Author Topic: Temple Grandin  (Read 7782 times)

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
Temple Grandin
« on: February 19, 2012, 04:29:18 pm »
So I saw another movie today.  This story is actually based in reality, and follows the journey of an autistic girl who learned to cope with her mind.  I thought it was pretty heartwarming and touching.  As with the previous movie, I watched it OnDemand with my mother.  I didn't cry really, but she did.  Of course, I was moved and inspired by it even without tears. ^_^

So yeah.  I've now seen two awesome movies today. <3

Oh, I thought I should mention that the woman's name is Temple Grandin. :)
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
Re: Temple Grandin
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 04:37:47 pm »
Ah yes, Temple Grandin

She has HFA or Asperger's I can't remember which, but she is an inspiration to me. I am amazed at her work in the cattle industry. She was here in my town last year as part of the January Series at Calvin College but I never got to go.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline one-shot

• Bishop
  • Zen is...
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 04:37:40 am »
She has Autism.  And that movie is absolutely amazing.  I loved it.  I had never heard of it, and my ex-wife wanted to watch it.  I didn't think it sounded that good, but she insisted, by thinking it might help her understand me more.  So we rented it and watched it, and I found it to be awesome. 
All things are no-thing.

Offline MaybeNever

• Got His Red Wings
  • Pope
  • Possessed of a proclivity for prolixity
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 11:41:11 pm »
I went to college at Colorado State, where Grandin teaches, and one day had the remarkable experience of realizing that I had seen her at my local grocery store on a regular basis for years, and had no idea. She's a rather remarkable woman, quite signal in the realm of autism research.

When the movie came out, the Fort Collins press and the school could not stop talking about it for like two months.
"Great Britain's two most senior military officers added to the uneasiness. [...] Lord Wolseley, Adjutant General, thought that it might be possible for an enemy to invade without waiters and pastrycooks."
-Robert K. Massie, Dreadnought