Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2071944 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #9855 on: April 13, 2016, 07:34:05 am »
What the hell happened to Youtube? There's no sound, and they changed the layout to the point where the volume icon is gone!

Temporary glitch? It's working fine for me.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #9856 on: April 13, 2016, 08:15:02 am »
What the hell happened to Youtube? There's no sound, and they changed the layout to the point where the volume icon is gone!

Temporary glitch? It's working fine for me.

Apparently not here. This is what it looks like for me:

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #9857 on: April 14, 2016, 11:50:15 am »
I love it when a "bug fixes" update for an app completely fucking breaks it.  How does this even happen, does anyone do testing anymore?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #9858 on: April 14, 2016, 02:37:30 pm »
I love it when a "bug fixes" update for an app completely fucking breaks it.  How does this even happen, does anyone do testing anymore?

That's code for ya.  Fix one thing, and a dozen new, broken edge cases crop up.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #9859 on: April 14, 2016, 03:04:56 pm »

That's code for ya.  Fix one thing, and a dozen new, broken edge cases crop up.

Yeah but when that new problem is the app not even opening at all anymore you'd think that'd come up in testing.  I mean, it's a hard one to miss.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #9860 on: April 14, 2016, 03:14:58 pm »
Apps are a pain to test because there are so many different environments to account for. Different OS's, different versions within those, etc. Granted that doesn't excuse it, and I dunno what the app is, but they may have not encountered that issue in their local testing.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #9861 on: April 14, 2016, 03:20:32 pm »
Aye, especially if its an Android app you're talking about.  From what I've seen, the different named versions (ie: KitKat, Lollipop, etc) almost all need to be supported and tested individually and that is a huge pain in the ass.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #9862 on: April 14, 2016, 03:56:24 pm »
Apps are a pain to test because there are so many different environments to account for. Different OS's, different versions within those, etc. Granted that doesn't excuse it, and I dunno what the app is, but they may have not encountered that issue in their local testing.

Fair point.  The app is Outlook on Android btw.  Que the Microsoft jokes from everyone.  Go ahead I ain't gonna defend them.

I would like to bring up though app breaking updates in the form of the app no longer functioning at all that seem to affect literally everyone (as happened recetly-ish with the Beeb's weather app, it genuinely seemed to affect literally everyone and it lasted for ages through several updates).  How does that not get discovered in testing when it seems to be an issue in every situation with all conceivable variables?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #9863 on: April 14, 2016, 06:30:46 pm »

Fair point.  The app is Outlook on Android btw.  Que the Microsoft jokes from everyone.  Go ahead I ain't gonna defend them.

I would like to bring up though app breaking updates in the form of the app no longer functioning at all that seem to affect literally everyone (as happened recetly-ish with the Beeb's weather app, it genuinely seemed to affect literally everyone and it lasted for ages through several updates).  How does that not get discovered in testing when it seems to be an issue in every situation with all conceivable variables?

Different folks have different incentives to care about different things.  I haven't checked, but I know Word for Android is free, so MS likely doesn't make any money off it.  Now, you could argue that the mobile versions serve as an advertising gateway for their desktop products, but it could be just as easily argued that the reason people even download it is because either a) they're already Office users on desktop or, b) they only have it because they need it.  I, personally, fit into both categories, but mostly the latter: the only reason I've got Word on my tablet is so I can open documents my teachers post, especially lab materials for chemistry.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #9864 on: April 15, 2016, 10:55:22 pm »
I don't want to start another cisphobia shitstorm but...

You can't complain about how people are to sensitive and need to learn to take a joke then turn around and bitch about "down with cis".

I, for one, would welcome another cisphobia shitstorm.

Just let the usual offender open his mouth and incriminate himself.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #9865 on: April 15, 2016, 11:04:54 pm »
Swear to god, today is just not Minecraft day, apparently.  Can scarcely play more than 5-10 minutes before it fucking crashes for no god damned reason, or the JVM freaks the fuck out and shits all over the log...and crashing the damned game.  Its like trying to keep a vial of nitroglycerin from exploding while resting it on an active washing machine loaded with fucking rocks, some days.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #9866 on: April 15, 2016, 11:48:46 pm »

You can't complain about how people are to sensitive and need to learn to take a joke then turn around and bitch about "down with cis".

There is such a thing as taking a joke too far.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9867 on: April 16, 2016, 12:32:33 am »

There is such a thing as taking a joke too far.
I dont think otherwise. I just think the type of person I described is s hypocrite.
I would like to point out that only the person who gets hurt can say if something hurts them or not. If you admit that some jokes go too far then you should also admit that you can't claim that your joke was ok and that the people who say they feel hurt should just "toughen up" or something.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9868 on: April 16, 2016, 12:41:19 am »
Huh?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9869 on: April 16, 2016, 05:27:47 am »
Some kind of malware attacked my computer. It claimed that it was installing something called "Windows 10" but when the process was finally complete all I got was a text saying how "they" had improved my Windows and nothing happened until I finally used Ctrl+Alt+Del to get out of that stuck screen.