Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 404413 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #3345 on: May 26, 2020, 08:28:10 pm »
More people voting means potentially more people voting Democrat, which must be stopped at all costs.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3346 on: May 26, 2020, 09:10:10 pm »
The entire Republican voter strategy is less voting.  Hence why the pandemic response is just "thoughts and prayers".  Voting by mail means more people voting specifically poor people.  Poor people by and large, vote Democrat.

Ironbite-as Ravy said, this must be stopped at all costs.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3347 on: May 26, 2020, 11:35:33 pm »
I will tell you this: if you look at before and after, the things they had in there were crazy. They had things, levels of voting that if you ever agreed to it, you'd never have a Republican elected in this country again. They had things in there about, y'know, election days and what you do and all sorts of clawbacks, and they had things that were just totally crazy.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #3348 on: May 27, 2020, 12:03:52 am »
I mean yeah obviously, that's why they love strict voter ID laws targeting minorities (who mostly vote Democratic) but why now vote by mail? I live in a state where even our republicans are pretty happy with it (with one leader, who's position I forget atm, even celebrating and championing it) despite most of the state being democrats. It's weird.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3349 on: May 27, 2020, 04:27:22 am »
Because if you can vote by mail, you can just take ten to fifteen minutes at home, do a little cursory research about the candidates (maybe), mark the thing and drop it off. If you actually have to go stand in line for what might be hours, a lot of people are less likely to do that.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3350 on: May 27, 2020, 08:02:52 pm »
TRUMP VS. TWITTER!  GATHER ROUND FOLKS!  WE'RE IN FOR A SLOBBERKNOCKER!

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #3351 on: May 28, 2020, 05:21:34 am »
You gotta love the conundrum Republicans have with the freedom of speech and their love of the free market with unregulated power. If a private company decides to censor someone they disagree with they all scream but muh freedom of speeches! At the same time they say that corporations are people too and should be able to vote and influence politics.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Vanto

• Bishop
« Reply #3352 on: May 29, 2020, 12:16:42 pm »
I mean yeah obviously, that's why they love strict voter ID laws targeting minorities (who mostly vote Democratic) but why now vote by mail? I live in a state where even our republicans are pretty happy with it (with one leader, who's position I forget atm, even celebrating and championing it) despite most of the state being democrats. It's weird.

What's also weird is people completely dismissing any valid reasons to be concerned about mail-in voting. Don't get me wrong, Trump's got some pretty self-serving motives for what he's saying, but that doesn't mean there aren't reasons to be critical of it.

You gotta love the conundrum Republicans have with the freedom of speech and their love of the free market with unregulated power. If a private company decides to censor someone they disagree with they all scream but muh freedom of speeches! At the same time they say that corporations are people too and should be able to vote and influence politics.

Unlike Democrats, who talk a big game about the perils of unchecked corporate power, only to cheer left-leaning megacorps abusing their power against people they disagree with. Not to mention buying into blatant wokewashing.
Stop the timeline, I wanna get off.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #3353 on: May 29, 2020, 12:32:24 pm »
Is this a tantrum over Twitter factchecking President Dinglethorp?
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Vanto

• Bishop
« Reply #3354 on: May 29, 2020, 12:59:34 pm »
Is this a tantrum over Twitter factchecking President Dinglethorp?

That's adorable, you think I give a shit about that.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #3355 on: May 29, 2020, 01:11:35 pm »
Well then, what's this about?

Because in every instance of "megacorps abusing their power against people liberals disagree with", it's pretty much warranted that the corp responds as it did against conservatives.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #3356 on: May 29, 2020, 02:40:49 pm »
Unlike Democrats, who talk a big game about the perils of unchecked corporate power, only to cheer left-leaning megacorps abusing their power against people they disagree with. Not to mention buying into blatant wokewashing.

What power are they abusing? The freedom of speech? Most megacorps usually speak out against hate speech on their platforms. That's what Democrats usually cheer on. You have a problem with that? You feel a corporation should just roll over and allow anyone to spew hate speech and misinformation and using them as representation even if they don't want it? Republicans want their freedom of speech to spout whatever bullshit they want but then cry when a corporation uses their freedom of speech to call them out on it.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #3357 on: May 29, 2020, 04:49:51 pm »

A company has a right to decide what goes on on their platform. Just like the owner of FSTDT.net has the right to ban anyone they like, so too does Twitter. This right does not go away when the person they ban is a conservative, a Nazi, or whatever. And if you think it does, I've got some signs I want to put up on your property. I'm sure you won't mind - it's just me exercising my free speech after all.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Vanto

• Bishop
« Reply #3358 on: May 29, 2020, 07:29:10 pm »
Well then, what's this about?

Because in every instance of "megacorps abusing their power against people liberals disagree with", it's pretty much warranted that the corp responds as it did against conservatives.

So you admit that this happens and don't have a problem with it. What are you, some kind of bizarro-ancap?

What power are they abusing? The freedom of speech? Most megacorps usually speak out against hate speech on their platforms. That's what Democrats usually cheer on. You have a problem with that? You feel a corporation should just roll over and allow anyone to spew hate speech and misinformation and using them as representation even if they don't want it? Republicans want their freedom of speech to spout whatever bullshit they want but then cry when a corporation uses their freedom of speech to call them out on it.

I wouldn't have a problem if they just "called them out". My problem is the fact that they censor.

A company has a right to decide what goes on on their platform. Just like the owner of FSTDT.net has the right to ban anyone they like, so too does Twitter. This right does not go away when the person they ban is a conservative, a Nazi, or whatever. And if you think it does, I've got some signs I want to put up on your property. I'm sure you won't mind - it's just me exercising my free speech after all.

That's where you're wrong, kiddo. The SCOTUS ruled in Marsh v. Alabama that if a private space is used as a public square, then it is obligated to grant first amendment protections. And considering how huge and ubiquitous these social media giants are, they should be made to conform to the first amendment like company towns before them.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #3359 on: May 29, 2020, 09:28:47 pm »
You have a freedom of speech from the government.

You don't have a freedom of speech to say whatever you want on any given platform. The government can't restrict your speech, but others, others don't have to put up with it. So yes, I am absolutely okay with it, and I don't have a problem with "MUH CONSERVATURD CENSORSHIP WAAAAAH!!"

I don't know much about that Supreme Court case, but what I do know is that Trump's attempt lately to do away with OOGA BOOGA CONSERVATIVES BEING CENSORED got bitchslapped down by the courts and the lawyers of the major tech companies.

And it is kind of rich that in response to this, conservatives want to enact their own censorship.

You can just call me the intolerant left.