Author Topic: Why Are Black People Christian More Often Than Other People?  (Read 18153 times)

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
Re: Why Are Black People Christian More Often Than Other People?
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2012, 12:44:37 am »
I'm pretty sure you hate things.

Sure I do. But it would be great if all those things weren't problems.

In a world with nothing to get riled up about, I'm pretty sure he would hate being bored.

There'd be plenty to be riled up about. Parties, fireworks festivals, trips, trips, sex, ...

There's plenty of "love" to get riled up about and the world could focus more on that once there's not all these problems in the world.

All trolls eventually making the mistake of tipping their hand and crossing the line into just looking ridiculous instead of annoying.

You just crossed that line.

Offline TheReasonator

• Bishop
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2012, 04:21:25 am »

In a world with nothing to get riled up about, I'm pretty sure he would hate being bored.

There'd be plenty to be riled up about. Parties, fireworks festivals, trips, trips, sex, ...

There's plenty of "love" to get riled up about and the world could focus more on that once there's not all these problems in the world.

All trolls eventually making the mistake of tipping their hand and crossing the line into just looking ridiculous instead of annoying.

My point was that a person's attention can be occupied by multiple things, not just things a person hates but also things a person enjoys. Either way you can avoid boredom.

Now with all the things in the world now, those things I hate tend to be a bit more pressing, but if they were all resolved I wouldn't be bored because there are things that don't fit into the category of "thing I hate" that could occupy my time and attention.

Distind

« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2012, 06:22:12 am »
Just to drag this thread screaming back to it's original point.

My fiance is black, and is less religious than I am. Which is impressive, she doesn't even have the marginal background in any of it I'm used to seeing. As to why, well, from what I see there are at least three generations in her family that simply haven't bothered. Which may very well relate to her grandfather having been white, and at the time he married her grandmother it would have likely caused a few issues in church. But there's some questions I'm not asking.

But religious belief is pretty simple, typically inherited from family, typically lost by conflict with the church. The big difference between black and white churches is that black churches were central to achieving actual material gains in terms of civil rights in living memory. Some White churches having actively opposed them. Give it 20 years, then we can see where the stats go, but I'm betting that without serious scandal there will be minimal change in the percentage of religious individuals.

• The Beast
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2012, 04:34:54 pm »

My point was that a person's attention can be occupied by multiple things, not just things a person hates but also things a person enjoys. Either way you can avoid boredom.

Now with all the things in the world now, those things I hate tend to be a bit more pressing, but if they were all resolved I wouldn't be bored because there are things that don't fit into the category of "thing I hate" that could occupy my time and attention.

Do you even know what the phrase "riled up" means?

Offline TheReasonator

• Bishop
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2012, 02:55:09 am »

Do you even know what the phrase "riled up" means?

You're being awfully picky about words just so you can justify missing the point.
The point is we could have nothing to hate in the world and that wouldn't mean you would have to be bored because there are things that are interesting that aren't hateful.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2012, 03:06:35 am »
You're being awfully picky about words just so you can justify missing the point.
The point is we could have nothing to hate in the world and that wouldn't mean you would have to be bored because there are things that are interesting that aren't hateful.
A well fed and spoiled house cat will still hunt if you give it a chance.

Humans really aren't much different.

Offline TheReasonator

• Bishop
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2012, 04:29:54 am »
A well fed and spoiled house cat will still hunt if you give it a chance.

Humans really aren't much different.

Games of competition could occupy my interest. It doesn't need to be something real to hate to stave off boredom.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2012, 05:28:07 am »
Answer the bloody question.

Ironbite-do you know what riled up means?

Offline TheReasonator

• Bishop
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2012, 05:42:07 am »

Angry

• The Beast
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2012, 10:50:05 am »

Angry

You can then understand the absolute fucking ridiculousness of, say, saying "riled up about love"?

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2012, 10:54:20 am »
I think he just found out.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline TheReasonator

• Bishop
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2012, 12:12:23 pm »

Angry

You can then understand the absolute fucking ridiculousness of, say, saying "riled up about love"?

God I have to be so specific here...Do you people know what "the gist of it" means?
The point was that even without things to hate it's possible to avoid boredom.
Furthermore, more about "riled up". You could be riled up about a football game loss. That's anger and I suppose it is something to hate but when I say I wouldn't mind not having anything to hate in the world I'm not talking about that measly little level of hate, I'm talking about the bigger picture.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2012, 01:14:38 pm »

Angry

God I have to be so specific here...Do you people know what "the gist of it" means?
Furthermore, more about "riled up". You could be riled up about a football game loss. That's anger and I suppose it is something to hate but when I say I wouldn't mind not having anything to hate in the world I'm not talking about that measly little level of hate, I'm talking about the bigger picture.
The problem is people will take something little and turn it into something big just so they have something. Your use of football as an example is particularly ironic if you use the non-North American meaning of the word because soccer hooligans are the poster children of stupid mindless violence just for the sake of it.

• The Beast
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2012, 01:19:35 pm »

Angry

"The gist of it" =/= "the exact opposite of what you're trying to communicate." Words have meanings.

Also, while you might think that you could live without hatred, hate is fun and makes us happy. So, yes, you could, in fact, get bored.

Offline TheReasonator

• Bishop
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2012, 01:42:30 pm »

Angry

"The gist of it" =/= "the exact opposite of what you're trying to communicate." Words have meanings.

Also, while you might think that you could live without hatred, hate is fun and makes us happy. So, yes, you could, in fact, get bored.

Words have meanings that vary according to context. If words just had meanings in the strictest sense possible then languages would never change.

I suppose I could've been clearer I didn't mean to include soft hate in "hate". I just want a world without slavery, repression, police brutality, racism, sexism, homophobia, ableism... I couldn't care less if minor hatred continues and I suppose life could get pretty boring if it didn't.

The article on "What Your Anger May Be Hiding" makes sense. If you being cutoff in traffic, naturally it makes you fear for your life. When someone else takes an action that makes you fear for your life it makes sense to get angry at them. I could even imagine someone going too far in modifying their behavior to be OK with road rage then underreacting in more serious situations.

The article seems a bit biased against anger. "In short, if we can't comfort ourselves through self-validation, we'll need to do so through invalidating others. And people who suffer from chronic depression typically have not learned how to avail themselves of this potent, though ultimately self-defeating, defense."

So, invalidating homophobes and racists is a "self-defeating defense"? Sometimes people are invalid, not as a person as a whole but in the way they are interacting with you and so should be invalidated. Although I'd say "contempt" is probably more healthy a reaction than ordinary "anger".