Author Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic  (Read 642631 times)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
« Reply #2415 on: December 31, 2013, 09:14:36 am »
'Bout time we got a Rarity episode, finally. I'm sure next weeks episode will be interesting.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #2416 on: January 01, 2014, 10:49:04 am »
'Bout time we got a Rarity episode, finally. I'm sure next weeks episode will be interesting.

A Rarity episode?  Was there an extra episode this week that I missed?
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #2417 on: January 01, 2014, 12:26:06 pm »

A Rarity episode?  Was there an extra episode this week that I missed?

Nah, the episode this Saturday is a rarara episode.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #2418 on: January 04, 2014, 11:44:49 pm »
I'm surprised nobody's posted in this thread about the episode.  It wasn't too bad, but I can already see how people might not like it.  Then again I'm not sure that's saying much.  I don't hold the delusion that it's possible to have an episode that everybody in the fandom enjoys these days.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #2419 on: January 04, 2014, 11:57:31 pm »
I enjoyed it.

There was another way I thought they could have ended it, which may or may not have been better. Whatsernamebitchpony could have won the competition, but when they asked her to produce her designs for sale, she wouldn't know how to make more of the special fabric, proving her to be a fraud, and her underhandedness would have bitten her in the ass. Then they would have recognized Rarity as the rightful winner. But then again, it might have taken too much time to go that route.

Anyway, how long you figure until the Hinny of the Hills fan fiction and videos start showing up?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2420 on: January 05, 2014, 02:23:30 am »
Don't mind me.

Just.

Going.

To.

Put.

These.

Here.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2421 on: January 05, 2014, 03:09:19 am »
Never have raptors looked so adorable.

Sorry Iro... oh wait he doesn't read this thread.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Patches

• Bishop
« Reply #2422 on: January 05, 2014, 08:43:05 am »
I'm surprised nobody's posted in this thread about the episode.  It wasn't too bad, but I can already see how people might not like it.  Then again I'm not sure that's saying much.  I don't hold the delusion that it's possible to have an episode that everybody in the fandom enjoys these days.
I always love me a Rarity episode, and thought this one was generally decent.  There were a couple of pacing issues (half the stuff at the train station at the beginning could have been axed in favor of spending more time on her transition into a slave driver), and the execution of the moral felt more along the lines of "Bribery gets you stuff!" 

And the rest of the Mane 6 missing her show was a dick move.  They had Twilight "OCD" Sparkle with them, and their excuse was that they "overslept"?  Really?  If Twilight missed an appointment due to something like that, she would have been freaking out even more than Rarity, but she was just like, "Um, yeah, whoops."

But other than that I liked the episode.  I tend to like Rarity episodes in general due to them often playing the "business relationship" angle of things which leads to some more "adult" conflicts that you don't often see.  As an engineer, "Suited for Success" is still my favorite episode because that is ABSOLUTELY what happens when Marketing tries to tell Engineering how to do their jobs.  And this episode pretty much explained why Non-Disclosure Agreements exist.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #2423 on: January 05, 2014, 02:57:09 pm »
The largest complaint I've got (echoed by many folks I know) is that several of the cast just Don't Need To Be There.

Daring Don't? Between Dash and Twi, they could have had that locked up, no problem.  Twi herself is a walking mage nuke, for the Sister's sakes...

This last episode? AJ and Rarity.  That's it.  Rarity for the show, AJ for family.  No reason for the others to even go.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #2424 on: January 06, 2014, 08:20:12 pm »
Several episodes from now, Spike will lose it and go on a shooting spree.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #2425 on: January 06, 2014, 11:49:25 pm »

I really want to see him stop getting kicked around.  I seriously want to see him go... well, not 'Secret of my Excess' berserk, but enough downright pissed that he finally gets EVERYPONY'S attention, Celestia and Luna included, and just give them a piece of his mind.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #2426 on: January 07, 2014, 12:34:17 am »

I really want to see him stop getting kicked around.  I seriously want to see him go... well, not 'Secret of my Excess' berserk, but enough downright pissed that he finally gets EVERYPONY'S attention, Celestia and Luna included, and just give them a piece of his mind.
Please, for the love of Celestia, no more Spike episodes. Just, no. By the time "Spike at your Service" happened, I wanted to slap the writer(s) responsible. Please, please, please, no more Spike. Do an Applejack epp, or more Rarity, or even more Pinkie Pie. Do one about the background ponies, for heaven's sake![/rant]
To clarify, I don't dislike Spike, or think he's a bad character, I just hate how much focus he gets competed to some of the Mane Six (like Rarity and Applejack, as stated above). I realize there are legitimate reasons for, say, Applejack's lack of episodes (it's hard to do something meaningful with a character when she's already exactly where she wants to be), but I've had enough Spike to last me at least half a season, thanks.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2427 on: January 07, 2014, 02:02:16 am »
I actually liked most of the Spike-specific episodes ._.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #2428 on: January 07, 2014, 02:57:33 am »
I actually liked most of the Spike-specific episodes ._.
So did I (at least most of them, Spike at your Service rubbed me a wrong way). What I don't like is how common they are.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!