Author Topic: Our New Thing  (Read 26597 times)

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
Re: Our New Thing
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2013, 02:52:11 am »
I'll actually be studying a lot of related fields this year (audio/video/image edition, web design, journalism, mass media), and I've been writing for a music website since March. This is also similar to a project I'm discussing with a friend; I may be able to get her on board (she'd fit in rather well) if we focus on state/national politics somewhere. Otherwise, I'd love to contribute content relating to music, if applicable, and renewable/sustainable technology.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2013, 11:47:29 am »
I wish I could do something to help.  Unfortunately, all I can do is continue to visit the forum and give traffic to whatever our new thing becomes.

That's all you need to do, we enjoy your lurking presence :)

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2013, 01:43:56 pm »
One thing that occurred to me recently is that some hobbyist forums are solely that; just free standing forums, and many do very well, and grow nicely. You find them popping up in results by Google searching the general topic of the hobby, usually. Some such forums get sponsor links, too, from dot coms in the business of hobby supplies. I was an active member of a reef aquarium forum years ago, and it still thrives to this day ( http://reefcentral.com/ ).

Maybe the ideas posted earlier in this thread about cross linking from YouTube, FB, and asking to place links from the main pages of various news sites and organization sites we like would work just fine for drawing in new members to FQA.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2013, 03:39:28 pm »
And I shall do the nude modeling.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2013, 04:38:01 pm »
I hear no objections.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2013, 05:08:32 pm »
* Very snappy visual presentation.

* I am much smitten by the user name Osama bin Bambi, and the pic as well.

* We've hit the ground running with all these new ideas.  I thought we'd just call one another names while we settle in for awhile.  The enthusiasm and willingness to contribute is impressive.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2013, 05:26:57 pm »
I hear no objections.
I will object for the sole reason of being difficult.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2013, 05:45:04 pm »
Tumblr's better for sharing content than generating it, particularly when it comes to text posts. Wordpress or something similar would definitely be preferable for the main blog.

Although, Tumblr could be useful for sharing any images we generate. Perhaps it could be used a sideblog kinda deal? And using it as a mirror, as per Anti-nonsense's suggestion, for excerpts/links to text posts isn't a bad idea, either.

For the blog, perhaps we could have some kind of "try-out", where anyone who wishes to contribute could submit an article or two (or images/whatever they're planning on contributing) to Sigma or various forum members to read over and assess, in order to assure that we'll be producing high-quality content?

This is more or less what I had in mind. More specifically:

An FQA Projects subforum will be going up soon, which will be the venue for discussing all our New Things. So, anyone who wishes to contribute for example an article can post it there first, it's proof-read , edited, etc., and then if we like it, we put it up. Users who've had enough approved articles are given access to post articles directly. When we have a decent number of approved contributors I'll probably let them handle most of the matter and try to fade into the background.
Σא

Offline Sour Grapes

• Bishop
  • Brutally honest.
    • Ask Sour Grapes
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2013, 05:51:03 pm »
If you wanted, you could read my stuff Here.  Now mind you, the final entry on Bioshock was written when only a handful of images, and the barest bones of the plot were known.  Though the imagery does very much suggest what I wrote, it isn't exactly what Columbua turned out to be. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 05:57:26 pm by Sour Grapes »

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2013, 10:38:39 pm »
So no opinions on the possible use of Tumblr?
If we do have a blog, then Tumblr would probably be the best place for it, considering the large user base.

My reaction to the idea of using Tumblr for our blog:

I don't use Tumblr, but from what I've had the displeasure of seeing, mainly through the old SJW thread, I'd prefer to stay far the hell away.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2013, 10:42:54 pm »
That sort of fucktardery in the old SJW thread is actually pretty uncommon on Tumblr, and I know this as a regular user who follows several "social justice" blogs.

I actually like Tumblr because its interface is very user-friendly, even if it has an interesting idea of which updates are "necessary" sometimes.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2013, 11:42:31 pm »
My reaction to the idea of using Tumblr for our blog:

<Begone, foul beast. Thine powers are useless here!>

I don't use Tumblr, but from what I've had the displeasure of seeing, mainly through the old SJW thread, I'd prefer to stay far the hell away.

Eh, I just figured the social justice warriors were ubiquitous to any blog site, with Tumblr being infested with them simply because it's the biggest blog site on the internet right now. Though that's purely an assumption on my part.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2013, 12:04:13 am »
I don't agree, I've seen a lot of stupidity on Tumblr, & relatively few blogs that I don't roll my eyes at. I also have no idea how it's "user friendly," it's a complete mess. You can't even follow a single thread without going through a million "reblogs," most of which are just copying it without context. Half of the time, I don't even know who wrote the thing in the first place.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2013, 02:46:14 am »
I could try writing stuff. I tend to write short stories, but have been giving a shot at writing for Cracked recently. Hmm. If I do get an article or more on there, I'll plug the forums in my bio at the end.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline BrandonL337

• Tyrannical Pervert Judge (MWAHAHAHA)
  • Apprentice
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2013, 03:02:07 am »
Well, I'm happy to see the move went well. (and very happy that i'm still the tyrannical pervert judge) as for projects, i could probably do some articles or movie reviews .

I like the podcast idea too, I'm thinking maybe having one or two regular hosts and a rotating selection of forumite guests. (for scheduling and such)