Author Topic: #DeflateGate  (Read 8350 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
#DeflateGate
« on: January 20, 2015, 10:35:26 pm »
http://www.wthr.com/story/27881499/source-tells-bob-kravitz-that-patriots-may-have-deflated-footballs-against-colts

FOXBORO, Mass. -
A source within the NFL tells WTHR.com's Bob Kravitz that the league is investigating the possibility that the Patriots deflated footballs in their 45-7 win over the Colts Sunday night at Gillette Stadium.

The source told Kravitz that officials took a ball out of play at one point and weighed it. His tweet reporting the news shortly before 1 a.m. Monday quickly spread across social media and has been dubbed "DeflateGate."

New York Newsday's Bob Glauber tweeted around 7 a.m. Monday that NFL Spokesman Michael Signora confirmed the WTHR exclusive that the NFL is looking into whether footballs were properly inflated during the Colts-Patriots game.

"We'll cooperate fully with whatever the league wants us to, whatever questions they ask," Patriots coach Bill Belichick told the media Monday

Andrew Dobson will not stand for this!

(By the way, I wasn't sure where to put this.)

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
Re: #DeflateGate
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 10:51:20 pm »
If we don't have a sports section, then I see no problem with this being in TV/Entertainment.  Football is entertainment.   To a lot of folks, at least.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 11:07:09 pm »
Don't deflated balls fly shorter distances than full ones anyway?
Who needs a signature?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 11:18:44 pm »
Easier to catch as well.  Kinda needed when the weather is gonna be as crappy as it was.  Ultimately this means nothing as the Colts played like ass.

Ironbite-fine 'em, take away a first round draft pick, watch the Seahawks kill the Patriots dead.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 01:40:12 am »
Listen UPyourownass, you have been fucking debating this for 50+ pages and-
Whoops, wrong -gate.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 04:03:32 am by I am lizard »

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 03:02:45 am »
Actually, it's about ethics in football inflation.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 08:12:17 am »
People are CHEATING in SPORTS?!  Verily, this must truly be a sign of the End Times.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 08:26:46 am »
Actually it's about ethics in-

Damnit, Art! CURSE YOU!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 08:34:41 am by Second Coming of Madman »
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 10:45:26 am »
So it turns out there's meat to this story.  11 of the 12 balls tested were all underweight by 2 pounds.  Doesn't sound like a lot to us laymen but due to the fact that I'm a raging football fan I know that's a fucking ton out there on the field.  It ultimately means nothing to the Colts as they played like garbage but if they did this for the Ravens' game that's some serious bullshit.

Ironbite-as that was a game.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 02:41:21 pm »
So it turns out there's meat to this story.  11 of the 12 balls tested were all underweight by 2 pounds.  Doesn't sound like a lot to us laymen but due to the fact that I'm a raging football fan I know that's a fucking ton out there on the field.

I was really confused by this because 2 pounds sounds like a lot more than what a football weighs. Then I googled it and it turns out it's 2 psi, not pounds (so about 15% below regulation pressure).

Some small part of me hates itself after using imperial units and referring to an American football egg as a "football"
Σא

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 03:16:35 pm »
So it turns out there's meat to this story.  11 of the 12 balls tested were all underweight by 2 pounds.  Doesn't sound like a lot to us laymen but due to the fact that I'm a raging football fan I know that's a fucking ton out there on the field.

I was really confused by this because 2 pounds sounds like a lot more than what a football weighs. Then I googled it and it turns out it's 2 psi, not pounds (so about 15% below regulation pressure).

Some small part of me hates itself after using imperial units and referring to an American football egg as a "football"

For me it is still handegg since it has nothing to do with real football.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 04:43:42 pm »
Okay, so call it Yankball.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 04:46:24 pm »
I have no trouble calling it football.

Incidentally, I almost played American Football in high school, just missed practice.

I really do not get this weird thing about the sports.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 05:17:50 pm »
Down with this sort of thing!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 06:15:51 pm »

For me it is still handegg since it has nothing to do with real football.

Etymology of the term football: A sport, played on foot, that uses a ball.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.