Author Topic: Stop Being Stereotypical: A Valid Demand?  (Read 1291 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Stop Being Stereotypical: A Valid Demand?
« on: March 23, 2014, 05:02:54 pm »
Stereotyping is a major problem.  It sets back the idea of seeing certain groups as "people", instead causing certain individuals to see them as caricatures.  It's true that most stereotypes have at least some basis in reality, but that doesn't justify using them in a serious manner.  Even "positive" stereotypes (East Asians being smart, African-Americans being athletic, etc.) hurt people who fail to "live up" to them, and in fact are often a result of bigotry.

However, what if a real person acts in a way that can be considered stereotypical?  Should they be criticized for it?  After considering it, I say that, in most cases, no.  It makes you come off as a hypocrite at best, self-loathing at worst.

For example, here's a quote by Bill Maher on Real Time with Bill Maher:

"New Rule: If Latino immigrants want to be taken seriously, they have to stop wearing the giant hats! The civil rights marchers in the fifties didn't dress like Buckwheat and carry watermelons! You're a proud immigrant demanding his rights! Not the Frito-Bandito!"

Let's ignore the stupidity of Maher telling a group he doesn't belong to how they "should" behave.  Instead, let me point out that this is a classic false equivalence.  No African-American in the history of ever has exclusively eaten watermelons (which in reality, are more of a Dixie thing than a black thing).  The sombrero, however, is a cherished part of Latin American culture.  They're not doing it to be funny or ironic, they're doing it to celebrate their heritage.

We also see certain African-American authority figures criticizing hip-hop culture.  While there are a number of legitimate criticisms one could throw at that subculture (glorification of drug use, misogyny and homophobia, rampant materialism, etc.), they also criticize more harmless parts of it.  These include fashion, dialect, and a number of other superficial things.  It would be like Billy Graham criticizing Texans for saying "y'all" and wearing Stetsons.

Or take the gay rights movement.  I've seen a number of LGBT activists criticize certain gay men for acting "fabulous" and certain lesbians for acting "butch".  Maybe it's just me, but I don't give a damn if a gay man decides to wear sequins or a lesbian decides to shave her head.  It's their right.

And then there's the feminist movement.  In fairness, the vast majority of feminists understand that feminism is all about the right to make choices.  However, there are some who think that a woman acting girly is some kind of betrayal.  Do I even have to explain why that's stupid?

You also see it the other way around.  In some segments of African-American culture, black people are ridiculed for doing things considered to be "acting white".  Sometimes, they're even called "Oreos".  It's almost as if they want to bring back segregation.  You also see certain elements of the gay rights movement criticizing "straight gays" and "lipstick lesbians", accusing them of trying to make themselves more palatable for the mainstream.  Dear God...

Now, there is an exception to this rule: if said stereotype also counts as a character flaw.  It's okay for Jews to criticize other Jews for being avaricious.  It's okay for black people to criticize other black people for being violent.  It's okay for gay people to criticize other gay people for being sexually predatory.  If a Jew embezzles money, if a black man robs a convenience store, or if a gay man is commits sexual harassment, then you have every right to condemn them.  However, it would be just as bad if those crimes were committed by a gentile, or a white man, or a straight guy.

Which brings me to my conclusion: real people are not stereotypes.  Stereotypes are, by definition, shallow.  A real person may engage in some stereotypical behaviors, but they are much more complex than the caricatures you'd see on certain TV shows.  There really is no "correct" way for a member of a certain group to act, except for certain universal rules (don't step on other people's toes, treat others the way you want to be treated, etc.).  There ain't anything wrong with a black guy wearing bling or a lesbian working as a mechanic.  In other words: stereotyping is wrong, but so is complaining about stereotypical traits in real people.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
Re: Stop Being Stereotypical: A Valid Demand?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 06:47:16 pm »

In all seriousness, what is this thread supposed to accomplish?
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 07:22:58 pm »
It's only the social justice crowd that has their heads shoved up their collective ass about stereotypes. Everyone else doesn't give a shit.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 09:04:22 pm »
Ultimate Paragon does bring up some interesting points. Don't know what to think either way. I guess, I'd just respond with "Take the middle road". Stereotypes are stupid but I agree that some folks get too nuts fighting it. It's complicated.