Author Topic: Things just got real in Ukraine  (Read 38105 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Things just got real in Ukraine
« Reply #105 on: March 14, 2014, 05:02:01 am »
THE UKRAINIAN MILITARY HAS 1000'000 SOLDIERS IN RESERVE!

This information is freely available on several websites including wikipedia.

http://www.morningstar.co.uk/uk/news/AN_1394546412759425100/ukraine-announces-partial-mobilisation-of-army-reserves.aspx

Oh look, they are ALREADY mobilising their reserves. The article does say that this is a partial mobilisation but you have to remember that getting hundreds of thousands troops equipped does take a lot of time and can not be made subtly.

And they have more than just T-64s, they also have 271 T-80s and a rather sizeable artillery force. Actually looking at their equipment list it does not look that bad, they've got some good anti-air and anti-tank weapons. I don't know that much about airplanes but those seem to be mostly Russian/Soviet (Did USSR put some safeties or backdoors for electronic countermeasures in case someone would try to use their stuff against them?)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #106 on: March 14, 2014, 05:15:25 am »
The useful tanks are all mothballed, for whatever reason (the best they have, the T80UK, is still out of date compared to the Russian stuff anyway). Both Ukrainian Armoured Brigades are mounted on T-64s of one variety or another. The Ukrainian air force has actually fairly good tech - SU-24s and Mig-29s - but it's tiny. They have about 40 jets or so.

Artillery is nice so long as the enemy doesn't move around too much. Their AT, particularly their ATGMs, are basically too old to be effective against a T-80 or T-90.

You are right about their air defence, though. Their SAM/AAA fleet is crazy good. They have Buks out the ass! The Russians ought to be very worried about air supremacy in case of any conflict, unless they go on a SEAD binge.

I'd be interested to see how long a corps of reservists with AKs could stop a determined tank division.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #107 on: March 14, 2014, 05:30:57 am »
"Reservists with AKs..."

How about reservists with BUKs and AT missiles and tanks?

You do realize that those reservists have been trained with the stuff that the Ukrainian military uses? They aren't just random dudes who get a uniform and a gun.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #108 on: March 14, 2014, 06:52:54 am »
Yeah, I'm still pretty skeptical about the effectiveness of reservists.

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
  • Repentant sinner, unrepentant knowledge junkie
« Reply #109 on: March 14, 2014, 09:32:25 am »
With all this talk about the military, I wonder how the Ukrainian civilians would factor in and what kind of warfare they would fight on the Russian forces.  I'm sure not all of them would hide and let the military forces duke it out.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #110 on: March 14, 2014, 10:23:28 am »
In other news, even though in public the Russian goverment has been trying to gain the support of the Crimean Tatar minority the Tatars are not looking forward to being ruled by Russia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUOq8vpkZzY
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/13/crimea-tatars-fear-worst-prepares-referendum

Their leader wants to boycott the soon coming vote to join Russia.

I also heard that when the Crimean goverment decided about the vote to join Russia their Tatar representatives were not allowed to take part in that vote. Some claim that the Tatars weren't notified of the vote, others claimed that there were actually armed men stopping them from entering the goverment building and interfering with democracy. (But I haven't found a decent news site to confirm that claim so take it with a ton of salt.)

EDIT: http://www.hrw.org/news/2014/03/13/dispatches-black-thursday-moscow

Russia is shutting down independent news agencies. This is very alarming.

It might be the next step in their preparations for an full war ...or just the logical progress in their path to totalitarian dictatorship. (Hint, they are pretty far already.)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 12:10:14 pm by askold »

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
« Reply #111 on: March 15, 2014, 09:02:57 am »
Everyone else is waiting for the Crimea election result.  The election isn't really going to matter anyway, because there is no option for Crimea to stay with Ukraine and keep Russian Forces out.  The two options on the ballot allow for Russian forces to stay in Crimea. 

From what I've been reading from news and blogs, the Tartars are not going to welcome Russian forces with arms wide open.  Does anyone see a potential powder keg, or is it media sensationalism?

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #112 on: March 15, 2014, 08:09:55 pm »
Watch Putin take the 'No, we're not joining Russia' vote result as the last straw and invading.

... Boy, I'm getting bloodthirsty, hoping that the Ukraine just turns it into a war of attrition and Russia loses so many men that it's not worth it inside of a week.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Art Vandelay

« Reply #113 on: March 15, 2014, 11:06:38 pm »
Watch Putin take the 'No, we're not joining Russia' vote result as the last straw and invading.
They don't have that option in the first place. The choices are either join Russia, or let the local, pro-Russian government decide. Either way, they're joining Russia.

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
« Reply #114 on: March 16, 2014, 01:50:54 am »
From Elena's posting to different news agencies, reports are coming in that Russian forces have crept up north into mainland Ukraine.

In related news, the U.S. is planning to send 25,000 cases of Meals Ready to Eat (MRE's) to Ukraine for their request for supplies of any kind for their military. 

Protips for any Ukrainian service member reading this:  Heat the meals, and make sure you have some hot sauce on hand just in case you don't like the entre.  The Chili Mac is pretty good, especially when heated, the ravioli and Beef Stew MRE has M&Ms or Skittles.  If you don't want to gain a lot of weight, take the vegetarian meal.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #115 on: March 16, 2014, 08:32:07 am »
That is, of course, assuming that they eat the MREs and then sit around doing fuck all, which I highly doubt will be the case as military people generally like to keep their bodies moving to keep in, ya know, militarily-fit physical condition.  A fat soldier is a dead soldier.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2014, 04:02:06 pm »
That is, of course, assuming that they eat the MREs and then sit around doing fuck all, which I highly doubt will be the case as military people generally like to keep their bodies moving to keep in, ya know, militarily-fit physical condition.  A fat soldier is a dead soldier.

If war for them is anything like what U.S. soldiers experience, there can be some times of waiting.  Ukraine's military may not have, and pardon the pun, a big issue with overweight soldiers, but I bet you they are out there no matter what military.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2014, 05:25:23 pm »
I think part of Putin's problem is that he's been surrounded by sycophants for 14 years.  He's probably starting to buy into his own lies.

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #118 on: March 16, 2014, 09:12:12 pm »
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #119 on: March 16, 2014, 09:29:32 pm »
That is, not to put too fine a point on it, some bullshit.

-FDR