Author Topic: Left-Wing Assholes  (Read 53327 times)

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
Re: Left-Wing Assholes
« Reply #210 on: May 28, 2013, 10:56:11 pm »
Even without the Limbaugh angle, feminazi is already in heavy use by MRA-types and is rather Godwinish*. I think radfem gets the idea across alright without having the hyperbole and negative associations.

*That's totally a word.
Σא

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #211 on: May 29, 2013, 01:08:39 am »
Alright, "RadFem" & "Fauxminist" are both A-OK.

Offline Knight of Liberty

• Neonate
« Reply #212 on: May 29, 2013, 09:25:49 pm »
-Anyone who insists on "USian" instead of "American": This is honestly one of the biggest tempests in a teapot I've ever heard of.  I can't imagine that most, say, Guatemalans, Jamaicans or Venezuelans really care about the USA taking the "American" demonym for itself (not to mention that Canadians typically react...poorly to being so called).  Also, your dislike for how language works is neither my fault nor my responsibility, so stop trying to make it so!

For what it's worth, most South American people I've discussed this with are slightly bothered by "American" being used to mean "citizen of the USA". In fact, the typical term in Spanish for Americans is "estadounidense", which translated literally is something to the effect of "Unitedstatesian".

Not that anyone considers it to be a big deal, as far as I know.

I have heard a few people (mostly commenters on Feministe) insist on USian instead of American, but you're probably right to assert that not may people get hung up on this one–it's simply that the ones that do get on one of my few remaining nerves.  Also, thank you for reminding me about "estadounidense"–it's always healthy to get a reminder about how other cultures do things, even if they don't always directly translate to your own.

-FIRE bashers: Why do people hate on The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education so much?
Because they're a bunch of right-wing assholes?

No, they really aren't.  They've taken plenty of left-leaning and apolitical causes over the years, so if they are a bunch of right-wing assholes, they're doing a terrible job of it (not to mention that I have some news to bring to the attention of Wendy Kaminer and Greg Lukianoff).  Also, neither being right-wing nor being an asshole prevents one from being correct–in fact, your celerity in reaching for name-calling makes me suspect that you have no real arguments and are simply trying to get my goat.

Thebian - A male homosexual. Taken from the terms "Thebes" & "Theban" (In reference to 'The Sacred Band of Thebes'). The distaff counterpart to the feminine term, "Lesbian".

Uh, wouldn't thebian be a sword counterpart to lesbian?

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #213 on: May 29, 2013, 09:29:40 pm »
When I was in Eleventh Grade, I am rather certain I qualified as a "left wing asshole".

Mostly because I still had my earlier Randroid styled "Moral Absolutism". The Wealthy and Right Wing, to me, were not human. They opposed what I considered the acceptable moral system, and thus they deserved desolation.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #214 on: May 29, 2013, 10:38:26 pm »
Also, neither being right-wing nor being an asshole prevents one from being correct...
True, but that does not mean I have to like their organization, especially when I feel they're wrongheaded in many instances. For example, believing that a university should have to fund groups on campus which actively discriminate against members--for example, if a Christian group wished to prohibit LGBT members. Or that a university ought not strip a fraternity of recognition if frat members engage in racist or misogynist behavior. I'm generally pretty liberal on the subject of speech but a university does not have to support hate speech in any official capacity.

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
« Reply #215 on: May 30, 2013, 03:48:34 pm »
I don't know if anyone watches The Young Turks, but sometimes I have to turn Cenk Uygur off.

I'm a big Bill Maher fan, but I will admit he's an assface sometimes.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 03:56:45 pm by clockworkgirl21 »

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #216 on: May 30, 2013, 04:01:13 pm »
I do get annoyed at bith,  They have this odd white liberal thing here they don't really acknowledge privledge.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #217 on: May 30, 2013, 05:12:21 pm »
^^ Agreed. His idealism can be refreshing, but sometimes its overtly unrealistic.

Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
« Reply #218 on: May 30, 2013, 05:25:06 pm »
Who is Bith?

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #219 on: May 30, 2013, 06:18:30 pm »
I meant both.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #220 on: May 31, 2013, 09:51:11 am »
^^ Agreed. His idealism can be refreshing, but sometimes its overtly unrealistic.

Uygur or Maher?

I've seen a few Young Turks videos but I don't watch Bill Maher.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #221 on: July 31, 2013, 01:43:13 am »
I've known some pretty big liberal assholes in my time.  There was one guy I used to work with who was an Anarchist and very left wing but also a giant Truther.  And he lived in a world where anyone who isn't an arachist truther is either a moron or a neocon teabagger.  Most of the coversation i had with him before I learned better went like this:

Him: Obama's just as much of a fascist as Romney is.

