Author Topic: Charlie Hunnam cast as Christian Grey  (Read 15392 times)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
Charlie Hunnam cast as Christian Grey
« on: September 10, 2013, 01:08:22 am »
As expected, people are taking the piss out of it.

I really don't like 50 shades. And I really hope that Charlie fans don't go to see it just cause of Charlie. But at the same time I also know the people working on it deserve to be paid even if it's a shitty film.

ANYWAYS. My favorite reactions (some of these might have nsfw text depending)

I'm gonna use 'angrily aroused' more often now.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
Re: Charlie Hunnam cast as Christian Grey
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 01:19:33 am »
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 01:20:06 am »
So am I going to have to turn this into a horrible-quotes-from-50 Shades of Grey-thread?

“Trust me, Miss Steele,” he groaned wantonly like an aching, lonely lady of the night, but manly as well because he is so manly and dominating and sultry. His voice was like liquid mercury and just as dangerous. It was titillating. “I’m very well practiced in the likes of vanilla coitus.

I totally thought the movie was just a rumor and I had no idea they'd make it into a movie, but I should have guessed as much since they'll make any book into a movie these day (except for Finnegans Wake, I'd like to see a movie made from that book.)
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 01:57:33 am »
I don't get it.

Do they hate the actor or like him? Or is this just some stupid typecasting thing where they cannot accept that an actor could, you know... Act! And perhaps even play a role different than the previous one.

EDIT: Just want to add that my wife has all the books in the trilogy. I'm still pondering wether I should read them or not.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 02:03:52 am by askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 01:59:43 am »
Gyeonghwa - Please  tell me that is not a real quote from the book?

I feel for the bugger who has to say those lines.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 02:10:33 am »
Gyeonghwa - Please  tell me that is not a real quote from the book?

I feel for the bugger who has to say those lines.

It is and here's another!

His pointer finger circled my puckered love cave. ‘Are you ready for this?’ he mewled, smirking at me like a mother hamster about to eat her three-legged young.

Cannibal hamster. I couldn't think of anything sexier myself.

Edit:
I don't get it.

Do they hate the actor or like him? Or is this just some stupid typecasting thing where they cannot accept that an actor could, you know... Act! And perhaps even play a role different than the previous one.

EDIT: Just want to add that my wife has all the books in the trilogy. I'm still pondering wether I should read them or not.

They like him but hate the book and the role of his character. It's not that he can't act but that if he acts the way the book demand it would just be . . . bad.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 02:13:01 am by gyeonghwa »
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 02:16:13 am »
...I think that if I wanted to see Charlie Hunnam's ass I'd just watch a few of the early episodes of Sons of Anarchy.

My question isn't with the choice in casting, it's "Why the fuck is this mediocre crap in print being made into a movie?"

Seriously, is this how far the standards of literature have fallen? That this is the sort of shit that's being made into movies?
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 02:21:32 am »
I'm not done yet!

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 02:23:01 am »
I don't get it.

No they actually really do like him. They're just mocking how 50 shades of grey is going to go. It has nothing to do with him playing a role that is different than what he's done. It's about him actually doing 50 Shades.

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 02:30:06 am »
I remember an interview of the Finnish translator for these books.

Apparently the job was pretty fun... Apart from translating the sex scenes... It's not that she was awkward doing it, it was just hard to find suitable translations for the terms the books use for sexual organs and such. She had trouble not sounding too vulgar or too clinical as both would ruin the romantic theme.

And for the record, it doesn't sound any better in Finnish. With the original text being what it is the translator tried to be faithful to it, which in this case means turning off your brain:

"No niin, nyt sinä siis olet hurmannut isänikin."

"Hänetkin?" Christianin silmissä on palava katse, ja hän kohottaa kysyvästi kulmakarvojaan ja saa minut punastumaan. Hän kohottaa kättään ja hyväilee poskeani.

"Oi Anastasia, kunpa osaisin lukea ajatuksiasi", hän kuiskaa tummalla äänellä tarttuen leukaani ja nostaen päätääni niin, että kiihkeät katseemme kohtaavat.

Henkeni on salpautua. Miten hänellä voi olla tällainen vaikutus minuun jopa keskellä väenpaljoutta?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 02:32:53 am »
Fifty Shades is unique in that it's a fanfiction. Literally: it was initially a Twilight fanfic, and the author just decided to change the names and setting and publish it.

I think when the original fic and novel were compared through a plagiarism-detecting website, they came out at 80%+ similarity.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 02:43:31 am »
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 02:44:58 am »
50 Shades is romantic if you think an abusive relationship is romantic.

&

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 03:32:35 am »

Or cannibalistic hamsters.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 04:24:29 am »

Well that was the wording the translator used. Like I said, I haven't read them yet and tried to avoid spoilers on the off chance that I would read them.