Author Topic: Gamers throw shitfit re: transgender character in Baldur's Gate  (Read 35211 times)

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
Re: Gamers throw shitfit re: transgender character in Baldur's Gate
« Reply #105 on: April 06, 2016, 11:36:31 am »
I refuse to believe anyone capable of coherent communication is this stupid

I once dared to believe in the Ultimate Paragon: he never came through with that report on Canadian judicial corruption. The moral of the story is, if you're ever tempted to believe in Paragon's intelligence and competence, don't. Just don't. Fuck Nike and "just do it." Don't do it. Just don't.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #106 on: April 06, 2016, 12:37:00 pm »
Remember when he accused me of being intellectually dishonest and couldn't find a single post of me actually doing that?

Ironbite-good times.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #107 on: April 06, 2016, 02:04:38 pm »
So....are the Balders Gate remakes worth buying or not, I don't really wanna read through 8 pages of this shit to see if anybody answered me lol

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2016, 02:12:07 pm »
I have to say I love this as a marketing strategy.

Make a game that's a broken buggy mess, but remember to include a character with a high diversity score.  That way when people turn up with negative reviews of your piece of shit product and you start censoring them you can just call them all bigots and go crying to the media about harassment.

I fucking love how steam enables this shit.

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #109 on: April 06, 2016, 02:29:59 pm »
There are complaints about the upgraded graphics and UI but since the majority of reviews by players are positive there probably are no massive problems in it. More voice for the cast with the speeches now being voiced more than originally (personally I prefer just text mainly. Give a voice to the most important few characters but I can just read text for the random chats. But that's a personal preference since it usually means that there is a lot more chat and chat options in the game when there is no need to voice everything.)

Although there is apparently a bug that automatically changes the difficulty to the easiest one, but I'm not sure if that has been fixed.

Problem is that finding stuff about the game is now hard since all the stories seem to be about this "scandal" rather than proper reviews of the game.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2016, 02:47:24 pm »
UP, at first you claimed that there was no trans phobia in the reviews. Then you made up a number of minimum trans phobic comments that you would require to believe that trans phobia and general opposition to LGBT issues are the main reason against the protest. When examples were provided you claimed the reviews were cherry picked and went on to cherry pick your own reviews. From the start it has been said that Steam, being the only site where only game owners can review, has the least anti-LGBT reviews by virtue of the fact that most of the complainers are not owners and merely wish to wage their war on SJWs or spew their hatred against a fictional trans person by complaining about the game. NOW that you can no longer claim that:

-The game isn't mainly getting negative reviews due to the transperson NPC
-That the aforementioned reviews aren't coming from people who don't even own the game
-That the character isn't just a "tool of a political agenda"

You have been reduced to picking the one site with the fewest protestors and cherry picking people who complain about legitimate issues BUT THIS DOES NOT MAKE THE PROTESTORS DISAPPEAR! No one has claimed that ALL the negative reviews are written by anti-SJW-crusaders or whatever trolls live in the deepest darkest places of the web, just that many of the people who complain about the addon mainly seem to hate the existence of a fictional transperson in the game.

No one has to prove that every player likes the game or that all the complainers simply hate whatshername.

Stop for a moment and read your own posts. Can't you see how dishonest you have been during this debate?

I never claimed that there was no transphobia, just that it was overblown.  The reason I asked for evidence was an attempt at the Socratic method.

And my reviews weren't "cherry-picked," they were on the very first page of the Steam reviews.  That is to say, they were the reviews people found the most helpful.  Check my link if you don't believe me.  Most of the highly-rated negative reviews on Steam that I've read mentioned Mizhena only in passing, if at all.

As for why the response on Steam is different?  Well, you're probably right about it being because you have to own a game to review it, but not for the reasons you think.  Many of the first page reviews have a common theme: don't buy this game until it gets patched.  As a result, people who might otherwise be interested in the game decide to wait.  Meanwhile, people of a certain ideology are buying the expansion out of spite.  How do I know this?  Because Rami Ismail admitted it:

https://twitter.com/tha_rami/status/717459990374653957

http://archive.is/KLOiA

I never played the 1st Baldur's Gate before but I heard it pissing off the right people, so I guess it's likely good, so I'm buying it.

Hope he enjoys the non-functional multiplayer.

And if they're buying it out of spite, why not go one step further and leave a positive review out of spite?  On GOG, I saw a number of obviously agenda-driven positive reviews.  Some even admit to it:

Haven't played it yet, I just bought it to support diverse stories in gaming. I wouldn't have even paid attention to it if there wasn't some hate campaign against it.

Blaming the backlash mainly on transphobia is ridiculous.  Look at the expansion's Metacritic user score compared to that of Dragon Age: Inquisition, another game with a trans character.  The latter got a 7.5.  The former?  3.8.  If it were primarily due to transphobia, you'd expect the scores to be much closer.

