deflect it after your opponent has fired a shot, much less think to throw up some sort of barrier against physical projectiles before any shots are fired.

Offline DarkfireTaimatsu

• Pope
  • Here be impies.
    • Taiblog
« Reply #1280 on: March 29, 2012, 04:32:51 am »
"I have to kill fast, and bullets too slow." Then John Freeman started killing everyone with bear hands!
A limerick:

There once was a unicorn who would shove
His rainbows around like a dove
"Always I'll be with you
And then make-believe with you
Harmony, Harmony, oh love"

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1281 on: March 29, 2012, 04:59:07 am »

Magic is not physical, so what can stop a spell will not necessarily stop physical a projectile. Furthermore, spells travel a lot slower than bullets, enough so that there's actually time to react between it being cast and hitting you. The only way you could possibly deflect it by magic is to put up some sort of shield before it's fired at you. If you're used to fighting only magic users and thus are used to only reacting to your opponent's attacks, then it's highly unlikely you'll even consider the possibility that it's physically impossible to block or deflect it after your opponent has fired a shot, much less think to throw up some sort of barrier against physical projectiles before any shots are fired.

For not being physical, rebounding curses sure did quite a bit of damage to the scenery...

Also, seen how fast magic travels?  It's pretty much instantenously, too, albeit it has a physical enough component to start punching around the scenery.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #1282 on: March 29, 2012, 05:03:30 am »
Also, seen how fast magic travels?  It's pretty much instantenously, too, albeit it has a physical enough component to start punching around the scenery.
It's not so fast that it's physically impossible for human reflexes to react in time to block (at near point-blank range, no less), unlike bullets.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1283 on: March 29, 2012, 12:15:02 pm »
It's not so fast that it's physically impossible for human reflexes to react in time to block (at near point-blank range, no less), unlike bullets.

I think it's less about reflexes and more like anticipating the curse.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #1284 on: March 29, 2012, 06:06:06 pm »

That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #1285 on: March 29, 2012, 06:47:13 pm »
It is a little odd I must say. If, for example, one of them figured out that a paper currency is better than precious metals and used it to start up a rival bank, they'd run Gringotts out of business within a month.

Unless Gringotts is granted a state monopoly by the Ministry of Magic, akin to a Royal Charter. It is a little odd that they (apparently) have a monopoly in the first place, which would be highly unlikely without at least some hint of state intervention.
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #1286 on: March 29, 2012, 06:55:01 pm »
It is a little odd I must say. If, for example, one of them figured out that a paper currency is better than precious metals and used it to start up a rival bank, they'd run Gringotts out of business within a month.

Unless Gringotts is granted a state monopoly by the Ministry of Magic, akin to a Royal Charter. It is a little odd that they (apparently) have a monopoly in the first place, which would be highly unlikely without at least some hint of state intervention.

Well if our countries can pass laws to let banks fuck with the economy, I think the Wizarding World could do that too. It seems that the Wizarding World is completely independent of "Muggle" states, and that they are more of a secret independent community with their own laws. They only obey Muggle laws when they're in Muggle territory - as soon as they're on their own turf, they have their own customs and laws.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Normandy

• Pope
« Reply #1287 on: March 29, 2012, 07:02:20 pm »

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #1288 on: March 29, 2012, 09:02:53 pm »
It all makes sense now.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #1289 on: March 29, 2012, 10:01:54 pm »
Well if our countries can pass laws to let banks fuck with the economy, I think the Wizarding World could do that too. 
I'm not sure Gringotts really can fuck with the economy to a great extent, considering they're not so much a proper bank as a glorified high security depository.

That would also explain why the wizarding economy is stuck in the 18th century to such an extent. Would-be entrepreneurs essentially have no access to start up capital.
I think it's less about reflexes and more like anticipating the curse.
Which brings us right back to the question of how to anticipate and counter something that's already completely different to what you've been conditioned from the age of 11 to anticipate and counter.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 10:03:51 pm by Art Vandelay »