Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 387559 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #3675 on: December 13, 2020, 09:46:04 am »
While Republicans and Trump's re-election team have been unable to prove claims of widespread election fraud, with 51 of 52 such cases being dismissed or withdrawn from court due to lack of evidence, Brooks' challenge would be a last-ditch effort to at least symbolically protest the election of President-elect Joe Biden while also pledging loyalty to Trump and avoiding the wrath of his supporters.

I think this paragraph sums it all up.

Ironbite-anyone who supports this shouldn't be sat in Congress.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3676 on: December 13, 2020, 12:22:46 pm »
While Republicans and Trump's re-election team have been unable to prove claims of widespread election fraud, with 51 of 52 such cases being dismissed or withdrawn from court due to lack of evidence, Brooks' challenge would be a last-ditch effort to at least symbolically protest the election of President-elect Joe Biden while also pledging loyalty to Trump and avoiding the wrath of his supporters.

I think this paragraph sums it all up.

Ironbite-anyone who supports this shouldn't be sat in Congress.

Very likely any Republican who doesn't support it won't be in Congress. It's why over half the House caucus supported Texas' suit at the Supreme Court, and the rest have been silent on whether Biden actually won. It's why the Senators who have said, yeah, Biden won are the ones who aren't too worried about re-election--for instance, Sasse and Collins just won, Murkowski already proved she can win as a write-in, and Toomey isn't running again. (There's more by now, but those are the names that come to mind.)

This is a loyalty test for 2022 and 2024.

EDIT: https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/biden-trump-electoral-college-votes-1.5840102

The Electoral College has voted, with a majority of votes cast for Joe Biden for President and Kamala Harris for Vice President.

Also, William Barr is resigning as Attorney General effective December 24.

EDIT #2: Roy Blunt and Lindsey Graham are the most recent Republican Senators to acknowledge Biden as President-elect, significant since Blunt is a member of Senate Republican leadership and Graham is a staunch Trump ally.

EDIT #3: https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/putin-biden-u-s-election-1.5841673

Mitch McConnell has acknowledged Biden's victory.

EDIT #4: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/15/mcconnell-gop-election-results-445524

So McConnell got on a conference call with Senate Republicans and asked them not to join Rep. Brooks' effort to challenge the election in Congress. Apparently, according to Sen. Capito, nobody on the call objected to McConnell's request, but Sen. Paul apparently hasn't ruled out joining Rep. Brooks, and Senator-elect Tommy Tuberville wasn't on the call.

My money's on Ted Cruz, though.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 01:38:33 am by dpareja »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #3677 on: December 17, 2020, 12:35:27 am »
I don't think Milo has to do anything to get his "revenge", the republicans are quite busy at work to destroy themselves the more wacky and out of touch they become.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3678 on: December 17, 2020, 12:41:34 am »
I don't think Milo has to do anything to get his "revenge", the republicans are quite busy at work to destroy themselves the more wacky and out of touch they become.

Not for a good long while so long as they can keep their pro-life voting base from paying too much attention to people like Scott DesJarlais.

EDIT: Also, looking at the 2022 US Senate elections, it's arguably neither as bad for Republicans as this year's, nor as bad for Democrats as 2018.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 01:56:47 pm by dpareja »
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #3679 on: December 19, 2020, 09:06:03 pm »
So Trump is apparently thinking about declaring martial law in swing states and have the military redo the election. As being suggested by Worm tongue. I mean Sydney Powell. You know basically committing what might be treason against state governments.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3680 on: December 20, 2020, 05:32:40 am »
Remember the Jade Helm controversy?

Weird how the same people who were freaking out in fear of Obama declarin martial law and taking over the country (from himself?) are now really, really quiet at the prospect of Trump using the military to stay in power.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3681 on: December 20, 2020, 06:32:33 am »
I would not be at all surprised if many of the same people who insisted that all Bloc Québécois MPs (if not voters) should be treated as traitors, not seated in the House of Commons, denied parliamentary pensions, have their votes disregarded (such as for same-sex marriage), and so on, now support the Maverick Party (formerly the Wexit Party).

Everyone in politics can be counted on to be wilfully blind to their own hypocrisy when it suits their ends.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3682 on: December 20, 2020, 06:59:10 am »
So Trump is apparently thinking about declaring martial law in swing states and have the military redo the election. As being suggested by Worm tongue. I mean Sydney Powell. You know basically committing what might be treason against state governments.

That particular brand of insanity is coming from Flynn.  Powell is being touted as being named Special Council to investigate the Dominion Voting Machines that somehow switched Trump votes for Biden votes in deep red states.

Ironbite-Gulianni has awoken from his nap to say these are VERY bad ideas.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #3683 on: December 20, 2020, 09:56:08 am »
Remember the Jade Helm controversy?

Weird how the same people who were freaking out in fear of Obama declarin martial law and taking over the country (from himself?) are now really, really quiet at the prospect of Trump using the military to stay in power.

Oh they're not quiet at all. Going over to parler if you can stomach it. His crazed supporters are all for this.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3684 on: December 23, 2020, 09:27:59 pm »
https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-avenue/2020/11/09/biden-voting-counties-equal-70-of-americas-economy-what-does-this-mean-for-the-nations-political-economic-divide/

I only saw this now, but this is an interesting analysis by the Brookings Institute about how economic activity lines up with partisan voting patterns in the US.

EDIT: Meanwhile, Hawley, Cruz, and a host of other Republican Senators have said that they'll vote against certifying the electoral votes from certain states which Biden won.

Both McConnell and Thune have acknowledged Biden as President-elect, however, Thune going so far as to say that their plan will "go down like a shot dog" in the Senate (never mind that it will die in the House due to the Democratic majority in that chamber).

EDIT #2: https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/trump-call-defence-state-1.5861147

Could Trump face criminal charges for his phone call to Raffensperger?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 03:49:15 pm by dpareja »

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #3685 on: January 06, 2021, 03:43:06 am »
it's incredible how much of the conspiracies about Clinton/Obama/current democrat supporting x, y, or z treasonous evil nefarious plot was just projection, constantly.

Offline DarkPhoenix

• Bishop
« Reply #3686 on: January 06, 2021, 11:00:35 am »
Hey, Mitch you asshole!  Enjoy being the Senate MINORITY Leader!

Of course, knowing that asshole, now that it's known he won't be in charge, he'll start whining about the lack of bipartisanship in the Senate.  Any minute now...

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3687 on: January 06, 2021, 12:15:36 pm »
NYT still has Perdue vs Ossoff as too close to call.

Also I wouldn't put it past Manchin to switch parties.

EDIT: https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/washington-protesters-1.5863486

Meanwhile, protesters have breached the US Capitol.

Hope anyone who lives in the DC area is safe.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 03:07:12 pm by dpareja »

Offline Vanto

• Bishop
« Reply #3688 on: January 06, 2021, 05:22:40 pm »
I was afraid of something like this. This is a natural consequence of normalizing the use of mass violence to achieve political ends.
Stop the timeline, I wanna get off.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #3689 on: January 06, 2021, 05:24:41 pm »
Well good news is that the democrats took the senate.