Author Topic: Gamers throw shitfit re: transgender character in Baldur's Gate  (Read 35200 times)

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
Re: Gamers throw shitfit re: transgender character in Baldur's Gate
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2016, 07:59:17 pm »
Either he doesn't read our comments OR he is merely acting like a moron again.

...Honestly, UP is there something wrong with you? I know I already made the joke about you acting as dense as a suspect in court but unless you are doing this on purpose the only other option I can think of is that you are merely skimming a few of our comments and you aren't even looking into any of the topics and merely parroting information that others feed to you.

I'm starting to agree with Queen that there's something extremely fishy about UP getting his ass handed to him while six guests lurk in the background.

Dare I say they're giving him tips and tricks through other channels.

Nah. He's just a very dedicated troll. He has no real personal opinions on any of this. He's just shit posting to get us all riled up. That's all.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2016, 08:43:07 pm »
Either he doesn't read our comments OR he is merely acting like a moron again.

...Honestly, UP is there something wrong with you? I know I already made the joke about you acting as dense as a suspect in court but unless you are doing this on purpose the only other option I can think of is that you are merely skimming a few of our comments and you aren't even looking into any of the topics and merely parroting information that others feed to you.

I'm starting to agree with Queen that there's something extremely fishy about UP getting his ass handed to him while six guests lurk in the background.

Dare I say they're giving him tips and tricks through other channels.

Nah. He's just a very dedicated troll. He has no real personal opinions on any of this. He's just shit posting to get us all riled up. That's all.
As shown by the last six pages of shitposting. The linked article has a video entitled "Baldurs gate misogyny tranny abuse" where the character under discussion is murdered by the party for saying that they're trans. The article also has a bunch of shitposting "reviews" where the readers primary concern was the existence of teh trans "shoving agendas" down their collective maws and he's spent the last couple of hours trying to argue that criticism of the expansion has nothing to do with transphobia, nothing, zip, nada, none.

Putting aside the whole "ethics in reviews thing" where you are at least supposed to play the fucking thing before shooting off your mouth he's developed a whole raft of opinions on how broken and glitchy it taking at their word people who first decided they hated it because of the existence of filthy trans people and then went looking for, or perhaps flat out inventing, other problems.

Why is he getting more contrarian than Contrarian over a bunch of spotty twerps downvoting a game because it has trans in it? IMO it's passive aggressive revenge for FQA not jumping on his two-year crusade to get us all on the GG train.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2016, 08:52:49 pm »
I'm not saying there's no transphobic backlash, I'm just saying it's greatly exaggerated.  The idea that its negative reception is based on transphobia simply doesn't hold water.  Dragon Age: Inquisition also had a trans supporting character, and the game has a much higher user rating on Metacritic.  Fact is, Beamdog made a shitty expansion, and they're trying to blame the gamers for not liking it.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2016, 08:59:21 pm »
I'm not saying there's no transphobic backlash, I'm just saying it's greatly exaggerated.  The idea that its negative reception is based on transphobia simply doesn't hold water.  Dragon Age: Inquisition also had a trans supporting character, and the game has a much higher user rating on Metacritic.  Fact is, Beamdog made a shitty expansion, and they're trying to blame the gamers for not liking it.

You also said 8-Chan being a den of pedos held no water...

Also, Even Then has already destroyed your claim about the backlash not being motivated by transphobia. All you're doing is playing the role of a know-nothing, and come on dude. I assume you're a child, but at least act like a mature high-schooler and recognize when someone present evidence that you don't know what you're talking about.

And much like all those sources that you cite but never read, you're now criticizing a game that you've never played. It's quite comical.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2016, 09:00:41 pm »

Also, Even Then has already destroyed your claim about the backlash not being motivated by transphobia. All you're doing is playing the role of a know-nothing, and come on dude. I assume you're a child, but at least act like a mature high-schooler and recognize when someone present evidence that you don't know what you're talking about.

And much like all those sources that you cite but never read, you're now criticizing a game that you've never played. It's quite comical.

