Author Topic: 2016 Democratic Presidential Primaries  (Read 101165 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: 2016 Democratic Presidential Primaries
« Reply #510 on: June 17, 2016, 03:32:16 am »
Did you know that some Republicans are now supporting Clinton rather than Trump? And not just the average voters, some Republican politicians also prefer her rather than Trump or Sanders.

I'll try to link the article after work.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #511 on: June 17, 2016, 03:37:12 am »
Frankly, that makes me uncomfortable. The modern Republican party is utterly vile. The idea that a democratic candidate could get support from anyone to the right of Eisenhower is worrying.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #512 on: June 17, 2016, 03:48:32 am »
Would you prefer that they all support Trump?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #513 on: June 17, 2016, 03:57:00 am »
As long as it's just conservatives, sure. It would help invalidate their political movement.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #514 on: June 17, 2016, 05:49:57 pm »
Did you know that some Republicans are now supporting Clinton rather than Trump? And not just the average voters, some Republican politicians also prefer her rather than Trump or Sanders.

I'll try to link the article after work.
makes sense, Clinton talks a lot about she'll be big into doing things to appeal to Conservatives, and make as many concessions as she can as to avoid threatening conservatives.

I mean, lots of her supporters like her (at least in part) because she's moderate.

1. Republicans that endorse her are not doing so because they think she's their BFF. They're supporting her because they find the idea of a liberal democrat to be less repugnant than whatever the fuck Trump is.

2. Lizard, you're 2/10 on the troll meter. Go back to troll school. Or at least back a few pages where I posted this. Turns out, she's a hardcore liberal. Seriously, if people just did basic research, they would find out that there isn't any evidence in her voting record of being in the pocket of the big banks, and if people just looked at politifact, they'd find out she's fundamentally honest. I'm not saying she's perfect, but the most common criticisms of her have little to no basis in reality.

3. I'm gonna stay on Lizard. You've admitted to being wrong about Clinton so many times before that I'm not going to rehash. Actually, yes I will. First it was about Haiti, then you posted contradictory things about Honduras* and Libya, then you say we "shouldn't have gotten involved in the first place" only to flip-flop when you found out Sanders supported intervention in Libya. Now, I'm not going to sit here and say Clinton is perfect; she isn't. She, like Sanders and EVERY other politician, has made mistakes, but the fact that you spout a reason to dislike her, find out it is wrong, and then come back with a new (and equally incorrect) reason to dislike her, really does give off the appearance that your opposition is not due to coherent reasoning, but something else.

*showing you had a fundamental misunderstanding about the Honduran coup, since you thought we shouldn't have gotten involved in the first place, which is the precise reason that Clinton was criticized.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #515 on: June 17, 2016, 06:05:11 pm »
Oh come on Queen.  You know Clinton is a hardcore politician who'll do anything to get ahead.  Yeah her voting record might show her to be a liberal agitator but she still voted for the Iraq war.

Ironbite-that's a huge hit to her being a liberal.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #516 on: June 17, 2016, 07:20:12 pm »
Oh come on Queen.  You know Clinton is a hardcore politician who'll do anything to get ahead.  Yeah her voting record might show her to be a liberal agitator but she still voted for the Iraq war.

Ironbite-that's a huge hit to her being a liberal.

Yeah, cause that is how a "record" works: we look at the worst event in isolation and go from there. By that logic, Bernie isn't a Wall Street crony because he voted for the largest wall street deregulation bill in American history.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #517 on: June 17, 2016, 07:35:22 pm »
Whatever arguments are made for or against Clinton, for or against Trump, or for or against any third-party candidate, I predict that this election will set the record for most noses held (at least mentally) while voting.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #518 on: June 17, 2016, 07:45:33 pm »
Whatever arguments are made for or against Clinton, for or against Trump, or for or against any third-party candidate, I predict that this election will set the record for most noses held (at least mentally) while voting.

Do you think this will shake up the two-party system?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #519 on: June 17, 2016, 07:47:56 pm »
No.  First past the post ensures a two-party system.  The parties themselves (esp. the Republicans) might see a significant schism, but the number of parties will not change in any effective or meaningful way.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #520 on: June 17, 2016, 07:52:48 pm »
No.  First past the post ensures a two-party system.  The parties themselves (esp. the Republicans) might see a significant schism, but the number of parties will not change in any effective or meaningful way.

Yeah, this might presage a realignment of the coalitions, but introducing a true multi-party system requires significant electoral reform.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

pyro

« Reply #521 on: June 18, 2016, 12:31:34 am »
Frankly, that makes me uncomfortable. The modern Republican party is utterly vile. The idea that a democratic candidate could get support from anyone to the right of Eisenhower is worrying.

Yeah! Same reason I oppose animal rights, considering how utterly vile the Nazi party was.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #523 on: June 18, 2016, 07:16:14 pm »
No, originally you said Honduras alongside Libya and saying "we shouldn't have gotten involved in the first place." 

But, even then, your Honduras argument about aid is a half truth. It was not giving aid, but continuing aid that should have been ceased after the coup. And this criticism doesn't mesh with your criticism of Hillary for Iran's sanction, as ceasing aid to Honduras would disproportionately affect the people who are already under a military dictatorship. Your argument seems to be a damned if you do, damned if you don't, so long as your name is Hillary: that is the only consistent part of your position.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #524 on: June 19, 2016, 01:47:55 am »

Do you think this will shake up the two-party system?

Hopefully the Republican party will burn.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR