Author Topic: 2016 Democratic Presidential Primaries  (Read 101170 times)

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
Re: 2016 Democratic Presidential Primaries
« Reply #120 on: February 23, 2016, 10:22:07 pm »
You kids and your political debates.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #121 on: February 23, 2016, 11:03:56 pm »
....you know he was kinda perfectly clear.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2016, 01:23:44 am »
I still think that Niam was more sensible than the people who say that they'll vote for the candidate they think is the worst one as a revenge if the one they think is the best does not get a chance.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #123 on: February 24, 2016, 06:47:22 am »
Oh, FYI, I live in Florida, so no matter what happens, we (and by 'we' I mean Rick Scott and the rest of our state gov't) will **** up the election somehow.  Last time, he closed half the voting locations, thinking it would cause Obama voters to not show up.  Fortunately it failed, but he's always up to something.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #124 on: February 24, 2016, 09:45:54 am »
Florida gets blue-er by the minute, though. Third most populous state, now, and every vote really counts this time. If I were back in Georgia, I wouldn't be so adamant about that. The Electoral College winner take all thing is such infuriating bullshit.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

pyro

« Reply #125 on: February 24, 2016, 10:33:01 am »
I still think that Niam was more sensible than the people who say that they'll vote for the candidate they think is the worst one as a revenge if the one they think is the best does not get a chance.

To be fair, Queen was obviously being sarcastic. #AnybodyButTrump

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #126 on: February 24, 2016, 04:05:16 pm »
Florida gets blue-er by the minute, though. Third most populous state, now, and every vote really counts this time. If I were back in Georgia, I wouldn't be so adamant about that. The Electoral College winner take all thing is such infuriating bullshit.

Then pressure your state government to change how it allocates its electors. Maine and Nebraska allocate one elector to the winner of the vote in each Congressional seat (so two to the statewide winner, for the two Senate seats, and one for each House district), but this system would probably favour Republicans due to gerrymandering. There's also the National Popular Vote compact, which, once states with at least 270 electoral votes between them sign on, would kick in and make all those states allocate their electors to the winner of the, as the name suggests, national popular vote. It's left exclusively to each state to decide how to allocate its electors (I can't find a link to the decision, but I believe the Supreme Court's 1966 decision Delaware v New York settled this firmly).
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #127 on: February 24, 2016, 05:30:40 pm »
I am beginning to think Trump is a real chance in the general election. In Nevada he polled well with the Hispanics, Women and well educated. Congratulations America you have managed to turn your electoral system into reality television.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #128 on: February 24, 2016, 06:13:39 pm »
And I don't think the calculus is that the GOP would auto go obstructionist. There is the possibility that an obstructionist front to an appointment could hurt them in the general, and then give the dems another 4 or 8 years in the White house (during which time they may get to replace Ginsburg, Kennedy, and Breyer). In that sense, it would make more sense for the GOP establishment to allow Obama to appoint a justice, let the Court go liberal for a year or two, wait for Ginsberg to die, and then replace her with a conservative to reset the balance.

I would honestly be surprised to see the senate not have a replacement appointed before August.

I'd be surprised to see them even holding hearings on anyone considering McConnell's reaction to news that Gov. Brian Sandoval may be Obama's pick:

This nomination will be determined by whoever wins the presidency in the fall.

Sandoval would seem to be a good compromise candidate: Republican, supports gun rights, supports abortion rights, former federal judge appointed by George W. Bush. But McConnell's having none of it.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #129 on: February 24, 2016, 06:39:33 pm »
I think it would be crazy for Obama to appoint a republican even a moderate one.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #130 on: February 24, 2016, 06:53:44 pm »
I think it would be crazy for Obama to appoint a republican even a moderate one.

Why?

He is a moderate republican.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #131 on: February 24, 2016, 06:57:47 pm »

Why?

He is a moderate republican.

Booom. Although I think Obama is pretty firmly centrist which makes him dangerously left wing in US politics at the moment. Even ST Ronald would be considered a pinko by these guys.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #132 on: February 24, 2016, 07:16:49 pm »

No, it wouldn't.

Gun issues can be done via executive order--just enforce the laws on the books. (I'm sure plenty of Republicans, not just ones in Congress, would say that at least some of Obama's recent executive orders on that went beyond what those laws allow, but even if that's true, executive orders can be changed.)

Abortion is another matter, and Sandoval supports abortion rights (presumably freer access than what Reagan favoured, which regularly gets anywhere from 40% to 60% support in polls). That's not something the President can do via executive order, so in the balance, it's probably more important to find someone who'll support abortion rights than someone who will support firearm restrictions.

But the real clincher with Sandoval (if he's the nominee) is that he was a judge appointed by Bush, and he's a sitting Republican governor. That will make it very difficult for the Senate GOP to continue their attacks, and nominating Sandoval could probably get Collins, Graham and McCain (the only remaining members of the Gang of 14) onside, and possibly the one more Obama would need to get the nominee through.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #133 on: February 24, 2016, 07:35:05 pm »
I suppose that is very astute politically and will put the Senate republicans between a rock and  a hard place. Where does he stand on campaign finance reform?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #134 on: February 24, 2016, 07:40:10 pm »
I suppose that is very astute politically and will put the Senate republicans between a rock and  a hard place. Where does he stand on campaign finance reform?

No clue, but it's not like he could make the situation much worse than it is now.