Author Topic: Video gaming witch hunt in CT after shooting  (Read 8570 times)

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
Re: Video gaming witch hunt in CT after shooting
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2013, 01:33:02 am »
Yes, pinball was illegal there from around the time of prohibition up until the late 70s as I recall.

It's always the new media that gets demonized. I remember reading a bunch of writing from the 1800s someone put up on a web page, but I'll be damned if I can find it now. The subject was how reading novels rotted peoples' brains. Yes, at one time they thought reading fiction was bad for you.

The work of some classical composers too had the same "this will corrupt our youth and destroy society" type of reaction from some people that violent games and movies get now.

Especially Mozart.
Afterall, he did write an entire opera that took place in a brothel.

Offline agentCDE

• Bishop
  • Slacker Heathen Extraordinaire!
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2013, 03:17:02 am »
This frankly doesn't even surprise me at all anymore.  I just shake my head and move on at this point because I know nothing in the world will keep these people from demonizing games.
I imagine enough time and a new form of media for them to blame for society's ills ought to do it.

Is Virtual Reality Skydiving turning our children into suicidal suicide jumpers? YOU DECIDE! [/FauxNews]

Offline lazerfrog

• Neonate
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2013, 05:54:34 pm »
Is there a limit to how many games you can bring?  If not, I'm going to find every one cent game I can on Amazon and head up to Connecticut.  Nobody is going to miss a few copies of Duke Nukem Forever, or whatever other shit I can find.

Saturn500

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2013, 06:03:03 pm »
This frankly doesn't even surprise me at all anymore.  I just shake my head and move on at this point because I know nothing in the world will keep these people from demonizing games.
I imagine enough time and a new form of media for them to blame for society's ills ought to do it.

Is Virtual Reality Skydiving turning our children into suicidal suicide jumpers? YOU DECIDE! [/FauxNews]

It certainly gives them a reckless disregard for gravity.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2013, 06:58:50 pm »

That's sounds like something from "Sick Sad World."

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2013, 07:08:39 pm »
"Sick Sad World" is the best fake tv show ever...

Offline agentCDE

• Bishop
  • Slacker Heathen Extraordinaire!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2013, 08:26:56 pm »
Wish Lanza had just stayed up in his room playing Mass Effect 3 yet again. His gaming habit was probably holding off the inevitable meltdown, ya know?

Anyway, reading the article, the organizers offer so many, "Yeah, we just wanna do this anyway, even though we know it's kinda meaningless" spins, I wonder why they even bother? It's sorta like they are doing the game destruction thing just for "old time's sake". Were the last few Salem Witch Trials were like that? Oh, well, let's go ahead and burn the bitch anyway, while anybody still feels like bothering to.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.