Author Topic: A computer has passed the Turing test  (Read 6312 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: A computer has passed the Turing test
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 02:03:23 pm »
I imagine a "make sure humanity is happy" might work with the caveats of "a killed person counts as extremely unhappy", "using drugs to force happiness doesn't count", and "happiness of one peoples shouldn't come at the cost of happiness of other peoples."

But then I'm talking in abstract.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 02:30:46 pm »
I imagine a "make sure humanity is happy" might work with the caveats of "a killed person counts as extremely unhappy", "using drugs to force happiness doesn't count", and "happiness of one peoples shouldn't come at the cost of happiness of other peoples."

But then I'm talking in abstract.

The general thought is that you can't do this through patchwork "This is the ethical principle you have to follow, with exceptions a, b, c, d, e...", because if your ethical principle has so many exceptions, then it's not really a decent ethical principle and you'd best look for something better. I think the best idea right now for teaching ethics to an AI is saying "OK, look at humans, figure out what they think is right and wrong, now extrapolate that to a world where humans were smarter". Or something to that effect, but more precisely formulated.

Seems like it was decently done, apart from the celebreties being included as judges.

That's kind of a major point, though. Would a celebrity judge actually care about proper testing? Especially considering that a) celebrities tend to be people who enjoy publicity and b) "Turing test passed" is a headline, "Turing test failed" is not.

I'm not saying they deliberately passed a bot for publicity, mind you, just that they don't necessarily have any strong motivation to test properly.
Σא

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 04:11:06 pm »
I wonder what we'd do if we did creat a sapient computer?
I mean, how would you teach it things like ethics?
How would you make sure it didn't suffer pain from its existence?
It's just a matter of programming it to do those things, I would imagine.

Yup.  Despite what Hollywood (read, people that think computers are fucking magic wonder boxes) likes to bullshit constantly with things like Skynet, a computer only does what its told.  Its up to those who write code to tell it what to do and how to do it right.  Hell, developing basic ethical subroutines would probably be easier than, say, giving it simple emotions.  Some forms of ethics do require at least basic emotional reactions, or are enhanced by them, but the basic things like "don't murder people" require absolutely no emotion at all, just proper situational awareness.
That's a very boring answer.

Also, again, what the hell are we going to do with it once we make it?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 05:13:24 pm »

Yup.  Despite what Hollywood (read, people that think computers are fucking magic wonder boxes) likes to bullshit constantly with things like Skynet, a computer only does what its told.  Its up to those who write code to tell it what to do and how to do it right.  Hell, developing basic ethical subroutines would probably be easier than, say, giving it simple emotions.  Some forms of ethics do require at least basic emotional reactions, or are enhanced by them, but the basic things like "don't murder people" require absolutely no emotion at all, just proper situational awareness.

What's it going to do once complete?  Seriously, where the hell would it start?  Would we just define an arbitrary starting point and let it continue, or would we let it decide what to do with its first moments of life?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 06:22:45 pm »

What's it going to do once complete?  Seriously, where the hell would it start?  Would we just define an arbitrary starting point and let it continue, or would we let it decide what to do with its first moments of life?
get thousands of supermodels running up and begging the scientists to give them babies.
I imagine we'd have to teach it the ins and outs of being alive and aware of your own existence.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2014, 06:26:43 pm »
get thousands of supermodels running up and begging the scientists to give them babies.

That reminds me of an old anecdote about George Bernard Shaw.  Supposedly, a strange lady giving an address in Zürich wrote him a proposal, saying: “You have the greatest brain in the world, and I have the most beautiful body; so we ought to produce the most perfect child.”  Shaw asked: “What if the child inherits my body and your brains?”

Don't know if it's true, but it's certainly funny.

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2014, 06:27:30 pm »
And for fuck's sake keep it away from the internet! Otherwise our True AI will screw us all as soon as it discovers a comment section! At least until it's mature enough to ignore the bullshit.

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2014, 09:04:22 pm »
It'll come with the maturity patch pre-installed.  We only deal with that bullshit from human children because we have to, and some psychotics find it adorable.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2014, 12:37:00 am »
I'm seeing more and more reports claiming that this article was just crap.

Some are just complaining about how the Turing test is just a thought experiment and not a real milestone or achievement. While other articles are claiming that this particular test wasn't done well enough to qualify as a pass.

And RAvynoushunter, I don't think that making a truly self aware computer is impossible. It might not be possible with the current technology we have but who knows how much computers can advanve in the next few centuries, if we don't kill ourselves accidentally on purpose before that happens.

(Seriously, computers are becoming more and more advanced and human sciences in general have advanced greatly in the last few centuries.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2014, 08:39:37 am »
Yup, its not a question of if we can do it, its a question of when we can achieve it.  The more we understand about nature and the universe, the better we become at emulating it and improving upon it.