Author Topic: 2016 Democratic Presidential Primaries  (Read 101169 times)

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
Re: 2016 Democratic Presidential Primaries
« Reply #375 on: April 21, 2016, 04:49:30 am »
I think it's more along the lines of people feeling that if Sanders doesn't win, we're screwed no matter who wins so let's not even bother with the lube.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #376 on: April 21, 2016, 09:25:11 am »
I think it's more along the lines of people feeling that if Sanders doesn't win, we're screwed no matter who wins so let's not even bother with the lube.
I imagine that the reasons vary. Some are sheltered narcissists, some are ready to say fuck it, and some people are just desperate enough to risk everything and play the gambit.

From a Canadian perspective, the original Clinton years were pretty good for us. Another round of them would probably be similar. Would I like to see you swing harder left with your social policies? Hell yes, I think it would help your economy which helps us, but honestly, you're not ready for that. As a nation you're too divided right now.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #377 on: April 27, 2016, 12:09:12 am »
How long before Bernie's campaign starts asking superdelegates to switch to him despite Hillary leading the pledged delegate count?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #378 on: April 27, 2016, 12:19:18 am »
How long before Bernie's campaign starts asking superdelegates to switch to him despite Hillary leading the pledged delegate count?

They already are.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #379 on: April 27, 2016, 12:20:04 am »
That's a bit embarrassing.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #380 on: April 27, 2016, 12:22:13 am »

They're trying to make the case for superdelegate votes on the grounds that the polling regularly indicates that Sanders does better against all three Republicans still in the race than Clinton does.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #381 on: April 27, 2016, 12:44:10 am »

They're trying to make the case for superdelegate votes on the grounds that the polling regularly indicates that Sanders does better against all three Republicans still in the race than Clinton does.

Which is quite misleading as those polls have little predictive value. Even more so when you consider the GOP has been doing their damnedest these last 25 years to fabricate any scandal to use against Hillary (even openly stating that Benghazi was a success because it hurt her poll numbers), while Bernie hasn't been on the receiving end of any negative attention.

And speaking of Super Delegates: if you include them, then Clinton is only 242 away from the nomination (including the delegates that have been announced today). Most of the upcoming states will probably skew Sanders, but not enough to give him the election. Kentucky and Indiana will probably go Bernie in squeakers, as they mirror Missouri demographically. Additionally, there are the Dakotas, Oregon, and Montana which would vote for Bernie if the election were between him and blowjobs, and they were giving out free samples. However, all 6 of these states combine for 258 of the remaining 1016 delegates. Nevertheless, that is roughly the size of New York.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #382 on: April 27, 2016, 01:10:23 am »

Apart from the fact that at the beginning of the primaries they were dead against them for being undemocratic and subverting the will of the people.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #383 on: April 27, 2016, 08:22:49 am »

Apart from the fact that at the beginning of the primaries they were dead against them for being undemocratic and subverting the will of the people.

Come on, you know the number one rule of politics is that it's always different when your guy does it. I mean, back then it was undemocratic for Hillary to be endorsed by all those superdelegates. Now, it's just the rules of the game that were set at the outside.

Jeeze, get with it old man.  :P

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #384 on: May 01, 2016, 01:11:29 am »
http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P16/IA-D#0430

Looks like support for Sanders is slipping: of the district convention delegates elected from the Iowa caucuses, four of Clinton's didn't show up at the district conventions... but twelve of Sanders' didn't show.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #385 on: May 01, 2016, 11:03:01 pm »
I love ya Bernie but at this point it's time to throw in the towel.  You're not going to get the superdelegates on your side, just pack it in.  Stay in the race though, but do it to keep Hillary from drifting right.

Anyway this was a really interesting article on Hillary and Bernie
http://www.vox.com/2016/5/1/11549570/obama-correspondents-dinner-joke

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #386 on: May 02, 2016, 12:08:22 am »
I love ya Bernie but at this point it's time to throw in the towel.  You're not going to get the superdelegates on your side, just pack it in.  Stay in the race though, but do it to keep Hillary from drifting right.

Hillary has no incentive to drift to the left if it's a near-certainty she'll win the nomination. She has nothing to lose by pissing off a segment of the Democratic voter base who won't vote for her based on her past record anyway. Now, drifting to the right? There are a lot of disillusioned wealthy donors out there who know the Republican candidates are a joke.

Clinton will likely be the next president, and let's not kid ourselves; Clinton will likely accept more bribes from Wall Street and the international arms trade which will help shape her administration's policies.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #387 on: May 02, 2016, 12:48:38 am »
And as shitty as it is, it's so better than Trump or Cruz.

ETA: I think.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #388 on: May 02, 2016, 08:22:24 pm »

Anyway this was a really interesting article on Hillary and Bernie
http://www.vox.com/2016/5/1/11549570/obama-correspondents-dinner-joke

Thank you so much for posting this, because it pretty much sums up how I've felt about this election since July. In 2008, I voted for hope and change, and Obama quickly abandoned those ideals in favor of compromise and watered down solutions. The legislation he pushed and passed wasn't revolution nor was it sexy--but it helped people. Obamacare gave 16 million people health insurance who otherwise wouldn't have it. The Lily Ledbetter fair pay act allowed women an opportunity to sue for pay discrimination that we couldn't sue for previously. His SCoTUS appointments are pretty much the ONLY reason that same-sex marriage is now legal in this country, and a GOP candidate would just as easily undo that. Believe me, I want nothing more than to see America get its head out of its ass and implement the real change that a certain Senator from Vermont espouses. But, until he can show me that he can implement such change, I'm going to vote for the more pragmatic politician, if only because that vote will help people now. In essence, I'm more than content to put my ideals on the backburner if doing so would help those most in need.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #389 on: May 02, 2016, 11:36:21 pm »
The really big test for Bernie's supporters is whether they can stay active and make some inroads in the congressional elections in 2 years time.