Author Topic: Good Things Religion has Done  (Read 42610 times)

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
Good Things Religion has Done
« on: April 16, 2013, 07:32:31 pm »
We've listed a lot of the bad things religion has done.  Here's where we can list the good things.
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
Re: Good Things Religion has Done
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 07:43:25 pm »
Due to one of my newfound brothers, my faith was reignited, in our talks about belief.

Also, the rare story about Muslims, Christians and Jews sharing worshipping space together always gives me warm fuzzies.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 07:49:08 pm »
Also, the rare story about Muslims, Christians and Jews sharing worshipping space together always gives me warm fuzzies.
That's not really religion doing something good though. It's religion NOT doing domething bad (and only rarely).

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 08:40:47 pm »
It has inspired a lot of beautiful art, music and architecture.

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 08:47:50 pm »
Meditation is nice.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 02:43:20 am »

"Commissioned" is more accurate than "inspired" for a hell of a lot of those paintings, music and architecture.  And many Renaissance artists resented having to create works for the church, but as the church were the guys with all the cash and power there wasn't a lot of choice. But still, that doesn't change the fact that those works are indeed stunning.

I would add to this list the fact that religious institutions gave us the first hospitals and universities and, rather ironically these days, the beginnings of what would become science.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 04:48:27 am »
Religious institutions preserved many ancient writings that would otherwise have been last after the fall of Rome.

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 05:33:46 am »
A great many really good stories have come out of religions. You don't have to be part of a religion to appreciate the mythology.

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 07:55:53 am »
The mythology of various religions is interesting, regardless of the truthiness of any of them. Of course Norse mythology is objectively superior, because fucking Thor.

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 09:18:24 am »
The mythology of various religions is interesting, regardless of the truthiness of any of them. Of course Norse mythology is objectively superior, because fucking Thor.

I've always loved Egyptian mythology, and without Greek mythology there would be no Xena!

Also, the religious influence in holidays and festivals is good.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 01:23:37 pm »

Of course the downside is that no one knows how much of Norse mythology has been edited, removed, or outright made up by the Christian Monks who chronicled it.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 01:28:33 pm »

"Commissioned" is more accurate than "inspired" for a hell of a lot of those paintings, music and architecture.  And many Renaissance artists resented having to create works for the church, but as the church were the guys with all the cash and power there wasn't a lot of choice. But still, that doesn't change the fact that those works are indeed stunning.

I would add to this list the fact that religious institutions gave us the first hospitals and universities and, rather ironically these days, the beginnings of what would become science.

DID YOU KNOW:

Michaelangelo was basically kidnapped and held against his will for the duration that it took for him to paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. He didn't want to do it. He wanted nothing to do with the Pope or his project. The Pope had him dragged back and MADE HIM paint it.

So, yeah, 'commissioned' is more accurate than 'inspired' and sometimes 'forced people to produce' is even MORE accurate than that.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 01:38:12 pm »

DID YOU KNOW:

Michaelangelo was basically kidnapped and held against his will for the duration that it took for him to paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. He didn't want to do it. He wanted nothing to do with the Pope or his project. The Pope had him dragged back and MADE HIM paint it.

So, yeah, 'commissioned' is more accurate than 'inspired' and sometimes 'forced people to produce' is even MORE accurate than that.

I did not know that, no.  But now I do  :)

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 03:17:28 pm »
All I can hear is Bill Nye now...
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 04:44:32 pm »
The universities were a tad selective. They perpetuated the church's near-monopoly on literacy.  (They were not noted for bestowing scholarships on serfs.)  As for rudimentary science, it existed despite the church, not because of it.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.