Author Topic: Enemy Expatriation Act  (Read 6686 times)

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
Re: Enemy Expatriation Act
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 02:42:17 pm »
How would the Supreme Court ever see it? I'm genuinely asking, not trying to be sarcastic. If John Doe is arrested and sent to Guantanomo(sp?), as a non-citizen, with no right to trial, to an attorney, to anything, he'll never appear in a court, there will be no appeals, nothing. Doesn't there have to be a trial before it can be appealed to a higher court?

Good point, which is actually incredibly worrisome.

Offline Xotan

• Neonate
  • S'é mo chat luchtiarna an tí.
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 04:45:20 pm »
It doesn't sound like the kind of thing that could be allowed in a democracy.
Is maith le mo chat na Francaigh!  Is ban-chat fhrancach í.

Offline Oriet

• Homo sapiens scientia
  • Bishop
  • Disabled Vet MtF Polyamorous Atheist Auspie
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 12:23:27 am »
How would the Supreme Court ever see it? I'm genuinely asking, not trying to be sarcastic. If John Doe is arrested and sent to Guantanomo(sp?), as a non-citizen, with no right to trial, to an attorney, to anything, he'll never appear in a court, there will be no appeals, nothing. Doesn't there have to be a trial before it can be appealed to a higher court?
I would imagine that family of the ex-citizen could make an appeal, though they would likely have to prove what happened to them somehow.

I'm actually of the opinion that a newly passed law should go through the Supreme Court to ensure it is constitutional before it can be enacted, exactly for this sort of situation. I know such would never pass the house or congress, though.
The Rules, get to know them.

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 06:00:22 am »
I see we have another reason to hate Lieberman

Honest question, is this the same Lieberman that declared Postal2 would teach and encourage people to go out and shoot up their communities?
If so, how the fuck is this guy still in office?
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 02:46:48 pm »
I'm actually of the opinion that a newly passed law should go through the Supreme Court to ensure it is constitutional before it can be enacted, exactly for this sort of situation.
Same here. What’s the point of a Constitution barring certain laws if those laws can take effect and ruin peoples’ lives before the law is actually struck down?

I am also thinking that Congresspeople that vote to pass blatantly unconstitutional tripe such as this should face stiff penalties, if not outright removal from office. A legislator that can’t even be bothered to know the basic laws of his or her jurisdiction has no business being a legislator.
-A Pen Name

Offline Vene

• AKA Vene-Eye the Science Guy
  • Pope
  • Patronizing Know-It-All Snotnose
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2012, 02:54:05 pm »
The only issue I see with sending laws to the Supreme Court is the logistics of such a task. However, having a panel of judges review laws independently is something I see as more feasible and it would produce similar results.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 03:27:15 pm »
Yeah, that would have to be the way of doing it. But can’t you already hear the Repubs screaming about expanding government and promoting judicial activism?
-A Pen Name