Author Topic: Fight Crime by Banning Deer Hunting???  (Read 2762 times)

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
Re: Fight Crime by Banning Deer Hunting???
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 09:19:58 pm »
Ok, skimmed through the article.
Law would ban all expanding bullets (including but not limited to hollow-points). Wisconsin law says that only expanding bullets can be used in deer hunting, this limitation has valid reasons. Therefore: This new law, if passed, would stop deer hunting with rifles. Bows and such might still be allowed.

Also, before expanding bullets were invented rifles, muskets, flintlocks etc. had simple lead bullets. Those work but the newer types are more accurate, create better and more controlled wounds and can be more powerful.

Well at least you are paying attention and not making penis jokes.

I think the most likely reason that Wisconsin law forbids deer hunting with non-expanding rounds is the danger of the round passing through the deer and hitting something, or someone on the other side.  For some time New York state did not rifles to be used in hunting deer at all for that reason.  You had to use shotgun (solid slug), bow or black powder.

Never knew that, but I can see why some people might be concerned about that in woods near higher populations.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Art Vandelay

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 09:24:16 pm »
Real men should hunt deer the traditional way. With their penes. Women - what are you doing hunting - make me a bambi sandwich.

Deer seem really hard to murder with genitalia.

Kinda hard to commit murder against something when there's no actual law against killing it.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 11:18:55 pm »
-snip-

I just want to nit-pick a little bit and point out that the hollow-point rounds with a plastic nose are called Ballistic Tip Rounds and the other type, where the jacket doesn't reach the tip are called Jacketed Soft Points. Aside from that, you're spot on.

But I also want to point out that this law goes a step beyond it's intent and could end up banning a lot of FMJ rounds for handguns as well. When a round is fired it needs to expand to be able to better grip the rifling in the barrel and create a better seal between the round and the barrel itself. Because of that, and because a handgun round doesn't carry a great deal of powder compared to a rifle, a lot of FMJ handgun rounds are made without copper on the base of the round so the exposed lead and non-connecting copper will allow the base to deform under pressure from the expanding gases while still in the barrel. As the law is written, these handgun rounds would be banned.

Also, I'd like to know why, if these rounds are so horrible and evil...why are police exempted from it?
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 12:34:43 am »
You know what Wisconsin, you ban deer hunting*. Have fun with that deer population.

*By extension of the banning of hollow points.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2013, 02:27:08 am »
-snip-
-snap-

Fair enough, I knew I was going to get some names wrong. I was trying to give just a quick little info dump to shed some light for those who don't know about guns. If I had been trying to make a serious lecture it would have had sources and pictures. Thanks for the added info though, I was planning to put some of that in my post but it really was getting long already.

Also, I'd like to know why, if these rounds are so horrible and evil...why are police exempted from it?
The same reason why the army can have fully automatic weapons and tanks and fighterplanes, while civilians dont'. (In most countries.) These lawmakers obviously believe that hollow-points are special ammo that civilians have no reasonable need for.

Basically just like tanks and artillery and surface-to-air missiles and such are restricted or banned from civilians.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Distind

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 06:42:56 am »
Really, the 19th century?
Pretty much as we got bullets that shot straight rather than tumble someone probably thought it'd be cool to file the ends down.

-snip-

I just want to nit-pick a little bit and point out that the hollow-point rounds with a plastic nose are called Ballistic Tip Rounds and the other type, where the jacket doesn't reach the tip are called Jacketed Soft Points. Aside from that, you're spot on.

But I also want to point out that this law goes a step beyond it's intent and could end up banning a lot of FMJ rounds for handguns as well. When a round is fired it needs to expand to be able to better grip the rifling in the barrel and create a better seal between the round and the barrel itself. Because of that, and because a handgun round doesn't carry a great deal of powder compared to a rifle, a lot of FMJ handgun rounds are made without copper on the base of the round so the exposed lead and non-connecting copper will allow the base to deform under pressure from the expanding gases while still in the barrel. As the law is written, these handgun rounds would be banned.

Simple, it's a round intended to do massive damage. If you piss a cop off enough to actually use their gun you're death has become an acceptable possiblity.

If you're going to ban the things, undo the deer hunting limitation and have a nice day. Though I wouldn't be surprised in the least if all of these 'unexpected side effects' were utterly intentional. I know they banned a variety of hollow points around here because corners were cutting themselves on them, which seems a reasonably legit reason.