Author Topic: And she's off! Hilary Clinton announces her intentions to run.  (Read 11715 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: And she's off! Hilary Clinton announces her intentions to run.
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2015, 05:04:47 pm »
I know it's bad to get overconfident, but I'm sort of already taking it as a given that she'll win the Democratic nomination, and by this virtue alone, she'll have a significant advantage in the general election. While she's campaigning for president, the Republicans will be fighting amongst themselves for their party's nomination.

That's why people aren't that concerned with the GOP comes out with attack ads already aimed at her.  We all knew this was coming and for once, the Democrats have the advantage.  The GOP has completely destroyed their chances at a national election for at least the next 16 years.  By going so hard to the right, they've pretty much alienated so many moderates who may have agreed with them that taking the White House is gonna take some serious PR moves and the GOP doesn't actually get that.  Now Congress on the other hand....

Ironbite-that's a bit harder what with gerrymandering and general apathy.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 12:27:43 pm »
I agree that she'd be a hard one to beat. Not unbeatable, but you'd need a moderate to run against her. Someone like John Huntsman or even Christie. But moderates don't do well in primaries. So it looks I'll be going 3rd party again.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 01:43:50 pm »
If Clinton wins the nomination I'm voting third party*. Clinton's track record shows she won't be much different than Obama when it comes to prioritizing the wants of the wealthy over the needs of the poor. I am sick and tired of Democrats using the "lesser of two evils" excuse to lurch to the right and erase any meaningful leftist platform on the national level.

I should vote in the primaries this time around.

* I'll change my mind if Clinton does a complete 180 and rejects wealthy donors to push a progressive platform, but I'm not holding my breath
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 03:56:27 pm »
I actually wanted to vote Independent, but the GOP is getting so insane, I'd rather do anything to keep more of them out of office.  And while Clinton isn't perfect, if she continues to improve things like Obama did (like the economy), I'll vote for her.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2015, 04:24:23 pm »
I actually wanted to vote Independent, but the GOP is getting so insane, I'd rather do anything to keep more of them out of office.

I would rather do anything to push the Democratic party to the left; if that means progressives have to collectively punish them with unelectability and we suffer a Republican administration, I'm willing to take that risk.

And while Clinton isn't perfect, if she continues to improve things like Obama did (like the economy), I'll vote for her.

The metrics most media outlets use for economic improvement are disproportionately affected by wealth at the top. We're becoming a more unequal society while the rich are getting tremendously richer.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2015, 04:37:58 pm »
Oh please let's have the GOP in charge.  Because that did WONDERS! for the country before!

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2015, 10:21:04 pm »
Quote from: LtFred link=topic=6413wsg26 6254#msg26625 4 dat e=1428914440
What sort of working political system could you devise that would elect an executive?

Can you explain that a bit?

Something else just occurred to me. The whole Hillary '16 thing reminded me of something, some sort of feeling like I've seen this before. Where she was the presumptive nominee, that the party's nomination was hers to lose. Why does that sound familiar?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 10:50:42 pm by rookie »
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2015, 12:16:34 am »
Without putting Lt Fred's view, I think it is the suggestion that the executive, whose role is simply to administer the laws created by the legislature should ideally be part of the legislature and head that legislature. Otherwise you end up having an executive and legislature working against each other.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2015, 08:51:05 am »
Originally, the executive was there to check against the power of the legislative branch, so that the legislative couldn't go bugfuck nuts and make new, retarded laws effectively dragging us all into the Stone Age.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2015, 12:24:54 pm »
I found these articles about her......

Hillary vs. "'Citizens' United"....
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/04/14/hillary-clinton-backs-the-overturning-of-citizens-united-via-constitutional-amendment/

Hillary's Pro-Equal Pay....
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/04/14/sorry-gop-you-wont-find-hypocrisy-here-hillary-walks-the-walk-when-it-comes-to-equal-pay/

Food for thought on Hillary not being Liberal enough and the whole "Warren For POTUS" thing....
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/04/13/progressives-if-you-want-a-democrat-to-win-in-2016-drop-this-non-existent-elizabeth-warren-presidential-campaign/
....which addresses the stuff that Ironchew stated.

Even if Hillary isn't supper-Lefty, a consistent vote of Democratic-everything year after year will eventually drive politics Left-ward. Politics went Right-ward when everybody was voting Republican ad-nauseum, after all.

Instead of chasing the Ideal, go with what you got now....over time, the ideal will come in the future.

And Warren could accomplish much more in Congress. She says it herself and she knows it!

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2015, 08:32:58 pm »
Consider me voting for Hilary, unless someone else pops up that's even better.  That said, I know Warren won't run.  She's effectively told the party reps to fuck off, and that, as was mentioned here earlier in the thread, she feels like she can do more good as she is.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2015, 01:25:37 am »
Voting for Hillary here as well. The GOP will just run things into the ground.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2015, 08:21:30 am »
Aye.  I'll take slow progress to complete ruination.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2015, 10:30:14 am »
I'll vote for Hillary Clinton assuming the 2016 election is still relevant to me.

By which I mean that I'm taking a summer job in Canada this year that I can hopefully turn into something more permanent, and if I'm still living in Canada next year I'm not sure how much the next American election will actually matter to me.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2015, 10:36:53 am »
You can easily get an absentee ballot and mail it in. I haven't voted in a poll booth but once since 2000.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.