Author Topic: Dumbest Protest Signs  (Read 1114264 times)

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
Re: Dumbest Protest Signs
« Reply #1500 on: December 18, 2012, 01:38:54 am »

Still better than my middle-school fundie "health" textbook, which called that a 6-week embryo.

You're kidding me! Dude, I learned when I was nine what they looked like at the different stages of development (my mom wasn't too good at keeping her nursing books away from the kids).
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1501 on: December 18, 2012, 02:26:11 am »
I don't remember ever going over pregnancy too much in health class, or in sex ed.  It mostly boiled down to "these are the various horrifying diseases you can get from sex," "do not fuck," "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND ALL THAT'S HOLY, DO NOT FUCK!"

But, they didn't count on me reading encyclopedias like a god damned crazy person.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #1502 on: December 18, 2012, 04:09:00 am »

Well to be fair, the sperm cells and the eggs cells are human too. The difference is if the fetus is self aware or a person, not human.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #1503 on: December 18, 2012, 04:14:16 am »
I don't remember much from my high school sex ed classes. I do recall that they didn't go over any form of birth control, including abstinence, which was probably because it was a Jewish school. Judaism tends to use guilt instead of fear as a means of enforcing its religious laws. It goes "These are the rules. You are expected to follow them."
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #1504 on: December 18, 2012, 05:27:20 am »
Sounds like the Catholics. That Catholic guilt shit is still screwing me up (though I regard myself as a Catheist).
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #1505 on: December 18, 2012, 10:28:12 am »
Our sex ed was 90% anti-abortion stuff. The first 10 minutes was a brief intro to STD's, but the rest was about describing how bloody and painful abortions are. The lady even said "I know some of you disagree, but science shows that life begins at birth" and "Fetus does NOT mean "clump of cells", it means "little one". They also passed around toy fetuses from each week and month (I'm not sure how accurate they were), and talked about how great adoption was, and showed us this famous surgery where the fetus grabbed the surgeon's hand.

BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #1506 on: December 18, 2012, 10:29:58 am »
My sex ed did actually have condom lessons

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #1507 on: December 18, 2012, 10:35:13 am »
Just wondering, does anyone have an example of how big fetuses are per week/month?

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #1508 on: December 18, 2012, 11:12:15 am »
what 8 weeks really looks like

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #1509 on: December 18, 2012, 11:22:58 am »
Yeah... those fetus dolls were not accurate.
How early can a woman have an abortion?

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #1510 on: December 18, 2012, 11:24:37 am »
Not sure.  Also at 8 weeks it's the size of a kidney bean

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #1511 on: December 18, 2012, 11:33:57 am »

Good question. She can be pregnant, very early, not know it, and get absolutely shitfaced drunk, and kill the fetus. And there's RU486, also called the Morning After Pill. But if you mean going to the doctor or clinic with the intent of ending a pregnancy, I am pretty sure it's as soon as she realizes it.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #1512 on: December 18, 2012, 11:52:03 am »

Good question. She can be pregnant, very early, not know it, and get absolutely shitfaced drunk, and kill the fetus. And there's RU486, also called the Morning After Pill. But if you mean going to the doctor or clinic with the intent of ending a pregnancy, I am pretty sure it's as soon as she realizes it.

Where do you get morning after pills?

Side note, how do you(not just rookie, everyone in general) feel about abortion? I hear many hear talk about how it's not easy for a woman to get one, and most don't get them just for fun. In my opinion, I really don't care if a woman gets an abortion and doesn't care about the fetus at all (excluding really late abortions, when the fetus is practically a baby). Do the people that talk about how hard it is to have one prefer that women don't have as much emotional difficulty with it?

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #1513 on: December 18, 2012, 12:57:53 pm »
Personally? I don't like them. And Mrs. Rookie feels the same way. But that doesn't mean we're going to pressure, bully, guilt, or goad anyone else one way or the other. As far as other women, it's not something I've ever talked to anyone else about. Nor do I plan to. People can make their decisions.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #1514 on: December 18, 2012, 01:44:51 pm »
Not sure.  Also at 8 weeks it's the size of a kidney bean

Oh, they didn't lie to us about the sizes.  But the photos they used were deliberately mislabeled as being "younger" than they actually were.  What Wikipedia identifies as a photo (enlarged, of course) of a 7-week embryo is pretty much the exact same photo that my middle-school textbook (A Beka) and various Catholic "pro-life" pamphlets insisted was a 4-week embryo.

We were never lied to about how big embryos are, because that wasn't the part that tugs at your heartstrings.  "Tiny and helpless" is easy to use for emotional manipulation.  But the more they can convince you that a blastocyst looks like a newborn baby, the easier it is for them to convince you to ban all abortions ever.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!