Author Topic: Video Game Logic  (Read 42973 times)

Offline Da Rat Bastid

• Pope
  • Takes what he can, while he can.
Re: Video Game Logic
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2012, 06:23:41 pm »
I Wanna Be The Guy.

That is all. ;D

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2012, 07:39:08 pm »
That game is beyond Nintendo Hard.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2012, 07:59:49 pm »
(Adventure games everywhere)

Oh, fetch quests are GOOD at it.

Beyond Good and Evil: Aliens faking their being a friendly force to assist against another alien invasion? This calls for racing hovercrafts and taking pictures of animals.

...I'm sorry?

Another common to FF: Treasure chests everywhere. Why are valuable things not only lying around in plain sight, but contained in chests for no in-universe reason? That doesn't protect them. Why the Hell do enemies sometimes just plain drop whole chests in more recent titles? Why the Hell do all of the Sky Pirates ignore the damn things in FFXII? Why do they sometimes pop up unassumingly with the monsters like they slid along behind them?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 08:03:21 pm by Lithp »

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2012, 08:09:21 pm »
With very few exceptions, in most RPG and adventure games you're free just to go into any random person's house and ransack their entire place while they stand there and watch you like an idiot.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2012, 08:16:31 pm »
With very few exceptions, in most RPG and adventure games you're free just to go into any random person's house and ransack their entire place while they stand there and watch you like an idiot.

And in Skyrim, they let you do this as long as you're their friend (which means you did a quest for them)

Granted, they won't let you ransack EVERYTHING, but still.

What's funny is that you can ransack a merchant-friend's house-shop and then immediately sell them everything you just took.

"Can I have this lovely blue vase?"

"Of course!  You're my friend."

"Great!  Now how much can I sell it to you for?"
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Lithp

• The Beast
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2012, 08:23:48 pm »
Interestingly, VII addresses that. No one tries to stop you, but someone calls you a jackass, & by-&-large most people are just too jaded to care.

'Course, you could say "poor people don't care about having their shit stolen" is vidya game logic in & of itself.

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2012, 08:26:29 pm »

And in Skyrim, they let you do this as long as you're their friend (which means you did a quest for them)

Granted, they won't let you ransack EVERYTHING, but still.

What's funny is that you can ransack a merchant-friend's house-shop and then immediately sell them everything you just took.

"Can I have this lovely blue vase?"

"Of course!  You're my friend."

"Great!  Now how much can I sell it to you for?"

LMAO... Ahh... exploits like that are fun :D

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2012, 12:56:19 am »
Speaking of RPG's:  Trying to sneak when you have a companion with you.  If I'm trying to be stealthy, I don't need Lydia or Boon going all Leroy Jenkins on me and rushing the enemy.

I always love it too when you get the scenario where you rush an enemy base you just discovered with no intel, no support, and no plan.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 12:58:31 am by TGRwulf »
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2012, 02:05:07 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kedjhnguKhc
Who needs a signature?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2012, 03:48:41 am »
I got a few choice ones I've been savin up...

Explosives in games.  You know em when you see em, those big, red things that explode violently when you so much as sneeze on them by accident.  If these things are so volatile that they can be set off by (giving examples from DDO) being struck by a wooden fucking stick, being pierced by an arrow...OR BEING HIT BY A FUCKING MAGIC RAY OF COLD...why aren't they behind lock-and-key in a secure location where their exceptionally volatile contents don't run the chance of killing people by sheer happenstance?  You'd think that places like Stormreach would have laws about that kinda shit...

Doors.  I know, this is -extremely- nitpicky, but...say I'm a big, strapping hero who can easily deadlift a Volkswagen.  Why, then, do I have to go through the convoluted process of going through a dungeon filled to the brim with monsters of all varieties, dodging traps that have killed dozens of would-be adventurers, and solving puzzles that would leave even the most astute wizards scratching their heads?  Why can't I just break down the flimsy, wooden door with an axe?  Hell, if I'm a mage, I should be able to blast the motherfucker open with a fireball or two.  If its a metal door, whip out the acid.  For fuck's sake, its a few plinths of wood held together with iron bars and studs, I should be able to break it open with a sledgehammer, if I have one.  Or, alternatively, drag one of those explosive barrels over to it and flick a rock at it, blasting the bastard open.

And don't get me started on Load-Bearing Villains...

Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2012, 04:50:13 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kedjhnguKhc

Bwahahaha! :D

Offline Da Rat Bastid

• Pope
  • Takes what he can, while he can.
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2012, 07:23:59 am »
That game is beyond Nintendo Hard.

Therein lies the appeal. ;D

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2012, 11:20:12 am »
I like when I find gold inside of a dead wolf.

"No Cloud, I have no idea why that monster was carrying 500 Gold and a Fire Ring.  It will forever remain a mystery!"

Also, you can only use a key once.  Even though they're all identical in every dungeon.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 11:30:07 am by TheL »
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Lithp

• The Beast
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2012, 02:48:43 pm »
"No Cloud, I have no idea why that monster was carrying 500 Gold and a Fire Ring.  It will forever remain a mystery!"

Some games "fix" this with some kind of poaching/loot system...but that rarely makes any more sense if you actually look at what you get.

How does cobbling together some dead dragons somehow make a fire sword?

Why the Hell do I need to collect 50 Bear Asses to make a Health Potion?

Also, how come I can get some piece of crap like a magic bottle of water-breathing or a scuba helmet & fight in the underwater temple, but I still need a ship to traverse the ocean? And why does shit climb on deck to fight me? Are sea monsters' primary sources of food driftwood?

Speaking of water temples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARzHpMx3l28&feature=endscreen&NR=1
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 03:06:48 pm by Lithp »

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2012, 04:30:52 pm »
I like when I find gold inside of a dead wolf.

Also, you can only use a key once.  Even though they're all identical in every dungeon.

Unless, of course, the key has a lion head on it, which makes it just awesome.  Because it can actually, you know, be used more than once.  MAGIC!