Author Topic: Music to write to?  (Read 7310 times)

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
Music to write to?
« on: July 05, 2013, 12:15:33 am »
It might seem an odd request, but I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations for music to play in the background while I write. Over the past little while, I've suffered an extremely frustrating lack of inspiration, and I was hoping maybe this would help. I'm looking for songs with few to no lyrics, so most pop/rock/folk/whatever music is out, because the lyrics can be really distracting, I end up focusing on that instead of the writing. Having said that, vocalizations and singing in other languages, provided it's not distracting, is okay, so a song with Ominous Latin Chanting is fine.

I'm looking for things that can be subtle and, of course, not distracting, but that elicit definite moods and feelings. While I'm definitely not going to try to write anything interpreting the music (I'm nowhere near talented enough for that,) whatever I'm listening to will likely influence the tone of whatever I come up with. I may or may not end up sharing what I write, if anything. I've been in a bit of a pit lately when it comes to my opinion of my own writing ability, if that makes sense.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
Re: Music to write to?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 01:14:30 am »
Blind Guardian's 'The Bard's Song'

The Young Dubliner's 'The Foggy Dew'

Snow Patrol's 'In The End'

Pretty much anything by Thirty Seconds To Mars, particularly 'This Is War' and 'Kings and Queens'
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 01:29:59 am »
Game soundtracks, perhaps?

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 01:47:18 am »
ooh, good point, Proggy.  Hotline Miami's good for that.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 04:20:53 am »
Always love game soundtracks! I actually find them to be the far too often ignored parts of games, because their composition is usually incredible, but they're rarely really noticed or properly appreciated. Again, any specific examples are greatly appreciated (and maybe youtube links, I have Rdio but it's very... lacking when it comes to soundtracks, and as far as classical or the like.. I don't know what to search for.)

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 07:47:14 am »
Let's see... Final Fantasy games, Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Metroid/(Prime), Castlevania games, Zelda games... That should get you started.  Places like Ocremix.org have some really awesome remixes and re-imaginings of game tunes as well.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 07:50:19 am by SpaceProg »

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 01:21:31 pm »
regarding Castlevania... try this on for size:  http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02480/

Formerly Priestling

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 01:59:15 pm »
I'm looking for songs with few to no lyrics, so most pop/rock/folk/whatever music is out, because the lyrics can be really distracting, I end up focusing on that instead of the writing. Having said that, vocalizations and singing in other languages, provided it's not distracting, is okay, so a song with Ominous Latin Chanting is fine.

In my experience, Yuki Kajiura's music is great to write to. Some of it has English lyrics, but most is in Japanese or purely instrumental. If you're interested, this youtube playlist is good place to get started.
Σא

wrightway

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 02:12:47 pm »
Bohren & der club of gore is great for darker writing.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 12:52:22 am »
Bond is lovely.  'Duel' is quite nice and peppy for being done on fiddle, cello and violin.

Formerly Priestling

Offline Dan

• Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 03:47:01 am »
I guess you'd prefer albums to individual tracks? There is plenty of instrumental music out there, even if you don't go for classical.

Looking through my CD collection for instrumental music, I'd suggest Tony Levin or Liquid Tension Experiment.

Alternatively, you could look into music where the lyrics are unintelligible or meaningless, such as Opeth or even Yes.

Another approach might be to try music that you know so well that it just washes over you, whether it has singing or not.

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2013, 04:49:50 am »

Yes' lyrics aren't unintelligible or meaningless...  At least, not to me.

GO PROG.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2013, 07:06:51 am »
I tend to listen to a lot of J-Pop whenever I'm writing and that seems to help I don't know if you know any J-Pop artist if you don't I could give you some suggestions and a few websites to download their songs.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2013, 09:06:28 am »
I'd suggest the soundtracks for Halo 1, 2, 3, ODST and Reach. Marty O'Donnell is an amazing composer.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Dan

• Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2013, 09:35:30 am »

Yes' lyrics aren't unintelligible or meaningless...  At least, not to me.

GO PROG.
Their early stuff is. Shining flying purple wolfhounds?