Author Topic: Another Floridian Stands His Ground  (Read 1906 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Another Floridian Stands His Ground
« on: January 14, 2014, 12:28:45 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/man-shot-dead-in-florida-movie-theatre-in-texting-spat-1.2495418

A 71-year-old retired police officer accused of shooting a man dead in a Florida movie theatre told authorities that "he was in fear of being attacked" during Monday's confrontation.

Curtis Reeves is charged with second-degree murder in the death of 43-year-old Chad Oulson. Reeves' first court appearance is scheduled for 1 p.m. Tuesday.

"I can't believe people would bring a pistol, a gun, to a movie," said Charles Cummings, who was sitting near Oulson and Reeves. "I can't believe they would argue and fight and shoot one another over popcorn. Over a cellphone."

So, chances of this guy being acquitted, especially considering that he's an ex-cop?
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

QueenofHearts

Re: Another Floridian Stands His Ground
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 12:30:57 pm »
remember when the NRA said the answer to the Aurora shooting was armed fuckheads in movie theaters...

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 01:02:12 pm »
The sherriff's dept he retired from twenty years ago immediately distanced themselves from him. He's goin' down.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 02:25:09 pm »
Well, at least this is a more clear cut case this time with multiple physically present witnesses so that there's much less chance of this being spun for one side (the defense).  As I said before in the Treyvon Martin case though, this incident shows the problem with these kind of laws.  They actively fucking foster a trigger happy mindset among those with guns.  The most paranoid people are the ones most likely to "take advantage" of these laws and feel justified in using them.

By the way, concerning Zimmerman (although I don't want to go too much off the rails here), his whole girlfriend threatening incident did a lot to solidify that he's fucking mentally unstable.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 02:26:54 pm by Captain Jack Harkness »
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 02:42:35 pm »
Personally, I have no problem with the laws and I'm glad this one is going to trial. This wasn't a case for a firearm, just call the guy a fuckface and be done with it. Hit in the face with a sack of popcorn? That's not the kind of thing you miss and doesn't fall under the text of the law for justifiable use of deadly force.

http://www.husseinandwebber.com/florida-stand-your-ground-statute.html
776.012 Use of force in defense of person.—

A person is justified in using force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the other’s imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat if:

(1) He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony;

Yeah, with the witnesses to this crime, I don't think this'll go the way of the Zimmerman case.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 11:54:36 pm »
It wasn't on the job so the republicans can't go u h8 liburty!!!111

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 12:39:22 am »
Give him a nice long timeout in prison for this. He deserves no less.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 01:04:51 am »
This is much more clear-cut than the Martin-Zimmerman case.  He's going away for a long time.