Author Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic  (Read 568376 times)

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
« Reply #555 on: February 26, 2012, 01:04:38 am »
I'd think the site would be big enough to move beyond something like Blogger by now. o.o; And certainly there'd be no shortage of willing hooves to handle coding a new site.

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
« Reply #556 on: February 26, 2012, 01:06:13 am »
I don't really spend a lot of time on the site, mostly because the format makes navigating it rather painful. They really should work on that.
My only issue is that do not make full use of tagging. I'd love it if when, for instance, a news post popped up that Derpy centric, I could click a Derpy tag and have all the news posts about the derpy crisis pop up. Instead, most of the tags are broad and don't help when mining for info on a particular thread of news. Therefore, if I've been gone from the site for a few days, I have to glean info from a vague, later news post and comments... or spend forever going through other posts. The search engine isn't also too accurate on this, since it will grab any post with the keywords, and that can be... problematic with the plethora of posts each day.

Meh, white wine.  ;D

I'd think the site would be big enough to move beyond something like Blogger by now. o.o; And certainly there'd be no shortage of willing hooves to handle coding a new site.
A new site would require funding beyond the small fee for forwarding from EquestriaDaily dot com. Considering the traffic size, I do NOT want to know what their bandwith charges would be.

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #557 on: February 26, 2012, 01:23:32 am »
A new site would require funding beyond the small fee for forwarding from EquestriaDaily dot com. Considering the traffic size, I do NOT want to know what their bandwith charges would be.

A valid point. But it's still kind of a turn off that the best source of pony news is basically impossible to navigate with any sort of certainty. I seriously can't find what I want the vast majority of the time.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #558 on: February 26, 2012, 02:37:23 am »
Yeah, it's purely from a cash standpoint, or (as Seth put it back at BroNYcon September) we would have probably moved to a proper, non-Blogger site around the 50 mil mark.

He actually showed a few of us pre-readers the stats once.  The sheer amount of bandwidth would run into the multiple-hundreds-of-dollars per month, pretty much without trying.

We are for pony what Fark is for news.  Which means so much bandwidth that Celestia and Luna would have a hard time lifting it.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #559 on: February 26, 2012, 02:41:18 am »
Even with that many visitors, there's no way to make up the hosting costs with advertising and such?

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #560 on: February 26, 2012, 02:48:37 am »
Not by a long shot.  The advertising bucks Seth gets back accounts for what would be roughly 18% of what he'd actually need to pay the bandwidth, as memory serves.  He'd need donation drives monthly just to cover bandwidth, and he's not willing to harrass the EqD userbase for it.  So, on Blogger we stay, until a better option comes up.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #561 on: February 26, 2012, 02:55:11 am »
Well, that is a little disappointing to hear. I understand there's no helping it, but trying to navigate the site if you don't visit it every day really is just a massive headache. ;.;

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #562 on: February 26, 2012, 09:51:22 am »
The new scene is horrid and ironically IMO by fixing her eyes she becomes more offensive
since now she seems like an idiot rather then a normal person with a vision problem

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #563 on: February 26, 2012, 12:19:22 pm »
The new scene is horrid and ironically IMO by fixing her eyes she becomes more offensive
since now she seems like an idiot rather then a normal person with a vision problem

Uhm... she's supposed to be an idiot. Her name is Derpy. She was sitting there bouncing up and down on a storm cloud. In the middle of town. After being told to stop.

The problem is, the original scene made her come across as retarded instead of just klutzy and prone to disaster. The only change I really disagreed with was taking out her name.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #564 on: February 26, 2012, 05:11:52 pm »
I keep forgetting not everypony frequents EqD (or in my case, has it as their home page).  We hear about upcoming episodes... usually two, three weeks in advance.  We have another Fluttershy episode coming up, a Spike-centric episode (with world-building!) ... Hasbro loves us.

I like EqD, and I frequent it.  I just don't click past the break for new episode announcements, because I want to avoid the synopses for as long as I can.  I usually see it on FB from the MLP page about a day before the episode airs. XD
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #565 on: February 26, 2012, 05:38:33 pm »
It's no different than an episode synopsis on TV Guide, B.  It's all we get for upcoming episode info.  That's it.  We don't get spoilers... well, unless you count the early release of Hearts and Hooves day on Itunes...

Formerly Priestling

Offline e13

• The Beast
« Reply #566 on: February 27, 2012, 12:20:38 am »
Not by a long shot.  The advertising bucks Seth gets back accounts for what would be roughly 18% of what he'd actually need to pay the bandwidth, as memory serves.  He'd need donation drives monthly just to cover bandwidth, and he's not willing to harrass the EqD userbase for it.  So, on Blogger we stay, until a better option comes up.

Have you looked at the host NearlyFreeSpeech.net? I pay next to nothing for hosting of my site. Mind you, I get low bandwith use. I just know they have some of the better rates because, well, they give you no editing tools or what have you. You need someone to build a stie entirely from scratch (or use another program, but whatever.)
It's no different than an episode synopsis on TV Guide, B.  It's all we get for upcoming episode info.  That's it.  We don't get spoilers... well, unless you count the early release of Hearts and Hooves day on Itunes...
NOT AN ACTUAL EPISODE DESCRIPTION:

It's usually nothing more than this, B:

The Great and Humble (Air Date - 9/10/2099): The Great and Powerful Trixie returns to Ponyville claiming to have mended her ways, but will anypony trust her?

That's about it. If that seriously insn't something you want, then keep doing what'cha doing.  ;D

« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 09:10:56 am by e13 »

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #567 on: February 27, 2012, 12:27:15 am »
@e13, I love your Pony approval seals

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #568 on: February 27, 2012, 01:45:46 am »
e13:  Seth would be proud of you.

Nick:  Those were also posted on EqD some days back.  Here you go:  http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/02/pony-approved-badges.html

Formerly Priestling

Offline e13

• The Beast
« Reply #569 on: February 27, 2012, 09:14:48 am »
Yeah, I snatched them up immediately! :D I encourage others to do the same and spread pony far and wide!.. Well, farther and wider than we already have... Where isn't pony these days? It's across the States, Canada, Australia, Europe... I don't know about chunks of Africa, South America and I don't think we own all of Asia yet... Hmm...