Author Topic: Satanist Hippies & other things you can learn about from text books  (Read 1305 times)

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/hippies-satan-worship-school-history-book-201334876.html

A school participating in Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal's controversial voucher program is apparently using a history book that teaches its eighth-grade students that "hippies" were dirty followers of Satan-worshipping rock musicians.

The textbook, “America: Land I Love," includes a section on the counterculture movement of the 1960s.

Here's a paragraph taken from that section, which was published Wednesday by AmericaBlog.com:

Many young people turned to drugs and immoral lifestyles; these youth became known as hippies. They went without bathing, wore dirty, ragged, unconventional clothing, and deliberately broke all codes of politeness or manners. Rock music played an important part in the hippie movement and had great influence over the hippies. Many of the rock musicians they followed belonged to Eastern religious cults or practiced Satan worship.

It's not clear which school is using the aforementioned textbook. John Aravosis, who published the text on AmericaBlog, said the source was "a friend" who sent him a photo of the section.

And here's some more wacky "facts" one can learn from Louisiana text books..  http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/2012/07/photos-evangelical-curricula-louisiana-tax-dollars

I used to think stupidity was easy but apparently there are people who put a lot of work into it.
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
Re: Satanist Hippies & other things you can learn about from text books
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 04:12:20 pm »
I hope there's an uproar.

Hippies rule! We need to bring them back! Bring back the Flowerpower!

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 04:41:40 pm »
They came back for a short while in the mid to late 90s.  bell bottoms, peace signs, psychedelic mushrooms, flowers, and band T-shirts were everywhere.   Strange times.

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 04:43:06 pm »
This almost sounds like a parody, but considering what parts of Louisiana are like...
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 04:47:32 pm »
As someone who lives in Louisiana I must say this again why does the really dumb shit happen here?

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 04:55:03 pm »
Haha.  It's good to see this get its own spinoff thread from the Facebook one.

Yeah.  WTF, Louisiana?
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 05:24:31 pm »
Oh, and people wonder why America's school's suck.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Itachirumon

• The Buzzing Digital Uke
  • Pope
  • The Highly-Caffinated Borderline Insane Uke
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 08:12:57 pm »
Schools suck because we don't give the DoE any true power to enforce standards - and when we do we get No Child Left Intelligent - if we wanted to give our schools a bit higher standards, when shit like this happens, or the fiasco with the Texas BoE the government needs to step in and say "Yeah.. No, hell no, and a double side-order of fuck no. You're not doing that, your curriculum has to meet a certain level of scientific scrutiny and historical and intellectual accuracy - those books do not.

Problem is keeping it from being abused by those with screwed up agendas. Sometimes, educationally, I really despise my country. If the rest of the world gets it, why don't we. Why can't we kick the anti-intellectuals out?
"Sleep is for the weak
Caffeine is my sacrament
Are those spiders real?"

I do NOT have a dubious relationship to sleep. We had a perfectly ambicable seperation

Ask me about the knife in your back!

When I die, they should process my blood into an energy drink - it'll be called Vampiric, and one dose will cause diabetes... Also, you might see noises.

"No.. can't eat... I'm fucking my catboy"

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 09:34:04 pm »
Oh, and people wonder why America's school's suck.

Not American. Just redneck.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 09:39:07 pm »
This is why we can't have nice things!
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 10:18:26 pm »
Sad part is I went to a Private Catholic Christian school and I got a better education than most people I know from America! In Kansas!
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying