Author Topic: Who do you think was behind the Boston attacks?  (Read 12837 times)

Offline rtvc2012

• Pope
Who do you think was behind the Boston attacks?
« on: April 16, 2013, 07:26:55 pm »
Was it Al-Qaeda, right-wing extremists, or just a random lone wolf?  My guess is that it was done by someone similar to Eric Rudolf.  This attack is extremely similar to the 96 Atlanta bombing - hundreds of injuries but only a handful of deaths, and it took place at a sporting event.  I doubt it was Al-Qaeda, since I'd assume they would've tried something more grandiose.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
Re: Who do you think was behind the Boston attacks?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 07:29:45 pm »
like I said in the other bombing thread... I'm hoping it was just a couple random fucknuggets that snapped.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 07:31:25 pm »
Someone made a comment that tend to agree with. If this was Al Qaeda, they would have taken credit by now.

If I had to make a bet, I would guess this is domestic. However, it's too early and there's too little information to do more than guess.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

QueenofHearts

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 07:42:26 pm »
If I had to make a bet, I would guess this is domestic. However, it's too early and there's too little information to do more than guess.

This

Yesterday I was thinking for the better part of  the day "I bet it's some nutbar teabagger" before realizing how much of a frothing lunatic I would look like if it wasn't. Not to mention how much of an ideological hack I'd be. It's not exactly our job to speculate nor should we because then it may become us ascribing horrible positions to those we don't like, thus politicizing this tragedy. The police (local and federal) are on the case and I can only hope we know the responsible party soon enough.

That said, I do think it was some body who acted alone and somebody domestic.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 07:42:31 pm »
I also agree that it's probably not Al Qaeda or a group like that, because I feel it would have been bigger and they would have taken credit for it.  My money is completely on domestic terrorism.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 07:47:51 pm »
-White Male in his 20s to 30s.
-Political attack, likely in retalitation for perceived failed adminstration in prior event(s)
-Religion will either be catholic or freemason (however if some form of "manifesto" is released, will have parts that contradict teaches of said religion)
-A message or "manifesto" will likely be released within 3 weeks if there is one.
-Likely already left Boston, probably out of the state already.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 08:13:06 pm »
If I was going for a symbolic meaning behind Boston and Tax Day, the term "Tea Party" would come to mind.

I agree it was probably domestic. It's extremely unlikely to be an organized effort by a group of people; probably an individual extremist. The symbolism suggests a right-wing extremist, but it could be someone who was just insane too.

Offline Itachirumon

• The Buzzing Digital Uke
  • Pope
  • The Highly-Caffinated Borderline Insane Uke
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 08:16:53 pm »

This

Yesterday I was thinking for the better part of  the day "I bet it's some nutbar teabagger" before realizing how much of a frothing lunatic I would look like if it wasn't. Not to mention how much of an ideological hack I'd be. It's not exactly our job to speculate nor should we because then it may become us ascribing horrible positions to those we don't like, thus politicizing this tragedy. The police (local and federal) are on the case and I can only hope we know the responsible party soon enough.

That said, I do think it was some body who acted alone and somebody domestic.

While it might not be a tea partier, someone on here got me thinking that it might be similar to that guy who tried to kill IRS agents a few years ago.
--Patriot Day (uniquely celebrated in Boston)
--Tax Day (they fell on the same day this year)
--Congress is debating tighter gun restrictions

These three things suggest to me that a "Tea Party Type" (although 'not' necessarily someone who IDs with the TP themselves - I'm using it as more of a lazy identifier) might have been behind this. Of course that's speculation and we need more concrete proof but the collusion suggests to me that this was a lone nutter, or if he had help, a very small group of crazies, who styled themselves as "good patriots" (ala the tea party - hence the lazy identifier) who were resisting a tyrannical government and staged an event as some wackadoo form of protest.

Also, and this just came to me, if you wanna get a 'bit' more conspiratorial, it's possible that while frothingly crazypants, at least one of them was smart (or maybe stupid) enough to realize a massive portion of the country 'would' try to "Blame the Arab" or "Blame the North Korean" with the latter being more likely.. since even highly intelligent people like my mom were asking "I wonder if it's North Korea" before agreeing how impossible that'd be when I explained how difficult it would be for a national to get into the US, plant bombs, and detonate them without getting caught, with how many eyes we have on NK right now.

No, there needs to be more evidence before anything concrete can be claimed... but as far as Sherlock-y speculation goes.. anti-government nutter, anti-gun nutter, or regular nutter, working either alone or in a small group. IANACP
"Sleep is for the weak
Caffeine is my sacrament
Are those spiders real?"

I do NOT have a dubious relationship to sleep. We had a perfectly ambicable seperation

Ask me about the knife in your back!

When I die, they should process my blood into an energy drink - it'll be called Vampiric, and one dose will cause diabetes... Also, you might see noises.

"No.. can't eat... I'm fucking my catboy"

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 08:18:50 pm »
I'm going to say it was a domestic attack, if it was Al-Qaeda, they would've flaunted their dick by now. I'll take random fucknugget for 100 Alex.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 08:20:45 pm »
The perpetrators are almost certainly US citizens. They could be right-wing extremists, or radicalized Muslims.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Distind

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 08:36:56 pm »
The lack of flaunting makes me figure it's a domestic concern. As for the rest, I'm pretty fucking baffled, there are far more significant events for your typical extremist to hit. Unless we've got a lard liberation front striking against health and fitness, which I wouldn't entirely put past this country.

Dude saying it has to be international just because someone knew what they were doing making 2 of the 4 devices is full of shit. Anyone who's watched an action movie in the last two decades could probably come up with reasonably effective bomb designs, without going into the movies that actually go into pretty nasty detail with them.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 08:40:18 pm »
From what I heard Left wing or Islamic terrorists usually take credit for their acts, but Right wing terrorists usually don't. I don't think a libertarian would attack civilians participating in a race though. It's possible it was just done by a sick person who wants people dead.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 08:56:27 pm »
I feel like it was someone who snapped. I don't think it's the same as a school shooter type of "snap" though, since those generally want to watch their victims panic.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 11:29:44 pm »
The lack of flaunting makes me figure it's a domestic concern. As for the rest, I'm pretty fucking baffled, there are far more significant events for your typical extremist to hit. Unless we've got a lard liberation front striking against health and fitness, which I wouldn't entirely put past this country.

I want to refute this.

I want to refute this.

._.

But I can't.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 11:53:42 pm »
Something that you all might also want to think about is that Tax Day/Patriots Day is pretty much unknown outside the US:  The Boston Marathon is known about, but isn't seen as that big a deal (compared to say, the New York Marathon). 

Boston itself?  I can't say, but from what I know of terrorists, they tend to strike at targets that have a symbolic value - hence the buses and the underground on 7/7, or the 9/11 attacks that were aimed at buildings that were symbols of the US.  If Al-Qaeda wanted a sporting symbol, I think they would have more likely gone for something like the Super Bowl.

Therefore, I can only assume it would be a domestic terrorist group, possibly a right-wing group, possibly one that opposes integrated sporting events, however, the targeting of the crowd has the hallmarks of Eric Rudolph, so I'd say it was a right wing group or nutjob.
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!