A bunch of cherry-picked reviews represent the entirety of the backlash?  If anybody's the know-nothing, it's you.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2016, 09:02:01 pm »
I am rubber you are glue what bounces off me sticks to you. Na nah

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2016, 09:17:49 pm »

A bunch of cherry-picked reviews represent the entirety of the backlash?  If anybody's the know-nothing, it's you.

Gah, I was set to win this debate, but then you dropped that masterful argument. My plans my be ruined this time, but mark my words, you will rue the day that, like the phoenix from the ashes, I arise and seek revenge for being defeated this time.

(a(g+a)(i+n))

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2016, 10:16:02 pm »
So I missed the may in your statement, Queen, and read it as "My plans be ruined again" and now I can't stop thinking of Harley Quinn in a pirate costume.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2016, 11:10:57 pm »
So I missed the may in your statement, Queen, and read it as "My plans be ruined again" and now I can't stop thinking of Harley Quinn in a pirate costume.

I did make a typo and exclude the "a" in "may," so that is a possible reading of that post (either the inclusion of my was a typo, or the exclusion of the "a"). Either way, a ditzy typo, and I like your interpretation of it more than my initial intention.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2016, 12:42:37 am »
...I had to google "pirate Harley" and I have to admit there are a lot more pictures than I would have assumed. Then again, I didn't remember that there was some "bat-pirate" storyline and Joker (and presumably other Batman villains as well) are also in pirate costumes.

No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2016, 02:00:22 am »
Are you talking about Krem?  Because his reception was mostly positive according to BioWare.

Which only tells me that your ilk is only a vocal minority. A rather relieving fact, actually.

No, I'm referring to your ilk's response to it. They freaked the fuck out, your favorite "ethical journalist" wrote a "review" that I've pointed out to you at least twice and your ilk thought that "review" was absolutely hilarious. Yes, the response was mostly positive, as is the response to this expansion (about 2/3rd positive reviews on Steam, despite your ilk's best efforts), but there was still a vocal minority, and you know exactly who it was, that said exactly the same shit about Dragon Age: Inquisition that they're saying about Dragonspear.

It has been proven that the most vocal dissent towards Dragonspear is in response to the trans character. Are there plenty of people unhappy with it for other reasons? Sure, but they aren't the problem or the subject of discussion. The problem is that transphobic assholes are bitching and moaning about it, regardless of whether or not they actually play the game, and they are the loudest group responding to the expansion.

I pointed out Dragon Age: Inquisition so you would hopefully realize that this idiotic and hateful outrage is nothing out of the ordinary for your ilk. Now, in fairness, the backlash was more due to how the game's press was praising it for its progressive portrayal of LGBT folks, but the point stands.

And to act like a trans character is out of character for Bioware is hilarious. Bioware has included LGBT characters since at least Knights of the Old Republic, or did you forget that Juhani is bisexual?
Who needs a signature?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2016, 02:53:46 am »
And to act like a trans character is out of character for Bioware is hilarious. Bioware has included LGBT characters since at least Knights of the Old Republic, or did you forget that Juhani is bisexual?
I thought she's a lesbian. As I recall, only a female player character can romance her.

Even Then

« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2016, 03:35:38 am »
Oh I know UP isn't going to respond in good faith. He's UP. He's incapable of it. (see: thinking that a person literally asking Beamdog to remove a  transgender character for being offensive is only unconsciously transphobic.) But he's just so inane that he keeps dragging me back in whenever my curiosity compels me to open a comment of his. And ranting at him can pass the time and relieve stress, in limited doses. (It also lets me come up with new and entertaining insults.)

UP: No one here has said that the transphobia is the entirety of it, you cockgrater.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 07:47:46 am by Even Then »

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2016, 03:58:27 am »
I thought she's a lesbian. As I recall, only a female player character can romance her.

Nope. Both male and female Revans can "romance" her, but its implied in all cases that its one sided. Her admitting feelings for Revan is the cap of her arc and there's not really a way to reciprocate feelings.
Who needs a signature?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2016, 04:09:08 am »

Nope. Both male and female Revans can "romance" her, but its implied in all cases that its one sided. Her admitting feelings for Revan is the cap of her arc and there's not really a way to reciprocate feelings.

According to the Wiki, she's a lesbian, and male Revan being able to romance her was a bug that eventually got fixed with a patch.