Author Topic: A Critique of Religion  (Read 7003 times)

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
Re: A Critique of Religion
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 05:03:23 pm »
Can we please stop using "Religion" when we mean "Fundamentalist Abrahamic"? Let's be honest, pretty much everything being said is aimed down at fundie christians or douches in general.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 06:21:58 pm »
Can we please stop using "Religion" when we mean "Fundamentalist Abrahamic"? Let's be honest, pretty much everything being said is aimed down at fundie christians or douches in general.

This. I don't think religion by itself is evil, it's what people do with it. I think that for any religion that is notorious for fundamentalism and intolerance, it also has the potential for being reinterpreted into a more modern message. For years, Judaism had been extremely conservative and quite ridiculous in its literalism, but over the years as society changed other interpretations and denominations have sprung up that have changed the landscape of the faith quite a bit. The fundies are still there and they can be distressing, but what matters is that it's no longer the only way people interpret its basic message. I think that religion is a part of culture and is reflective of a society's cultural values. As sexism, racism, homophobia, and other forms of bigotry slowly disappear from society, religion will eventually accommodate this change. In fact, it will probably have to, or else it will die out completely, and something else (probably another religion) will take its place.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2012, 10:17:30 am »
Can we please stop using "Religion" when we mean "Fundamentalist Abrahamic"? Let's be honest, pretty much everything being said is aimed down at fundie(s) christians or douches in general.

Hey dude, a religion doesn't have to be Abrahamic to be fundie.  There's a reason the site is named "Fundies Say The Darndest Things" instead of "Christians Say The Darndest Things."

On an unrelated note, we need tags to escape the parsing sequence in text if we don't have them already.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 10:21:43 am by B-Man »
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Rime

• Pope
  • Born too slow
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2012, 10:38:43 am »
I'm going to agree with StarCluster.  It's not religion in and of itself.  Just like sulfuric acid, it can be very helpful and useful.  What tends to go wrong is when a group seeks control and influence over people and attempt to cover up/discredit any and all criticism.  I see this is a large part of my problem with the RCC.

And where are our antitheists?  Someone should be here to tell us that the sooner we do away with religion the better, so we should seek to get rid of it by any means possible.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 01:39:20 pm by Rime »
And when we're done soul searching,
And we carry the weight and die for a cause.
Is misery made beautiful
Right before our eyes.

Mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2012, 10:42:48 am »
Can we please stop using "Religion" when we mean "Fundamentalist Abrahamic"? Let's be honest, pretty much everything being said is aimed down at fundie(s) christians or douches in general.

Hey dude, a religion doesn't have to be Abrahamic to be fundie.  There's a reason the site is named "Fundies Say The Darndest Things" instead of "Christians Say The Darndest Things."

"Abrahamic" means any of the religions descended from Abraham, which means Christianity, Judaism, and Islam, as well as anything branching off them (like Mormonism).

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2012, 10:48:26 am »

"Abrahamic" means any of the religions descended from Abraham, which means Christianity, Judaism, and Islam, as well as anything branching off them (like Mormonism).

Yep.  Still, you just have to be a general fundie to be an asshole.  No religion has a monopoly on such behavior.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2012, 03:02:53 pm »
Religion itself doesn't have a monopoly on the behavior, either.

I've seen plenty of antitheist fundies.  Had one yell at me on, to no one's surprise, DeviantArt.

The antitheists here on the forums, however, are opinionated, but nowhere close to fundies.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2012, 05:42:32 pm »

On an unrelated note, we need tags to escape the parsing sequence in text if we don't have them already.

I'm well aware that other religions exist and can have fundies (Being a Daoist), but most of the criticisms are being aimed at primarily Abrahamic fundies while still using the broad term "Religion".

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2012, 06:07:19 pm »
I'm anti-theist. Religion is bullshit. All of it. In every form. If you want to believe your life or the universe has meaning, fine--it has whatever meaning you personally ascribe to it. And tehre's nothing wrong with that. Your life is special because it's YOURS. Our world is special because it's OURS. The universe is special because we live in it. And that's a good enough 'meaning' to give it. And it doesn't require god to see things that way.

HOWEVER.

Religion isn't the root of all things wrong with the world. And doing away with it won't fix everything. It WILL, however, make people see things in a different way. Without faith to hide behind you suddenly get a very clear picture of people doing absolutely the wrong thing. Without god you have cult leaders simply commanding brainwashed followers, you have people oppressing women and homosexuals and transgender/transexual persons for absolutely no reason at all, you have creepy men marrying young teen girls, and you have people like the Pearls abusing children (and teaching other people to do it) because they are horrible people. You have abuses perpetrated for absolutely positively no reason AT ALL. Not all religion is inherently bad and not all bad people are religious, but if you take god and religion and faith away from them they suddenly lose one of the biggest crutches they have with which to defend their actions.

A world without gods won't be perfect. And if someone is inclined to want to do horrible things they will either do it with some other justification besides religion, or will do it anyway without any justification at all. Some religious people genuinely mean no harm to anyone. But again, those people would probably be nice people with or without god. The world is awesome, you're awesome, life is awesome, it's all wonderful and beautiful and special--so go out and enjoy it while you can, and make it a better place, and at the end of your life you can look back at what you did and know you were good for the sake of being good. I think that's much better than being good because your imaginary friend told you to.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 09:34:40 pm »
Maybe this would be a more accurate critique if I replaced religion with the third definition of dogma?

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2012, 10:12:46 pm »
Yes, that would be better.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 11:33:10 am »
It's not only the Abrahamic religions that have bad aspects(to put it lightly). While I'm not an expert on Hinduism, my understanding of the caste system is that that it was just as oppressive to the lower castes as Abrahamic fundies are to women. I don't know much about Buddhism so I can't say anything about it. There are also plenty of "bad" religions outside of the main five.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2012, 01:02:13 pm »
It's not only the Abrahamic religions that have bad aspects(to put it lightly). While I'm not an expert on Hinduism, my understanding of the caste system is that that it was just as oppressive to the lower castes as Abrahamic fundies are to women. I don't know much about Buddhism so I can't say anything about it. There are also plenty of "bad" religions outside of the main five.

Actually, the caste system is more or less independent of Hinduism.  It's more of a cultural thing than an actual religious thing, from what I understand.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2012, 02:04:56 pm »

Buddhism is much more... Open. Calling it a religion isn't really right, it is closer to a philosophy and doesn't really have any form of dogma. Each sect might create new rules and such, but that can happen with any philosophy or group.

Plus, you have to remember that at the time of their creation, each religion's philosophy might have been radically liberal at the time. So, I don't think it would be correct to call an entire religion "bad", so much as "Parts of its philosophy is out dated".