Author Topic: 2016 Democratic Presidential Primaries  (Read 101162 times)

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
Re: 2016 Democratic Presidential Primaries
« Reply #270 on: March 25, 2016, 07:23:05 pm »
Couldn't possibly have anything to do with the rest of my post could it? You know, those parts where I detail why Hillary isn't worse than Hitler, why she would be infinitely better than the GOP, and why Bernie isn't perfect.

If you want to believe that, knock yourself out.

I have invective, sure. But I also have points.

Be that as it may, I have no interest in debating with someone who "already thought very little of" me. Once upon a time I had a fairly positive opinion of you, which is why I used to be willing to debate you. But the feeling of thinking "very little of you" has since become mutual, which is why I now give you the courtesy of refraining from engaging with you.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER

pyro

« Reply #272 on: March 25, 2016, 09:59:58 pm »
I'm going to vote against the GOP, and that means voting for the Dems.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #273 on: March 29, 2016, 02:13:16 am »
I also think it is delusional to think that Trump will be a single term president. The fact that the most incompetent president since Taft got two terms (GWB) makes me think in all likelihood Trump would get two terms. Reagan who was also a joke got two terms. The only candidate likely to only get one term is Bernie alla Jimmy Carter (a greatly underrated President) because the ideology will crash against the rocks of a difficult house.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #274 on: March 29, 2016, 04:40:44 am »
I also think it is delusional to think that Trump will be a single term president. The fact that the most incompetent president since Taft got two terms (GWB) makes me think in all likelihood Trump would get two terms. Reagan who was also a joke got two terms. The only candidate likely to only get one term is Bernie alla Jimmy Carter (a greatly underrated President) because the ideology will crash against the rocks of a difficult house.

Obama got 2 terms despite working with a house that would've blocked Breathing if he supported it.  If Sanders accomplishes 10% of what he wants, I think he could easily get 2 terms.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #275 on: March 29, 2016, 08:22:31 am »

If the Republicans decide to fall in line behind Trump it could be two terms. That assumes they don't end up swinging so far to the right in the process they hemorrhage the last of their moderate voters to the republican-lite party and loose that way.

If they don't fall in line Trump is isolated and under attack from all sides. To separate brand names he will first be painted as a rogue president by the republicans and then they will start their stonewall/cock block campaign. Arrogance and lack of experience will lead to him making a mistake that he can be impeached over, and if it's big enough to not look like a petty little political witch hunt, they'll go for it.

The only real problem with this scenario is that they lack a strong leader to rally around, point to, and say 'THIS is the Republican party.'

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #276 on: March 29, 2016, 09:31:38 am »
When I was a kid we were shown a documentry on the holocaust in school.  There was one survivor who remembered his mom started crying when Hitler first became chancellor of Germany.  His Dad comforted her saying "Don't worry, he won't last a week."

Let's not make assumptions about how Trump is going to fail. 

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #277 on: March 29, 2016, 12:07:59 pm »
Let's not make assumptions about how Trump is going to fail.

Fortunately, he still has to succeed first and it's quite debatable if he can pull that off.

If he can things get interesting... and not in a good way. A unified far right party is bad for obvious reasons, but a crippled right wing will lead to another extended spell of negligible progress after you've just been through eight years of it, and the US (like everyone else) has issues to deal with. It could also pull the democrats even further to the right in an attempt to use the opportunity to carve out a more 'central' position that steals a large enough block of republicans to keep them out of power permanently. That would kill left wing aspirations for a long time.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #278 on: March 29, 2016, 12:46:14 pm »
I agree with all this how bad Trump would be as president. But Cruz wouldn't really be much better. His views on Women are enough to concern me. As well as immigration, faith, and a few other things.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #279 on: March 29, 2016, 02:53:02 pm »
Look at the Trump and Cruz tax plans. Both are wholesale rape and pillage of the 99%.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline MaybeNever

• Got His Red Wings
  • Pope
  • Possessed of a proclivity for prolixity
« Reply #280 on: March 30, 2016, 12:11:52 am »
Look at the Trump and Cruz tax plans. Both are wholesale rape and pillage of the 99%.

Yeah, but at least the planet will go hurtling into the sun shortly thereafter.

Fortunately, he still has to succeed first and it's quite debatable if he can pull that off.

Agreed. While polling this early isn't exactly ironclad, virtually every match up of Clinton and Trump this year has her winning by about 10 points. Bernie does even better, winning by 15 to 25 points. And that's assuming he can win the nomination without splintering the Republican party. By contrast, Kasich polls quite well in the general, but is mathematically incapable of winning enough delegates to guarantee his nomination at this point.

If he can things get interesting... and not in a good way. A unified far right party is bad for obvious reasons, but a crippled right wing will lead to another extended spell of negligible progress after you've just been through eight years of it, and the US (like everyone else) has issues to deal with. It could also pull the democrats even further to the right in an attempt to use the opportunity to carve out a more 'central' position that steals a large enough block of republicans to keep them out of power permanently. That would kill left wing aspirations for a long time.

The Dems have historically and on most issues tacked slowly leftward, free trade being a strange exception. I don't see them making a lunge for the center except maybe on a couple of key issues. Even if some in the party wanted that, I doubt there's enough cohesion in the party to force a broad shift.
"Great Britain's two most senior military officers added to the uneasiness. [...] Lord Wolseley, Adjutant General, thought that it might be possible for an enemy to invade without waiters and pastrycooks."
-Robert K. Massie, Dreadnought

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #281 on: March 30, 2016, 01:02:21 am »

Obama got 2 terms despite working with a house that would've blocked Breathing if he supported it.  If Sanders accomplishes 10% of what he wants, I think he could easily get 2 terms.

And yet Obama gets pilloried for moving to the right or being too moderate (or right wing). All the while accomplishing a healthcare reform which nearly undid Bill Clinton (who whatever you think about him was a fucking consumate politician).

If Sanders doesn't compromise he won't accomplish even 10% of what he wants and either way all his supporters will be devastated.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #282 on: March 30, 2016, 01:57:21 am »
http://usuncut.com/politics/alaska-superdelegate/

TL;DR the Although Bernie "won" Alaska a super delegate from that state is going to vote for Hillary because Bernie's supporters are rude and Hillary would be a better president.

METCALFE: I’m in the pocket of no one. I have no financial connections to Hillary Clinton or any other Democrat. I am a retired union representative. I put in my time in the trenches for 40 years, and I really object to someone like you who has probably done nothing except caucus telling me what to do. I am voting for the best interests of my country. And that would be Hillary Clinton.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 05:06:50 am by Askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #283 on: March 30, 2016, 10:13:15 am »
*facepalms*

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #284 on: March 30, 2016, 10:35:58 am »
Kim Metcalf = name the same as Kim Davis, another self-appointed petty dictator. Metcalf, translate to "fattened calf" in Medieval English. Thusly, I'm taking out my old lady street cred license and calling her a bossy cow. She must've been a blast to deal with as a union rep all those years, too.

Further, I'd like to propose that the first name "Kim" (not the ubiquitous Korean surname) be added to that list of strangely common first names of so many white American eccentrics, malcontents, local officials, and criminals which appear in thousands of news articles over the past 4 decades: "Wayne" and "Tonya", please welcome and make plenty of room for "Kim".

Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.