Author Topic: FAA says don't shoot down drones  (Read 4145 times)

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
Re: FAA says don't shoot down drones
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 04:25:47 pm »
When I saw the title, my first thought was, "or you could trigger an interstellar war."
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 04:35:39 pm »
First to KNZ's question about weapons available to the civilian population that could take down a drone. It depends really on how high up they're flying. But there is quite an impressive array o really good rifles designed to take big horn sheep from mountain tops. A long range elk gun  with a good scope might not be able to take it down,  but it could hurt it in regards to the electronics.

As for not freaking out over police helicopters, there's the issue of jurisdictions. For some reason, some have in their heads that local and state agencies are the ones supposed to deal with Americans in America. Obviously, there are exceptions like the FBI or Secret Service. But they think drones, they think military or CIA or NSA or other scary acronym. And those guys are supposed to concern themselves with dark people in third world countries who wear either turbans or general's military uniforms. Not to go messing with ordinary hard working Americans.

I hope that helps.
KNZ? Who's KNZ? (Deja vu to me)

But anyways, thanks for the info. I do believe one of the rules the city put in for shooting drones was that the drone has to be at a 1000 ft minimum altitude or something.
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2013, 04:57:33 pm »
I wonder what a bunt gun would do.

You mean a Punt Gun? Not much, they're really over-sized shotguns and those aren't what you want for long range shooting.

As for the no shooting down drones rule, I thought the No Discharging Firearms inside city limits unless at a range or with a damn good reason laws would be enough to cover it. but if not, then I'm gonna go get my Fudd on.

Be vewy, vewy quwiet. I'm hunting drwons!
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 08:37:51 pm »
So what I'm wondering is what weapon available to the US public can shoot down a drone?
Well, a mini-14 can bring down a B 52 bomber...

Distind

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 05:48:27 pm »
Whether drones are good or bad, if you can afford the weaponry it sounds like fun.
Don't forget speakers, Ride of the Valkyries won't play itself.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 06:48:49 pm »
For the record, I'd be surprised if anyone could accurately take down a drone. Shooting is a lot harder than video games and movies make it seem; there's a good reason we use shotguns for shooting birds out of the sky instead of trying to peg them with varmint rifles.

Sure, a high power hunting rifle or a .50 caliber anti-materiel rifle could probably knock a drone out of the sky on the first shot. The question is how you're going to HIT it when you've only got a few rounds in the magazine and no capacity for rapid fire.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2013, 08:45:45 pm »
For the record, I'd be surprised if anyone could accurately take down a drone. Shooting is a lot harder than video games and movies make it seem; there's a good reason we use shotguns for shooting birds out of the sky instead of trying to peg them with varmint rifles.

Sure, a high power hunting rifle or a .50 caliber anti-materiel rifle could probably knock a drone out of the sky on the first shot. The question is how you're going to HIT it when you've only got a few rounds in the magazine and no capacity for rapid fire.
Hunt them from a helicopter like they do wolves and boar.  ;)

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2013, 12:20:46 am »
Wouldn't there be some airspace concerns?
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2013, 12:38:18 am »
Wouldn't there be some airspace concerns?

Drones are very small, show up on radar, and are presumably being operated with the knowledge of the FAA. There's really no worries unless you have literally dozens or hundreds over a small area.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.