Me: Um, Obama's not a fascist.

Him: Yes he is!  If he's not a fascist why did he make Sandy happen with his hurricane machine?

Me: ... Obama doesn't have a hurricane machine.

Him: (dramatically roles eyes) Wow you just believe anything Fox news tells you huh?

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #222 on: July 31, 2013, 03:33:23 am »
Bill Maher is also an anti-vaxxer who doesn't believe in germ theory.

And I dislike Obama too, but for very different, non-fucktarded reasons.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #223 on: July 31, 2013, 02:38:29 pm »
"Opinionated Democrat" on Facebook is anti-Bradley Manning.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #224 on: July 31, 2013, 02:48:00 pm »
There's something fishy about Jack the Monster but I don't want to jump to conclusions, right away.

I nominate "fauxminist".

Me, too!

Y'know? I propose some new terms. I want to make them memetic & enter common parlance.

8) HERE THEY ARE: 8)

Fauxminist - A so-called Feminist who takes it to radical, misandrous extremes. The distaff counterpart to an MRA. A female-supremacist. Someone like the late Valerie Solanis or the weirdos at RadFem Hub.

Tealiban - Another term for that American monolith that consists of The Tea Party, The GOP, The Religious Right, Birthers, Nativists & Right-Wing crazies in general. A portmanteau of "Tea Party" & "Taliban".

Thebian - A male homosexual. Taken from the terms "Thebes" & "Theban" (In reference to 'The Sacred Band of Thebes'). The distaff counterpart to the feminine term, "Lesbian".

Gay - A synonym of "Homosexual" rather than "Male Homosexual".

Satyr - A positive term for a promiscuous male who is ethical & truthful about it rather than a scheming "playa" or PUA.

Nymph - The distaff counterpart to a Satyr. Eschews slut-shaming. Sex-positive. Nymphs, like Satyrs are not to be reviled or shamed.

Rake - A negative, shameful, shaming term for a promiscuous male who is deceptive, dishonest & stupid about his promiscuity. A "playa", "PUA", "cad" or a total doucheface.

Hoe - A distaff counterpart to a Rake. Can also be a gold-digger.

Ethnicism - An alternative to "Racism" because the latter implies that "race" exists. Expands the meaning of "ethnic". "Race" makes it sound like "different species" & that's not the mindset folks should have.

Ethnibigot/Ethnicist - Another term for a "racist". See Ethnicism above.

Rent-A-Guy - A male prostitute. Taken from the British term "Rent-Boy". It further clarifies that it's the person in question being "rented". Rent-Boy to Yanks like myself suggest "a boy who collects rent" whereas "rent-a-guy" implies "a guy you rent (for sex)". I use the term "guy" instead of "boy" to make it less age-specific.

Rent-A-Gal - The distaff to "Rent-A-Guy".

Stepford - A misogynist woman. Believes that women should always be second-banana to men. A gal who believes in strict gender roles. An anti-Feminist female. Taken from the 1972 thriller, The Stepford Wives.

Fetchit - A self-hating black person or a black person who agrees with & sympathizes with the White Male hegemony. Better than "Uncle Tom" because the real Uncle Tom was a hero in Harriet Beecher Stowe's abolitionist novel, Uncle Tom's Cabin. Also better than "Oreo" because "Oreo" implies that 1. Blacks should act like black stereotypes. 2. Whites are evil (which is also ethnicist). 3. "acting Black" & "Acting White" are not stupid concepts (which is stupid). Taken from old time comedic actor & embarrassment to blacks everywhere, Lincoln "Stepin Fetchit" Perry who made a career out of playing a goofy black stereotype (to his defense, he didn't have many options).

What do you think, guys?
Looks good to me, Spuki.

One note about "femininazi" is that Rush just popularized the term. It predates his spewing all over the airwaves to way back in the earliest '70s. Don't know who gets credit for coining the term, but it might have been by a feminist describing ubermilitant feminists of the era.

Thanks. Please spread the word.

I got a few more:

Puritan - A Christian Fundy. Need on be technically a part of the Puritan sect, it's a euphemism.

Wahabi - A Muslim Fundy. See above note on "Puritan".

Haredi - A Jewish Fundy. See above note on "Puritan".

As for the Femnazi thing, not everyone knows that it might pre-date Limbaugh.

However, one can co-opt it for Liberal means in order to mess things up for Rushy-poo.

Of course, "Fauxminist" sounds cool.
Old posts, but fucking love this.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.