Author Topic: Two Phelps' leave the family  (Read 5890 times)

Offline rtvc2012

• Pope
Re: Two Phelps' leave the family
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 07:55:30 pm »
I don't take the WBC klan seriously anymore.  They're just a bunch of over the top attention whores, half of which are probably the world's biggest closet cases themselves.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 08:09:00 pm »
I don't take the WBC klan seriously anymore.  They're just a bunch of over the top attention whores, half of which are probably the world's biggest closet cases themselves.

They're a cult that gets their funding by pissing people off and then winning First Amendment lawsuits when people sue them.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 10:33:21 pm »

They're a cult that gets their funding by pissing people off and then winning First Amendment lawsuits when people sue them.

That's what bothers me most about them. If they were just another fringe lunatic cult that upset people, that'd be annoying and unacceptable in regular society, but not so aggressively malevolent. But instead they prey on people at their most vulnerable and attack them where it hurts the most--and then exploit loopholes in the US government to make their victims pay up. It's like poking a pit bull in the face with a garden rake until it bites you, and then exploiting dangerous animal laws to get it put down because it defended itself. It isn't right, even if it's technically strictly speaking following the law.

Anyway. I'm glad the ranks of the WBC is shrinking and what remains is getting steadily older. It just goes to show you that no matter how hard you try and isolate your cult, people will STILL figure out from the inside that it isn't okay and it's not a decent way to live. It also suggests that some kind of morality is innate, because even people from some of the worst circumstances can understand what is and isn't okay to do--which is also, coincidentally, what religious people dread. Because if morality is innate, then what need is there for god?
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 11:15:19 pm »
Actually, if morality is innate, one could take that as evidence for G-d.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 11:53:28 pm »
Actually, if morality is innate, one could take that as evidence for G-d.

I've heard this argument a lot but I have to respectfully disagree with it. What is considered to be "innate morality" in most people is probably a combination of biology and social conditioning. (I think there is a small minority of people who are not born with the same degree of innate morality as the general population - psychopaths and the like - but they are not the focus of this post.) I think that morality is an evolutionary advantage for humans because, for a social species like Homo sapiens, it's healthier to have a revulsion to harming and killing members of one's own circle. These stabler communities are more likely to survive and propagate than the communities that consider killing one's own family to be high entertainment. Of course, this is conjecture, but the important thing is that there are naturalistic explanations for morality that don't necessarily indicate the existence of a higher power. Some people might see the presence of the same basic moral rules in the vast majority of people as evidence of a higher power, but personally I do not.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.