Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 387663 times)

Offline Id82

• The Beast
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #495 on: January 25, 2017, 12:37:42 am »
I hope Trump doesn't think that because he signed a paper it just doesn't make it so. I don't see congress even being republican going along with this. The republicans who don't like to spend money on infrastructure are not just going to net billions to build a worthless wall. I hope Trump throws a hissy fit. You can't cut taxes and then just build this wall. Not to mention all of the issues with people owning land on the border who didn't sell it last time this was tried.  And when the population picks up on that it's coming out of our taxes i think the popularity of this wall will drop.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #496 on: January 25, 2017, 01:00:56 am »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2017/01/23/repealing-the-affordable-care-act-will-kill-more-than-43000-people-annually/?utm_term=.c929b701cba1

http://www.pnhp.org/excessdeaths/health-insurance-and-mortality-in-US-adults.pdf

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa1202099

For every 455 people who gain health coverage in the US, one life is saved per year.

So when you strip health insurance from twenty million people--which is what repealing the Affordable Care Act will do--you add, on average, almost 44,000 deaths per year.

So for the sake of giving the finger to Barack Obama's signature legislative achievement (which, as I have said so many times, is what the Republicans had been proposing for decades) and giving a massive tax cut to the 400 richest families in the US, the Republican Party is willing to kill well over forty thousand people per year.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #497 on: January 25, 2017, 01:11:58 am »
All Hail King Porky. They should be GLAD they die for his chubby glory!/s
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #498 on: January 25, 2017, 01:37:18 am »
So for the sake of giving the finger to Barack Obama's signature legislative achievement (which, as I have said so many times, is what the Republicans had been proposing for decades) and giving a massive tax cut to the 400 richest families in the US, the Republican Party is willing to kill well over forty thousand people per year.
Hell, they've been more than prepared to kill foreign lives for politics. So have the blue dogs. Not just foreign lives, how many are unnecessarily killed because of "tough on crime" policing or the war on drugs?

Being prepared to shed others blood for a few political points isn't that unusual unfortunately.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #499 on: January 25, 2017, 01:47:48 am »
...Aaand just in case it wasn't mentioned before, alt-news (formerly known as fake-news) are now preferable in the White house:

https://thinkprogress.org/sean-spicer-lifezette-fake-news-5d52a18ffa80#.lomnc9gb8

No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #500 on: January 25, 2017, 03:01:56 am »
https://theintercept.com/2017/01/23/14-senate-democrats-fall-in-line-behind-trump-cia-pick-who-left-door-open-to-torture/

Meanwhile, Rep. Mike Pompeo, who's in favour of torture and wants to kill Edward Snowden, was approved as CIA Director.

With fourteen Democratic votes.

Breaking it down:

Republicans voting against: Rand Paul (R-KY).

Democrats voting for: Joe Donnelly (D-IN), Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), Maggie Hassan (D-NH), Heidi Heitkamp (D-ND), Tim Kaine (D-VA), Amy Klobuchar (D-MN), Joe Manchin (D-WV), Claire McCaskill (D-MO), Jack Reed (D-RI), Brian Schatz (D-HI), Chuck Schumer (D-NY), Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH), Mark Warner (D-VA), Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI).

Angus King (I-ME), who caucuses with the Democrats, voted in favour of confirming Rep. Pompeo. Bernie Sanders (I-VT), who also caucuses with the Democrats, voted against confirming Rep. Pompeo. Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) and Chris Murphy (D-CT) did not vote.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #501 on: January 25, 2017, 03:14:35 am »

Democrats voting for: Joe Donnelly (D-IN), Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), Maggie Hassan (D-NH), Heidi Heitkamp (D-ND), Tim Kaine (D-VA), Amy Klobuchar (D-MN), Joe Manchin (D-WV), Claire McCaskill (D-MO), Jack Reed (D-RI), Brian Schatz (D-HI), Chuck Schumer (D-NY), Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH), Mark Warner (D-VA), Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI).

Angus King (I-ME), who caucuses with the Democrats, voted in favour of confirming Rep. Pompeo. Bernie Sanders (I-VT), who also caucuses with the Democrats, voted against confirming Rep. Pompeo. Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) and Chris Murphy (D-CT) did not vote.
"Opposition"? Surely you jest!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #502 on: January 25, 2017, 03:23:46 am »

They're taking the "Loyal" part of "Loyal Opposition" too literally.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #503 on: January 25, 2017, 07:47:28 am »

They're taking the "Loyal" part of "Loyal Opposition" too literally.
The new test of loyalty will apparently be celebrating Trump's Inauguration Day as a National Day of Patriotic Devotion.

If there is a human being in the history of ever with a larger and more fragile ego, let me know.

Offline Murdin

• Bishop
« Reply #504 on: January 25, 2017, 10:46:13 am »
Every time I see Kaine's name in a list like this one, I am reminded that the USA sealed their doom not on January 20th, nor on November 8th, but on July 7th.

I wasn't even a big fan of Sanders, but "better than Obama" is a surprisingly high bar for politicians to reach.

The new test of loyalty will apparently be celebrating Trump's Inauguration Day as a National Day of Patriotic Devotion.

If there is a human being in the history of ever with a larger and more fragile ego, let me know.

Obama practiced the same kind of self-aggrandizement with his "Day of Renewal and Reconciliation", so Trump had a precedent to back him up. The choice of name is still a tad worrying as an endorsement of exceptionalism, but coming from this team in particular, that's not exactly anything new or surprising.

EDIT: looks like Dear Leader is trying to rewrite his popular vote loss into a win. Since this is far from his first shot at "alternative biographing" himself success out of abject failure and he now has the immense power of the state in his tiny, tiny hands, I fully accept the possibility that official reality will conform to his wishes.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 12:39:07 pm by Murdin »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #505 on: January 25, 2017, 12:49:18 pm »
Hey, it worked for Stalin.  Its amazing how a little book editing and early 20th century Photoshop magic can turn someone that Lenin thought to be the greatest threat to the Soviet Union into one of Lenin's best buddies.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #506 on: January 25, 2017, 01:52:22 pm »
Dammit Trump! http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/316099-trump-still-uses-unsecured-android-phone

Why are you so incompetent?!

And what are the odds that the people who criticised Clinton for usin non government phone and email say a single word about this?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #507 on: January 25, 2017, 03:10:28 pm »
They won't just like they won't complain about Trump using tons of executive orders.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #508 on: January 26, 2017, 02:49:30 am »
http://thehill.com/policy/transportation/315963-gop-pans-democrats-1-trillion-infrastructure-package

You know how Trump talked about spending as much as a trillion dollars on infrastructure? Probably one of the things he talked about most, alongside building the wall, getting out of TPP, and renegotiating NAFTA.

Well, the Democrats proposed doing just that.

And the GOP shot it down.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #509 on: January 26, 2017, 03:26:15 am »
Well, you see, investing in infrastructure would actually help people and they're too busy blocking funding for abortions that is already blocked to actually help people.
Who needs a signature?