Author Topic: LGBT community promotes "Kiss in" at Chick-fil-A  (Read 2735 times)

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
LGBT community promotes "Kiss in" at Chick-fil-A
« on: August 03, 2012, 07:10:23 pm »
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/puckering-protest-lgbt-communities-promote-kiss-chick-fil-175923809.html

I'm actually not entirely sure what they are hoping to accomplish by doing this, but I wish them luck.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: LGBT community promotes "Kiss in" at Chick-fil-A
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 07:32:26 pm »
I think they're trying to accomplish feeling better about themselves.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline SkyTrekTower

• Bishop
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 09:05:50 pm »
Yeah, I don't see the reasoning behind this.  While I'm against punishing the franchisees over the beliefs of the parent company, eating at Chick-fil-a doesn't seem like the best way to protest it.  Wouldn't a better protest be to have a Popeyes(or KFC) appreciation day?

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 09:49:45 pm »
Yeah, I don't see the reasoning behind this.  While I'm against punishing the franchisees over the beliefs of the parent company, eating at Chick-fil-a doesn't seem like the best way to protest it.  Wouldn't a better protest be to have a Popeyes(or KFC) appreciation day?

Here in Oklahoma we have Charlie's Chicken, and they're damn good. I only know of one Chick-fil-a near hear and I've ate there twice. Both times it was overpriced and tasted mediocre at best. I'd have prefered to go next door and get some chicken nuggets from Mcdonalds. I own six chickens and have quite a few extra eggs laying around. I want to take all of them and egg the local Chick-fil-a. However I won't as all it will do is make more work for the people that work there, and I'm sure working there sucks enough as it is. I still need something to do with all these damn eggs...
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 10:19:40 pm »
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/puckering-protest-lgbt-communities-promote-kiss-chick-fil-175923809.html

I'm actually not entirely sure what they are hoping to accomplish by doing this, but I wish them luck.

Basically to scare away homophobes who eat at Chic-fil-a
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 10:34:57 pm »
I'm getting tired of hearing about the whole Chick-Fil-A thing.  It's this summer's version of KONY 2012.

People can go ahead and boycott the company.  I certainly never eat there, as their support of the Christian Right has been something of an open secret for years.  Likewise, I don't eat Domino's pizza for the same reason...that and the fact that their pizza sucks and there are plenty of real Italian restaurants where I am.

I'm not sure how much difference a boycott can make in the grand scheme of things though, as marriage law is still largely the domain of state law (as it has been since the U.S. Constitution was enacted).

Fuck it, I'll stay home and cook my own goddamned chicken.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 04:09:57 am »
I don't eat at Chick-Fil-A, but I've not since before all this.  I feel sorry for the workers involved that slave in CFA.  Boycotts really mostly hurt them.  I'm sure they hate their jobs, but in this economy, you try to hang on as long as you can to what you've got.   
I'm just glad I'm not caught up in that moral dilemma since I never eat there.   Heh, I've got enough dilemmas on my plate as it is.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 03:05:15 pm »
It does seem that all of our food is becoming involved in politics.

I must know where all my food stands on main issues!
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 05:17:47 am »
I don't eat at Chick-Fil-A, but I've not since before all this.  I feel sorry for the workers involved that slave in CFA.  Boycotts really mostly hurt them.  I'm sure they hate their jobs, but in this economy, you try to hang on as long as you can to what you've got.   
I'm just glad I'm not caught up in that moral dilemma since I never eat there.   Heh, I've got enough dilemmas on my plate as it is.

According to the Huffington Post (I can't link because the page keeps screwing up my internet), a lot of their employees (many of whom are gay) are getting the hate from both sides of the issue.  It's bad enough dealing with ***hole customers over ordinary things, but to get cursed at for the views of the company's owner (whether they agree with it or not) is horrible. 

Many of the people on the other side of that counter are just kids putting themselves through college, and I'll continue to support them.  You want to hate Cathy, go ahead.  But leave the people behind the counter alone!
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 05:23:37 am »
Well said, Vypernight.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 11:47:17 am »
Many of the people on the other side of that counter are just kids putting themselves through college, and I'll continue to support them.  You want to hate Cathy, go ahead.  But leave the people behind the counter alone!

What gets me are the people who insist that they should quit their jobs in protest over the whole debacle. It's easy to yap on about tacit support when you're not the one relying on that pay cheque to support your family, education, etc. in a lousy job market. I mean, are you (general "you") going to help all of those workers find other jobs or make ends meet if they can't gain other means of employment?
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 02:45:39 pm »
I don't begrudge the workers of Chick-Fil-A one bit.  If they're awesome people, then awesome for them, and I'm not about to tell them they should quit on principle.

These are financially dark times.

Now, the fact that the owner supports anti-gay organizations, I don't like.  (And has anyone confirmed if he's using company funds to donate to them?)
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet