Author Topic: Gamers throw shitfit re: transgender character in Baldur's Gate  (Read 35039 times)

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
Re: Gamers throw shitfit re: transgender character in Baldur's Gate
« Reply #165 on: April 07, 2016, 02:19:59 am »
It was 35%. I might just go through the GOG comments and calculate the actual percentage, if I end up hating life enough today.

I have a cheese grater if you feel like masturbating with it. It would be more fun than that.

Even Then

« Reply #166 on: April 07, 2016, 03:07:55 am »
I was bored, so I went back to the GOG reviews and tallied up every comment that had the transphobic elements that I've already explained, along with that whole "rargh a transgender character existing or social íssues being referenced means it's hamfisted SJW propaganda, muh escapism, muh status quo, minority characters aren't allowed to be fortright etc." tone. You know the tone.

In the interests of full disclosure: I got 37 out of 155, which rounds out to 24%. Below UP's arbitrary percentage, sure, but still a fourth of the comments. As for the Steam part, IIRC that uses infinite scroll and my religion forbids that annoying shit.

Oh, and:

Quote from: UP
3.  That has more to do with taking away the player's choice than anything.  Still, I can kind of see where you're coming from.

You can still kill Mizhena. This comment is whining that you're not allowed to do it at a sufficient hate crime level.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 03:12:46 am by Even Then »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #167 on: April 07, 2016, 03:14:48 am »
24% of all comments or just the negative ones?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Even Then

« Reply #168 on: April 07, 2016, 03:29:10 am »
All of them, because I'm a dumbass. Oh well, I'm not going back for a redo.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #169 on: April 07, 2016, 03:35:37 am »
All of them, because I'm a dumbass. Oh well, I'm not going back for a redo.

Wow you must be filled with self loathing right now. If you were black you'd be vulnerable to interracial relationships.

Even Then

« Reply #170 on: April 07, 2016, 04:10:35 am »
Well, I'm white, so apparently I'm vulnerable to having my nonexistent boyfriend be fucked by a black person.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #171 on: April 07, 2016, 08:23:00 am »
24% of all comments or just the negative ones?

It doesn't really matter because we all know that if UP ever found himself on the wrong side of that 24% he would have a howling bitchfit of absolutely legendary proportions over the injustice of it all. I think the whole 'die cis scum' affair is more than adequate proof of that, but there are numerous other incidences we can all cite without even needing to mention the proverbial elephant in the room.

Other than to draw the rat out of his hole I'm not sure why we would let UP dictate what percentage constitutes a legitimate problem. It literally asks the abuser how much abuse they feel they should be allowed to give. It would be akin to asking the KKK how people they can lynch and how many crosses they can burn before it becomes a problem. UP might not actually wear the robes himself but he is certainly happy to do their laundry for them.

Even Then

« Reply #172 on: April 07, 2016, 09:01:34 am »
The rat was out of its hole the moment UP posted into this thread, and I'm not letting him dictate anything. His percentage is arbitrary, his standards his own and his wilful blindness laughable.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #173 on: April 07, 2016, 09:36:27 am »
Is up upset about a trans character or us he saying it's okay for others to be upset about a trans character?
He is claiming that no one is upset about a trans character and that the complaints are actually about ethics in journalism bugs in computer games.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Even Then

« Reply #174 on: April 07, 2016, 09:40:00 am »
Actually, he's saying that the transphobia and general conservatism are just overblown, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan. (Despite being 1/4 of the comments at Gog.)

I'm not saying this to defend him but because if I don't, he'll just whine about being misunderstood and this thread will spin even more futilely on its ass.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 09:42:01 am by Even Then »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #175 on: April 07, 2016, 10:19:47 am »
To hell with UPs arbitrary percentage, I have an actual way to test if something is significant, something that you can't fucking argue with: actual, real MATH.  A statistical test.  More specifically, a Z test.  I'll be marking each transphobic post as a "1," and any non-transphobic post as a "0."  The list contains 155 elements, consisting of 37 1s and 118 0s.

mu: 0.37374
sigma: 0.48626
mu0: 0
Ha: mu != mu0

From this, we get:

Z = 7.64743
P(Z) = 2.0685x10-14

This means that the probability of this event happening by chance alone is infinitesimally small; we do not have enough evidence to reject the alternate hypothesis (Ha).  Statistically speaking, this must then, therefore, be due to some outside influence, the most likely culprit being targeted transphobia.  Oh, and the great thing about this?  Literally anyone can check my work.  Go ahead, if I cocked up something, let me know.

Fucking math.  It works, bitches.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #176 on: April 07, 2016, 10:22:14 am »
24% "hurrrrr-tranny!durrrrr-SJW!" out of all the reviews, whether negative, positive, or meh? That's a massive orgy of rigid appendas agendas being thrust down dudebro throats.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #177 on: April 07, 2016, 10:36:02 am »
To hell with UPs arbitrary percentage, I have an actual way to test if something is significant, something that you can't fucking argue with: actual, real MATH.  A statistical test.  More specifically, a Z test.  I'll be marking each transphobic post as a "1," and any non-transphobic post as a "0."  The list contains 155 elements, consisting of 37 1s and 118 0s.

mu: 0.37374
sigma: 0.48626
mu0: 0
Ha: mu != mu0

From this, we get:

Z = 7.64743
P(Z) = 2.0685x10-14

This means that the probability of this event happening by chance alone is infinitesimally small; we do not have enough evidence to reject the alternate hypothesis (Ha).  Statistically speaking, this must then, therefore, be due to some outside influence, the most likely culprit being targeted transphobia.  Oh, and the great thing about this?  Literally anyone can check my work.  Go ahead, if I cocked up something, let me know.

Fucking math.  It works, bitches.

Thank you Ravy. While I'm definitely a numbers person, certain elements of statistics escape me. You actually addressed the issue with hard numbers and facts in such a way that should put the debate to rest. Thank you for taking the time, to run the numbers, and explain a complex formula to us in a way that is easily understood.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Even Then

« Reply #178 on: April 07, 2016, 10:36:11 am »
To be fair, my calculations also included "hurrr SJW! social messages need to be nice and inoffensive and quiet, also this joke about our catchphrase is a declaration of holy war" alongside the transphobia. I'd go back and check what percentage of the comments contained transphobia and which ones are just general "anti-SJW" conservative fuckshittery (even though a notable amount of them had that transphobic tone to them), but I'm not quite that bored/depressed right now. Maybe later.

Or if someone else wants to take a crack at it, I salute your strength.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #179 on: April 07, 2016, 11:12:01 am »
Actually, he's saying that the transphobia and general conservatism are just overblown, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan. (Despite being 1/4 of the comments at Gog.)

I'm not saying this to defend him but because if I don't, he'll just whine about being misunderstood and this thread will spin even more futilely on its ass.

Because transphobia and conservativism are inherently related.  Guess that makes TERFs conservatives.