Author Topic: Pope Francis changes Lord's Prayer  (Read 2216 times)

Offline Chaos Undivided

• Pope
  • Death to the False Emperor!
Pope Francis changes Lord's Prayer
« on: June 05, 2019, 10:07:48 pm »
https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/cwn/2019/june/pope-francis-officially-approves-change-to-lords-prayer

I'm agnostic, so I don't really care what the "official" wording of a prayer is. My question is why's this a bigger issue to Francis than pedophile priests?
Anti-authoritarian, anti-extremist, anti-bullshit.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Pope Francis changes Lord's Prayer
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 10:51:58 pm »
Because addressing the problem of pedophiles in the clergy and related occupations would require actual, real reform that would shake the Catholic Church's power structure to its very core.

Whereas this is just some fluffy, do-nothing bullshit.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 06:14:05 pm »
Huh. "Do not let us fall into temptation" is how it's phrased in the most common Spanish version of the Lord's Prayer, and in several translations of Matthew 6:13

which is presumably the version Francis grew up with
Σא

Offline KingOfRhye

• Pope
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 01:14:43 pm »
I'm just waiting for some of the more anti-Catholic fundies to freak out over this one.  Actually, I bet it's already happened, I just haven't looked yet.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 01:31:50 pm »
I'm just waiting for some of the more anti-Catholic fundies to freak out over this one.  Actually, I bet it's already happened, I just haven't looked yet.

Probably some Catholic traditionalists are also freaking out about it, like they did when he did the Holy Thursday mass in a prison instead of a cathedral.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.