Author Topic: Texas tries to refund family planning cuts...  (Read 2050 times)

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
Texas tries to refund family planning cuts...
« on: March 10, 2013, 02:58:14 pm »
...After a huge spike of unplanned births in lower class families.

Using taxpayer dollars to finance family-planning services has become politically thorny in Texas, largely because of Republican lawmakers’ assertions that the women’s health clinics providing that care are affiliated with abortion providers. In the fiscal crunch of 2011, the Legislature cut the state’s family-planning budget by two-thirds, with some lawmakers claiming that they were defunding the “abortion industry.” Researchers at the University of Texas at Austin, found that more than 50 family-planning clinics had closed statewide as a result.

Now, amid estimates that the cuts could lead to 24,000 additional 2014-15 births at a cost to taxpayers of $273 million,  lawmakers are seeking a way to restore financing without ruffling feathers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/01/us/texas-may-restore-some-family-planning-budget-cuts.html?_r=3&

Look at me being totally not surprized by this.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Texas tries to refund family planning cuts...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 01:02:28 am »
Look...my shocked face!

-_-

Ironbite-thank you.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 01:06:12 am »
Even when these asshats try to apologize for this bullshit, I can dearly hope that Rick Perry is not getting another term as Governor later next year. We almost all had enough of him.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 01:28:12 am »
I just love it when the plans of neocon governments blow up in their faces, especially when they should have known better.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 02:23:06 am »
I just love it when the plans of neocon governments blow up in their faces, especially when they should have known better.
It's not so funny when they're actually fucking over a huge number of people in the name of bullshit.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 12:37:54 pm »

Don't you know providing decent sex ed, and contraception is the most evil thing ever??Overall, they don't give two shits about low income people, because poor people are icky, and it's ok to punish them for all of society's ill's.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 09:22:15 pm »
Yeah, not surprised that that didn't work out for them.  Could have seen that one coming a mile away...
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Distind

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 06:44:47 am »
There's a lesson here for democrats. Don't try to garner sympathy for the poor, use the poor as a weapon to scare the republicans into voting for what they should have in the first place if they had a shred of human decency.

Offline Patches

• Bishop
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 06:52:08 am »
There's a lesson here for democrats. Don't try to garner sympathy for the poor, use the poor as a weapon to scare the republicans into voting for what they should have in the first place if they had a shred of human decency.
Well, yeah.  Democrats generally try to manipulate you by telling you how much your prosperity is hurting those less fortunate, and Republicans try to manipulate you by telling you how much the less fortunate's prosperity is hurting you.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 08:40:15 am »
Yeah, not surprised that that didn't work out for them.  Could have seen that one coming a mile away...

Well, you  can tell a kid the stove is hot until you are blue in the face. Sometimes they just have to see for themselves.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline alaric112

• Neonate
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 10:59:24 am »
The sad bit is, if any Republicans actually try and turn this around, there'll be instant calls for their resignation, as they're clearly not Republican enough. At least assuming the Tea Party crowd hasn't stopped raging against the "RINOs" since I stopped paying attention to them.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 12:14:02 pm »
Ahhh yes the Tea Party.  The thing that shall kill the GOP if it fails to gain any form of traction in the 2014 election.

Ironbite-that means taking back the White House from the scary black man.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 04:15:25 pm »
It's not so funny when they're actually fucking over a huge number of people in the name of bullshit.

Far right pro-lifers don't care how many people's lives they ruined, as long as they saved the fetuses.

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 07:29:21 pm »

Far right pro-lifers don't care how many people's lives they ruined, as long as they saved the fetuses.

Have stopped abortion, since they seem to not care if the mother AND the fetus will die in birth.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!