Author Topic: 2016 Democratic Presidential Primaries  (Read 101169 times)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: 2016 Democratic Presidential Primaries
« Reply #526 on: June 24, 2016, 08:21:47 am »
Awww...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36622383?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

I guess that's it then. Making sure that Trump won't win is more important to Sanders than fighting to the bitter end. The article does note that he didn't say that he's ending his campaign but unless he was misquoted why the hell would he say that he is going to vote for his rival if he himself is still running against her?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #527 on: June 24, 2016, 09:05:19 am »
Awww...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36622383?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

I guess that's it then. Making sure that Trump won't win is more important to Sanders than fighting to the bitter end. The article does note that he didn't say that he's ending his campaign but unless he was misquoted why the hell would he say that he is going to vote for his rival if he himself is still running against her?

At this point, I really think he's just continuing his campaign to separate his supporters from their $27.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #528 on: June 24, 2016, 09:36:53 am »
Awww...

At this point, I really think he's just continuing his campaign to separate his supporters from their $27.

And do what with it? buy gluten free muffins?  ;D

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #529 on: June 24, 2016, 09:45:58 am »
Awww...

Probably give himself a nice payday. There's also the possibility that he could funnel it to lower ticket races, but seeing as how (1) he didn't do this during the primaries and (2) the only lower ticket races he's supported are those candidates that have endorsed him, I doubt it.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #530 on: June 24, 2016, 02:47:39 pm »
Awww...

Presumably he means he will vote for her if she is the Democratic nominee.
Σא

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #531 on: June 24, 2016, 04:35:20 pm »
I think Sanders isn't going to outright endorse Clinton (at least not for a while) because there wouldn't be much point to it.

He's already alienated a lot of his Senate colleagues by continuing to campaign against her once it became unlikely in the extreme that he would win (certainly after Pennsylvania). Endorsing her now probably wouldn't do much to repair those relationships, plus they'll all still know he's pissed at them for endorsing Clinton en masse early (or, in some cases, keeping mum).

It wouldn't do all that much to win his voters over to her (especially not the Bernie-or-bust types), and he knows it. He said as much in a town hall: his voters won't vote for her just because he tells them to; they'll vote for her or not based on the policies they think she'll pursue in office. Mind you, I'd be shocked if he endorsed anyone else (and he won't run on the Green ticket however many overtures Stein makes in his direction, and I think she's said outright that she'd step aside for him), and the vast majority of his voters are going to vote for Clinton anyway, but the ones who are really leery of Clinton won't vote for her just because he endorses her, and would look at other options. They may end up voting for Clinton anyway, if for no other reason than that whatever her real or perceived faults, she's not a racist, sexist, fascist, incompetent, unqualified monster, but it won't be automatic, and they'll probably be holding their noses as they cast their votes.

Also, I don't think he'll explicitly attack Clinton over the next month, because now that the contests are over, he doesn't even have the "I want to get as many delegates as I can" excuse. What he is likely to do is continue to speak to his supporters (he's still drawing big crowds) and espouse his policies, probably combined with attacks on Trump. There will be an implicit threat in this, though: don't shift away from these policies or you'll lose even more of my supporters.

If he does attack anyone but Trump or other Republicans, it'd be the Democratic Party as a whole, for doing things like taking money from corporations and (as he would see and put it) ignoring the issues that matter to poor people and young people. He may also continue to push for reform of the party's Presidential nomination contests, arguing for such things as eliminating superdelegates (or at least making them obliged to vote in proportion to their state's at-large vote), ensuring that states have sufficient polling places, and moving to open (or maybe semi-open) contests. (I'd be impressed if he made the case for largely eliminating caucuses--I say largely because there's no way Iowa would switch to a primary--considering how well he tended to do in them, but he might make it on the basis that caucuses depress voter turnout.)

As for giving money to or raising money for down-ticket candidates, I can understand why he didn't, and why he's also refusing to release his donor list to the Democratic Party--it goes back to what I noted above about his being pissed off at them for so heavily endorsing Clinton. But he also knows that there are lots of Democrats who don't agree with many of his policies, and when it comes to getting his policies through, he has about as much use for them as he does for Republicans. (I recall someone noting that back when the Clintons were trying to get health care reform through Congress, they weren't dealing just with Republican opposition, but also with the likes of Richard Shelby in their own party.) Sanders isn't going to be inclined to galvanize support for people who he thinks won't support him, and for the time being he's drawn a hard line on that.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #532 on: June 24, 2016, 05:08:11 pm »
Awww...

Probably give himself a nice payday. There's also the possibility that he could funnel it to lower ticket races, but seeing as how (1) he didn't do this during the primaries and (2) the only lower ticket races he's supported are those candidates that have endorsed him, I doubt it.
Glass house.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #533 on: June 24, 2016, 06:23:29 pm »
I'd probably buy a glass house with that money, too :P

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #534 on: June 24, 2016, 07:31:07 pm »
Just watch me.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #535 on: June 25, 2016, 01:31:27 pm »
Clinton Delegates Vote Against Clinton Stance on Trade

Sanders said it was “inexplicable” why Clinton allies on the panel at a meeting in St. Louis, Missouri, voted down proposals on trade that both Sanders and Clinton embraced as candidates. “It is hard for me to understand why Secretary Clinton’s delegates won’t stand behind Secretary Clinton’s positions in the party’s platform,” Sanders said.

TOP KEK

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #536 on: June 25, 2016, 09:20:01 pm »
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #537 on: June 30, 2016, 06:44:48 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/285269-exclusive-pro-hillary-group-takes-200k-in-banned-donations

A super-PAC backing Clinton took $200,000 in contributions from a federal contractor.

A super-PAC backing Hillary Clinton has accepted $200,000 in donations from a company holding multiple contracts with the federal government — despite a ban on such contributions.

According to a review of contributions by The Hill, Boston-based Suffolk Construction made two contributions of $100,000 to Priorities USA, which is backing the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee.

At the time it made the contributions, Suffolk held multiple contracts worth $976,560 with the Department of Defense for maintenance and construction projects at a Naval base in Newport, R.I., and the U.S. Military Academy in West Point, N.Y., according to the government website USASpending.gov.

Priorities USA stipulates on its website that donors can’t be federal contractors. Yet a spokesman for the super-PAC declined to comment in response to a question about whether the donations from Suffolk would be returned.

In addition to the donations to Priorities USA, The Hill found 14 federal contractors that had contributed a total of $173,250 to Right to Rise. Two had also given to Conservative Solutions PAC, a group that supported Sen. Marco Rubio’s (R-Fla.) bid for president.

One contractor, a Florida utility named Gulf Power Co., gave $44,000 to Right to Rise in March 2015. At the time, the company held more than $1 million in contracts with the Department of Defense.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #538 on: July 02, 2016, 01:06:06 am »
Does this mean that Clinton is disqualified and Sanders gets the nomination? Or is there some minor punishment for violating the rules? Or is this yet another case of "technically against the rules/laws but there is no punishment and therefore it is ok."
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #539 on: July 02, 2016, 01:16:27 am »
Does this mean that Clinton is disqualified and Sanders gets the nomination? Or is there some minor punishment for violating the rules? Or is this yet another case of "technically against the rules/laws but there is no punishment and therefore it is ok."

It's a SuperPAC supporting her, not her campaign, so if there's to be any punishment, it would be of the PAC in question. But even then there's not likely to be any, since the FEC board is composed of three Democratic appointees and three Republican appointees, and hence would almost certainly deadlock over a case like this.

And if somehow Clinton were disqualified (at this point), Sanders wouldn't necessarily get the nomination. Clinton's pledged delegates would be free to back whomever they wished, and they could decide to back, say, Biden. It could well rupture the Democratic Party for good, but they could do it.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 01:19:50 am by dpareja »