Author Topic: Mass Effect 3  (Read 79980 times)

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
Re: Mass Effect 3
« Reply #330 on: May 21, 2012, 11:18:04 pm »
Forbes has been delving into video game journalism and and taking pot shots at who are considered traditional game reviewers. Of note was their take on the indoctrination theory.

To be honest, I was surprised and glad. Forbes is considered respectable and thus a counter to the nasty stigmas attached to video games and anything related to such.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #331 on: May 22, 2012, 01:57:53 am »

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Shano

• Bishop
  • Trust me, I am a doctor.
« Reply #332 on: May 22, 2012, 06:53:24 am »
Forbes has been delving into video game journalism and and taking pot shots at who are considered traditional game reviewers. Of note was their take on the indoctrination theory.

To be honest, I was surprised and glad. Forbes is considered respectable and thus a counter to the nasty stigmas attached to video games and anything related to such.

Unfortunately, in terms of reviewers, I am not sure I can dismiss the money and advertisements so easily out of the equation. See the film and book critics in established newspapers and magazines are completely independent from the industry. And game reviewers quite dependent - be it by direct support, or by the need to be invited to review a title. I see the point of the blogger, but greed is, in my perspective, a far more dominant motivational factor. If you are in any way, shape or form financially dependent, you are going to be biased.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 06:56:14 am by Shano »
The unbreakable wall

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #333 on: May 22, 2012, 09:44:56 am »
Actually game reviewers 99% of the time are independent. Just sayin'. Hence my above pic.

Accurate.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 09:50:16 am by Commander Shepard »

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Shano

• Bishop
« Reply #334 on: May 22, 2012, 12:41:34 pm »
Actually game reviewers 99% of the time are independent. Just sayin'. Hence my above pic.

The examples with film and book reviews in an unrelated media (like a newspaper for example) where reviewers are paid by the newspaper and the newspaper doesn't rely on the success and advertisement from the said film and book creators/publishers for survival seems to be vastly unparalleled in the world of gaming critique. Care to provide arguments why the reviewers do not rely on financial support from the game developers/publishers? I may be very wrong and those reviewers are in no way supported by advertisements and are not pressured into a bias. But your statement as a reviewer yourself is to me personally very suspicious.
The unbreakable wall

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #335 on: May 22, 2012, 12:58:20 pm »
But your statement as a reviewer yourself is to me personally very suspicious.

Lolwat

If Shane were not a reviewer, you'd be saying "You don't have experience with this, so therefore, you don't know for sure."

But since Shane IS a reviewer, you're saying "You have experience with this, therefore, you are suspect."

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Shano

• Bishop
« Reply #336 on: May 22, 2012, 05:02:07 pm »

Lolwat

If Shane were not a reviewer, you'd be saying "You don't have experience with this, so therefore, you don't know for sure."

But since Shane IS a reviewer, you're saying "You have experience with this, therefore, you are suspect."

What evidence do you have that I'd be saying anything if Shane was not a reviewer. Please do not put words in my mouth.
However, that's irrelevant since I welcome evidence that would show the independence of game reviewers. My statement comes from the conjecture that the games reviewers are directly associated with media that is predominantly supported by the industry itself.
The unbreakable wall

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #337 on: May 23, 2012, 01:50:29 am »
No, I'm pretty sure Zach's right.

99% of reviewers out there have to support themselves out of pocket. Why? Because companies don't like giving shit out for free. Companies also don't like giving games to people who have given them poor reviews in the past. Yes, this has happened and it made a giant shitstorm in the community.

It's moronic to believe that all reviewers rely on the industry. And it's also why a lot of review sites flop over and die. Because they can't support themselves. They don't know how. Or the economy hits and they can't pay for the copies.

But hey, keep believing that 99% of the high scores out there were paid for. Keep believing the game industry is like the mob and they pay people off to give a good word. Keep believing that the industry supports those who review. They don't, but you're free to believe it.

I find it funny that I predicted this kind of thing.

&

Offline Shano

• Bishop
« Reply #338 on: May 23, 2012, 06:34:12 am »

99% of reviewers out there have to support themselves out of pocket. Why? Because companies don't like giving shit out for free. Companies also don't like giving games to people who have given them poor reviews in the past. Yes, this has happened and it made a giant shitstorm in the community.

It's moronic to believe that all reviewers rely on the industry. And it's also why a lot of review sites flop over and die. Because they can't support themselves. They don't know how. Or the economy hits and they can't pay for the copies.

But hey, keep believing that 99% of the high scores out there were paid for. Keep believing the game industry is like the mob and they pay people off to give a good word. Keep believing that the industry supports those who review. They don't, but you're free to believe it.

So you put words in my mouth as well. (You and Zachski seem to think alike... in every thread that both of you have had an opinion... I start to wonder).

You say there was a shitstorm in the community, however you provide no clue if the practice stopped due to that shitstorm or it was just a three day wonder. (Oh how tempting it is to make a ME3  analogy here...)
Your next paragraph is difficult to parse for meaning. Are you saying the a lot of reviewers' sites flop over and die because reviewers do not rely on the industry? (And the logical conclusion is that those that DO rely survive?) In addition does your statement imply that you call those who believe that reviewer rely on the industry morons (sounds like ad hominem to me)?

From what you said I feel like you are actually supporting the argument that indeed the high scores are paid for by the industry. Oh and I do not see you mention the reliance of sites on advertisement.

Your statement about predictions you made seems non sequitur.
The unbreakable wall

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #339 on: May 23, 2012, 02:14:14 pm »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #340 on: May 23, 2012, 05:33:03 pm »
For divinity's sake stop spamming image macros. They're not helping your case in regards to making a serious argument.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
« Reply #341 on: May 23, 2012, 06:00:35 pm »

ahahahahahah

Wait, you serious?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA

U best be trollin' son. Lets break down this fail train down point by point.

Lolwat

Both of you are missing a very valid point, its called over generalization. One person does not speak of an entire group, especially that group is diverse! Also, the next person who tries to compare this to a Democracy gets smacked for stupidity, majority =/= ALL.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 06:22:40 pm by The Illusive Man »
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #342 on: May 23, 2012, 07:18:42 pm »
You know what? Neither of you are going to listen to a word I say so I'm just going to put you both on ignore so I don't have to put up with it. Congratulations. Oh, and google is your goddamn friend if you actually want answers as to what I've said.

&

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
« Reply #343 on: May 23, 2012, 07:47:46 pm »
Too much butthurt in this thread, back to fun stuff. The Miracle of Sound and Zero Punctuation present: awesome ME3 music videos!

Their playlist.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL90229471516D05ED&feature=plcp

Commander Shepard
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiRDJLcYua0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiRDJLcYua0</a>
Lyrics:
(click to show/hide)

Take it Back
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9feUxKIqKmg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9feUxKIqKmg</a>

Normandy
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfelfyV8LwA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfelfyV8LwA</a>
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 07:56:07 pm by The Illusive Man »

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #344 on: May 23, 2012, 09:09:09 pm »

The Reapers are targeting our training centers, and your mission is to draw their fire and attention. Put them on the defensive! Buy us time, and the reinforcements in training will soon back you up.

Allied Goal: Promote 50,000 characters.
Squad Goal: Promote 3 characters.
Special Circumstance: Due to the failure of Operation SILENCER, more banshees will spawn with Reaper enemies and might also spawn with other enemies.

Squad Goal Success: Squad members awarded a Commendation Pack.
Allied Goal Success: All players awarded a Victory Pack (high chance of containing a Rare weapon).

And this is what happens when you fail an operation in ME3... Great.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 07:58:44 am by Commander Shepard »

&