Author Topic: McCain beats war drums on Syria  (Read 4641 times)

Offline rtvc2012

• Pope
McCain beats war drums on Syria
« on: March 06, 2012, 01:44:46 pm »
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/mccain-calls-u-led-airstrikes-syria-203424110.html

Saying "the time has come for a new policy" in Syria, veteran Republican Sen. John McCain called Monday for U.S.-led airstrikes on President Bashar al-Assad's forces in an effort to protect civilians from a bloody yearlong crackdown by the regime.

"The United States should lead an international effort to protect key population centers in Syria, especially in the north, through airstrikes on Assad's forces," McCain, the top Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee, said in a speech on the Senate floor.

"To be clear: This will require the United States to suppress enemy air defense in at least part of the country," said McCain, who has repeatedly called in recent weeks and months for a stepped-up U.S. effort to protect Syrian civilians.

All I can say is thank zombie Jesus this guy isn't our president

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: McCain beats war drums on Syria
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 02:18:37 pm »
This is one of those subjects that isn't a matter of right or left, there's division on both sides.

And on this forum.  So you're going to be getting some debate.

I'll hold my opinion for now.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 02:23:55 pm »
I dunno. Fix our own issues in the US first, then possibly deal with whatever is happening elsewhere?
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline D Laurier

• Bishop
  • Never trust a white man with power.
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 03:50:58 pm »
America must support Al'Qaida forces in Syria... while hounding them in Afghanistan.
These waffles do realize that the Assad dynasty has, for 40 years, protected the jewish and christian minoritys in Syria from persecution and oppression.
There are currently more arab jews in the Syrian military than there are all other arab states militarys combined.
Arab jews and christians can own land in Syria. They can practice skilled trades. They can also hold government positions.
Syria is a secular and progressive state, where women can legaly vote, hold a job, attend school, and divorce their husbands... and where child marriage is illegal.
McCain would impose Wahabi fundamentalism on Syria, making it illegal for Syrian jews and christians to hold citizenship in their own country. He would see Syrian women reduced to property. He would turn Syria into another Iraq... Or another Palestine.
Cable (or satelite) TV is like paying someone to projectile poop all over your brain.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 03:59:51 pm »
America must support Al'Qaida forces in Syria... while hounding them in Afghanistan.
These waffles do realize that the Assad dynasty has, for 40 years, protected the jewish and christian minoritys in Syria from persecution and oppression.
There are currently more arab jews in the Syrian military than there are all other arab states militarys combined.
Arab jews and christians can own land in Syria. They can practice skilled trades. They can also hold government positions.
Syria is a secular and progressive state, where women can legaly vote, hold a job, attend school, and divorce their husbands... and where child marriage is illegal.
McCain would impose Wahabi fundamentalism on Syria, making it illegal for Syrian jews and christians to hold citizenship in their own country. He would see Syrian women reduced to property. He would turn Syria into another Iraq... Or another Palestine.

I'm sure he'd love to turn America into such a theocratic shithole. That said, the way the government in Syria is treating it's citizens right now is deplorable. I support the protesters if they want to actually make the country better. If they want to make it a theocratic shithole then I honestly don't give a rats ass what happens to them.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 04:13:33 pm »
Great yeah Assad loves to kill everyone equally.  Seriously though we can argue if it will make it worse or better in some ways but don't go defending Assad.
with that said I'm thinking the best way of handling this is to arm them and maybe have some foreign oversight similar to lybia

Offline D Laurier

• Bishop
  • Never trust a white man with power.
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 06:10:06 pm »
Great yeah Assad loves to kill everyone equally.  Seriously though we can argue if it will make it worse or better in some ways but don't go defending Assad.
with that said I'm thinking the best way of handling this is to arm them and maybe have some foreign oversight similar to lybia
No, He just crushes revolts like any other head of state. There is no evidence to suggest that Assad loves, or even likes, to kill everyone, or anyone.
If a catholic splinter group attempted to overthrow the british government, you can bet the queen would send in the highlanders to crush anyone who looked like they were part of the revolt.
If a white supremacist group attempted to overthrow the American government, O'Bama would send in his scariest troops to crush the revolt.
Assad's father was our ally against Iraq the first time, and the son is no worse than the father... indeed most of his regime has been a display of liberalization from the old paranoid habbits of his father.
Unfortunately he is still a brown leader ruling brown people who dont bow to a white master. And they arent living in grass shacks. This contradicts the most sacred doctrine of the democracy... that only a white government can build or maintain a modern civilization.
Cable (or satelite) TV is like paying someone to projectile poop all over your brain.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 06:52:46 pm »
Oh come on, McCain, we haven't even fought Iran and already you want to move on to Syria?

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 07:57:49 pm »
"Let's bomb 'em" passes for deep thinking in conservative circles.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 09:13:30 pm »
No, He just crushes revolts like any other head of state. There is no evidence to suggest that Assad loves, or even likes, to kill everyone, or anyone.
If a catholic splinter group attempted to overthrow the british government, you can bet the queen would send in the highlanders to crush anyone who looked like they were part of the revolt.
If a white supremacist group attempted to overthrow the American government, O'Bama would send in his scariest troops to crush the revolt.
Assad's father was our ally against Iraq the first time, and the son is no worse than the father... indeed most of his regime has been a display of liberalization from the old paranoid habbits of his father.
Unfortunately he is still a brown leader ruling brown people who dont bow to a white master. And they arent living in grass shacks. This contradicts the most sacred doctrine of the democracy... that only a white government can build or maintain a modern civilization.

Um...

You know what?  No.  I'm not even going to tackle this.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 09:56:06 pm »
First of all, I don't agree with what Assad is doing. Killing civilians who only protest never sits well with me. Would we allow this to happen if people were killing OWS protesters here in the US?

That said, Al-Qaeda has the US in a rather difficult spot. How do we aid the protesters without aiding Al-Qaeda in the effort? In all honesty, I think saving lives takes priority over saving face. Assad IS going much too far here, and we went after Gaddafi for similar things. International support is necessary. No more unilateral BS.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 09:59:07 pm »
I don't think that the risk of accidentally helping Al-Qaeda is worth the lives of the Syrian people.

I'm with McCain.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 01:18:07 am »
Okay I dunno if we should bomb Assad or not.  The protestors are not really as violent as Lybia so we would probably need ground forces
With that said I dunno if in good conscience can we let this guy live who has killed 7000 people

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 02:03:42 am »
I am torn. I believe strongly that a country should always deal with its problems by itself. However what we are seeing in Syria is not good. If he keeps killing protesting civilians things will just escalate into a full blow civil war. Regardless of either sides political leanings having family members shot for protesting tends to breed further and noticeably more violent protests.

While I would love for all African and middle east nations to have liberal secular governments, one must remember that you cannot impose such things on the people themselves. When the US 'liberated' Iraq, the people effectively chose to turn their country in a theocracy. Personally I think it is wrong and short sighted, but that was the will of the people.

Short answer though is that there really is no win all scenario. Secondly, America really needs to stop trying to play world police.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 02:18:55 am »
I say hell fucking no. A government is responsible to its own people first. Until America is completely free of homelessness, crime, poverty and all that jazz, its government has no business going to war in the name of "protecting civilians".