Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1513652 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #5985 on: August 31, 2015, 01:15:57 am »
Radflakes are trying to get a game (admittedly a distasteful one) banned from an online store:

https://archive.is/iRRuU

So much for "we're not Jack Thompson".
Link isn't working.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5986 on: August 31, 2015, 07:32:41 am »
Radflakes are trying to get a game (admittedly a distasteful one) banned from an online store:

Link isn't working.

It's working for me.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5987 on: August 31, 2015, 08:35:47 am »

Link isn't working.

It's working for me.
Ah, it's just not available in Finland.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #5988 on: August 31, 2015, 02:03:40 pm »

Link isn't working.

It's working for me.
Ah, it's just not available in Finland.

Summary: A game called "Tournament of Rapists" is made available on DriveThruRPG (and is incorrectly cited as a Pathfinder game).  A lot of people, including big-name Paizo's Erik Mona (because, again, IT IS NOT A PATHFINDER GAME), are really pissed about that, because such games are likely to push people away from RPG's in general.

DTRPG initially removed the "Pathfinder/Paizo" tag and restricted the game as "Adults Only."  This wasn't good enough.

Quote from the link above:

There’s a pretty clear distinction between, say, a story that contains rape, and a story that’s about nothing but rape. And in the latter case, there’s a pretty clear distinction between something that explores the issue, and something that simply trivializes and glorifies it. Any non-disingenuous adult can tell the difference between something like “Tournament of Rapists” and something like Laurie Halse Anderson’s “Speak,” or even something like “Game of Thrones.” Heck, any non-disingenous adult can tell the difference between this and something that might have elements that trivialize sexual assault, like a book that contains a background generator with options for assault. “Tournament of Rapists” doesn’t turn rape into a game as a side effect; from its description, at least, that’s the entirety of its content. That’s its point.

There’s a pretty bright line, there.

And let’s not kid ourselves. As much as gamers like to make proclamations about free speech and censorship to reassure them that their petty little tantrums are important and connected to fundamental rights (!), when we talk about a private site’s decision to carry or not carry a single product, we’re not talking about Supreme Court caselaw, here. We’re not talking about binding arbitration that the government will step forward to support, which one can be thrown in jail for disobeying, which will be used as precedent in all decisions by all game sites forevermore. Don’t flatter yourselves, gamers and game sites. The free speech stakes here aren’t just low, they’re nonexistent.

Since gamers love citing the First Amendment but generally haven’t the first fucking clue how it actually works, let’s review: the First Amendment protects you from the government shutting you up. That’s it. It doesn’t protect you from social or financial consequences imposed by people other than the government as a result of your speech–in fact, those consequences are free speech WORKING AS INTENDED. Private individuals and companies deciding they don’t want anything to do with you because you’re saying repulsive things? That’s HOW IT IS SUPPOSED TO WORK. The Bill of Rights protects your right to enter the marketplace of ideas. It doesn’t guarantee you buyers. Private companies can kick you off their forums or your product out of their store because they’re pissed that you misspelled “ridiculous,” and they’re still not violating your rights. That’s their prerogative.

There are real stakes here, however–make no mistake about that. They’re just not about free speech. Games (and geekdom in general) have sent out the message time and time again: women aren’t really members of the community. If we look pretty and keep our mouths shut except to stroke male gamers’ egos, we can hang around the margins, but if it’s ever a choice between us and the dudes who aren’t comfortable unless we’re being objectified, harassed, or abused, the geek community will choose its own–those dudes–every time. And this situation is no different. (And yes, I’m aware that rape isn’t just a women’s issue, but given that the description for the PDF positions misogyny as the rapists’ motivating factor, this is absolutely about gender.)

[...]

The thing is, this isn’t really a “complex” issue. As I said, we’re not talking binding legislation here. DriveThruRPG isn’t the Supreme Court, or, for that matter, an entity with authority over anything beyond what they host on their own site. And “Tournament of Rapists” doesn’t fall in any sort of ethical gray area–unless you think that maybe women kinda deserve it and maybe guys who make shitty game supplements should be allowed to say that without any consequences.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #5989 on: September 01, 2015, 12:31:37 pm »
How about some nice news? A yuri visual novel is coming to steam with no cuts of any kind.
http://blog.mangagamer.org/2015/09/01/kindred-spirits-on-the-roof-is-coming-to-steam/

Admittedly the sex scenes are fairly soft core, but considering that Steam hasn't really allowed actual on screen sex in visual novels (you can have the lead up, cut away to a black screen, and have the aftermath) its progress. And its yuri too, which is pretty damn awesome :)

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5990 on: September 01, 2015, 01:45:05 pm »
GOG had a sale so now I have I-WAR deluxe edition, the old Leisure Suit Larry games and Space Pirates And Zombies.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #5991 on: September 01, 2015, 04:30:05 pm »
How about some nice news? A yuri visual novel is coming to steam with no cuts of any kind.
http://blog.mangagamer.org/2015/09/01/kindred-spirits-on-the-roof-is-coming-to-steam/

Admittedly the sex scenes are fairly soft core, but considering that Steam hasn't really allowed actual on screen sex in visual novels (you can have the lead up, cut away to a black screen, and have the aftermath) its progress. And its yuri too, which is pretty damn awesome :)

Wait.  You mean I get to romance pretty ladies in a visual novel--and still play as my own gender while I do it?

I love living in the future.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5992 on: September 01, 2015, 07:30:43 pm »
I wonder what this means for any of Christina Love's games.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #5993 on: September 02, 2015, 07:40:29 am »
There's a game on Steam Greenlight called Dynostopia that infects its users with crippling malware.

https://archive.is/8JE19

Simply appalling.

Even Then

« Reply #5994 on: September 02, 2015, 08:25:08 am »
UP, your links are region-locked or something because they keep saying the content's not available in my country.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #5995 on: September 02, 2015, 08:40:33 am »
UP, your links are region-locked or something because they keep saying the content's not available in my country.

Sorry, I keep forgetting archive.is is blocked in Finland.

Here's another link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/3j89ci/do_not_downloadbeta_test_dynostopia_from_steam/

Even Then

« Reply #5996 on: September 02, 2015, 08:44:25 am »
Thanks.

I wonder what this means for any of Christina Love's games.

It means that don't take it personally, babe, it just ain't your story still sucks.

Come at me.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5997 on: September 02, 2015, 09:00:24 am »

Sorry, I keep forgetting archive.is is blocked in Finland.

Here's another link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/3j89ci/do_not_downloadbeta_test_dynostopia_from_steam/

I've heard of viral marketing campaigns, but I never thought people would take the "viral" part so literally.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #5998 on: September 02, 2015, 12:14:25 pm »

Wait.  You mean I get to romance pretty ladies in a visual novel--and still play as my own gender while I do it?

I love living in the future.

Theres a few yuri visual novels out on steam already, I wish people would tag them to make them easy to find. Try The Reject Demon for a western developed one, chapter 0 is out now - http://store.steampowered.com/app/358770/

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #5999 on: September 03, 2015, 12:29:10 pm »