Even Then

« Reply #111 on: April 06, 2016, 02:56:01 pm »
Because unsourced quotes are valid evidence when you do it.

No one's been denying that people have been complaining about the mechanics being bugged, cumwad. You're telling us things we already know. What we're against is you taking the non-transphobic comments (which is cherrypicking) and using them to tell us that the transphobia's not that big of a deal.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 02:58:44 pm by Even Then »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #112 on: April 06, 2016, 02:58:33 pm »
Because unsourced quotes are valid evidence when you do it.

Fine:

https://www.gog.com/game/baldurs_gate_siege_of_dragonspear

It's on page 29 of the reviews.  Check it out for yourself.

Even Then

« Reply #113 on: April 06, 2016, 03:02:37 pm »
...fuck it, let's say that's an actual quote because I'll be fucked if I click that far. You're not worth that effort.

To quote myself:

"No one's been denying that people have been complaining about the mechanics being bugged, cumwad. You're telling us things we already know. What we're against is you taking the non-transphobic comments (which is cherrypicking) and using them to tell us that the transphobia and other assorted "muh status quo" are not another notable contributing factor."

I had to dig as far as page 2 on both pages to find that drivel. But please, tell me more about how it's not relevant.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #114 on: April 06, 2016, 03:03:50 pm »
...fuck it, let's say that's an actual quote because I'll be fucked if I click that far. You're not worth that effort.

To quote myself:

"No one's been denying that people have been complaining about the mechanics being bugged, cumwad. You're telling us things we already know. What we're against is you taking the non-transphobic comments (which is cherrypicking) and using them to tell us that the transphobia and other assorted "muh status quo" are not another notable contributing factor."

Interesting.  How do you define "transphobic comments?"

Even Then

« Reply #115 on: April 06, 2016, 03:06:21 pm »
...yeah, no, you're doing this on purpose so you're even less worth my time. This isn't the Socratic method, cockpeeler: this is you being given a writeup, reading it, throwing it into a trash can and then asking me for another writeup. I'm done.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #116 on: April 06, 2016, 03:07:21 pm »
...yeah, no, you're doing this on purpose so you're even less worth my time. This isn't the Socratic method, cockpeeler: this is you being given a writeup, reading it, throwing it into a trash can and then asking me for another writeup. I'm done.

Pardon me for wanting to establish criteria.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #117 on: April 06, 2016, 03:15:27 pm »

To quote myself:

Interesting.  How do you define "transphobic comments?"

This has gone way beyond dishonest debate, UP. Anyone who pursues this line of reasoning only does so because they're a massive dick and they hold the entire forum in contempt.

I've been banned for shit less infuriating than this.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #118 on: April 06, 2016, 03:17:53 pm »

Oh no you don't. You are pretending to be ignorant and ignoring arguments on the basis that we haven't explained what every single word of them means BUT you yourself are exempt from the same rules and you throw in random links and quotes without examining them in the same inane detail.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Vinroke

• Apprentice
« Reply #119 on: April 06, 2016, 03:29:01 pm »

Removes the two most idiotic things I've ever seen in a cRPG.

Requires Siege of Dragonspear Expansion So, the Siege of Dragonspear expansion came out a few days ago. It's pretty "meh" since its a Beamdog original, but once again SJW writers just had to include their propaganda to virtue signal about how tolerant and inclusive they are. And I'm not the only one who's sick of this. Now...

What the mod actually does For lack of a better-working solution (and because I'm a n00b at modding), commenting on how strange Mizhena's name is simply ends dialogue. No special snowflake life story for you, hooray!

One of Minsc's rare "task given" lines has been changed to something else. The devs thought it would be hilarious if they got a jab at GamerGate in the game and have Minsc say it, of all people. Totally not an invitation to respond in some way, and its just sad to defile Minsc to use as their political mouthpiece to express a "take that" to their #1 boogeyman.

No string references are added or replaced for maximum compatibility and simplicity.

Installation Extract the override folder and place the two files in your own override folder of your Siege of Dragonspear installation. The location should look something like this for those who bought it from Beamdog:

Baldur's Gate Siege of Dragonspear\Data\00806\override

What about Beamdog's artistic vision, you hypocritical GooberGrappler!?! LOL OWNED, MISOGYNIST!

Guess every mod that adds more story or quests violates their artistic vision, then. They can do whatever they like, they don't have to change anything for anyone. But I can, and that's the difference.

Soo... the problem isn't the inclusion of a Trans character with an optional line of dialogue, it's about bad writing. The bad writing this mod removes that was said line of dialogue. But the problem isn't with the Trans character. Which the mod removes..

does KiddiesInAction have any semblance of self-awareness?

Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes
Machina improba! Vel mihi ede potum vel mihi redde nummos meos!