Author Topic: Michigan now Right to Work state.  (Read 32717 times)

Offline cheese007

• Bishop

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
Re: Michigan now Right to Work state.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 12:38:45 pm »
I think this is actually a good thing.  Don't get me wrong, I like unions, but I think people should be able to work without being forced to join one.
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Offline Auri-El

• Raxacoricofallapatorian
  • Pope
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 12:58:59 pm »
I agree, people shouldn't be forced to join a union.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 04:39:54 pm »
And people shouldn't also be fired for any reason whatsoever either.  Right to work is a double edged sword just so you're aware.  I should know.  I've worked under this law.

Ironbite-it's good and it's bad.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 04:56:32 pm »
I disagree with closed shops, but I disagree with not allowing unions either.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 05:27:45 pm »
Right to work isn't closed shop.  It's you can benefit from a union  but not pay dues

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 06:02:39 pm »
In a perfect world, people would be free to join or not join a union. In the real world, that choice makes it very difficult for unions to operate: which is, after all, the point.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 06:25:40 pm »
The key thing is the free rider clause.  Essentially it means the Unions will die due to having no money since you get benefits without consequences.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 11:46:52 am »
Right to work isn't closed shop.  It's you can benefit from a union  but not pay dues

Yeah, that's not really good either since people will free ride.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 12:27:59 pm »
Essentially this law is to circumvent laws that say you can't stop employees from unionizing by making it so the unions can't get dues

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 01:37:53 pm »
Folks, that law is a ploy to weaken unions by draining finical resources. The services and representation that unions provide do not come cheap. The fact that people are unable to figure this out speaks volumes about the prevalence of stupidity, willful or otherwise.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 03:32:15 pm »
Essentially this law is to circumvent laws that say you can't stop employees from unionizing

Laws that aren't enforced...
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 05:20:42 pm »
Us law forbids anyone from being forced to be a member of a union, even in non-right to work states.  Union contracts can stipulate that each employee pay a fee to the union regardless of membership.  Right to work laws prevent employees from paying those fees if they do not want to.

I don't think anyone should have to pay a fee or dues to work.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline TenfoldMaquette

• Pope
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 06:01:11 pm »
I don't have a problem with people being forced to pay dues regardless of their union membership, as even the non-member workers benefit regardless of their individual participation. If people want to not pay dues, then I'm fine (well, not literally fine, but anyway) with their employer being able to ignore labor laws regarding the non-paying members; no more 40-hour work weeks, sick days, raises, etc for the non-payers. If they don't want to pay for the benefit, they shouldn't get the benefit.

Right-to-Work laws really ought to be re-named "Right to Get Treated Like Shit and Fired for Whatever Reason We Wish LOL" laws, because that's all they are. Letting people "opt out" of paying for the benefits they use just means no one will pay, and the benefits they like will just go away without anyone left to fight for them. Which is, y'know, the point.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 07:04:26 pm »
Whatever reason we wish?  Tch... they're not even required to have a reason at all.