Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1511298 times)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #2400 on: May 03, 2013, 03:07:46 pm »
Apparently Fallout 1,2 and Tactics along with every Star Wars game is on sale on steam today.

Does Fallout 1 and 2 have the same problems as 3 does with Windows 7?

Is Battlefront 2 worth buying?

Not that I know of, when it comes to Fallout.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #2401 on: May 03, 2013, 03:14:23 pm »
While I enjoy NHL 11's Be a Pro Mode, feel like being at work at times, when I feel like I'm getting blamed for everything.  Crossing the line without the puck?  I get blamed for Offsides.  If I pass the puck to a teammate and he skates behind the line, I get blamed for offsides.  I'm already behind the line and my teammate passes the puck to me?  I still get blamed for Offsides.

If I'm the goalie and an opponent scores on me, I get blamed for allowing the goal.  If I'm a skater and an opponent scores on the goalie, I still get blamed for allowing a goal.  And if I'm either a goalie or skater and my own teammate shoots the puck into our own goal (It's happened several times), yep, full blame goes to me.

In one game, I got so frustrated, I spent the entire time picking fights and hitting people.  I spent about 50 out of the 60 minutes of game time in the penalty box.  Ironically though, I was commended for picking fights and hitting people at just the right time.

Welcome to the NHL, we like to assign blame everywhere we can.

I'm beginning to see that.

Battlefront 2 may possible be the best Star Wars game of all time, barring RPGs which are inherently more subjective anyways.

I've always liked the first one better, mostly because I dislike the change they made to the Darktrooper's weapon, not to mention getting, "Press X to play as Jedi," appearing over and over again.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline FirsthandTuna

• Pope
« Reply #2402 on: May 03, 2013, 05:23:27 pm »
Apparently Fallout 1,2 and Tactics along with every Star Wars game is on sale on steam today.

Is Battlefront 2 worth buying?

Fallout 1 and 2 do have a problem with higher resolutions where the color will be distorted. There's a fix for it here. If that doesn't work, try making a script that closes explorer when you launch the game:

taskkill /F /IM Explorer.exe
[whatever your fallout launcher is, I don't have it installed to check. For example, fallout.exe]
Start explorer.exe
"Fraudulent ONEness of religious academia has retarded your opposite rationale brain to a half brain slave." - The Wisest Man Who Ever Lived

Distind

« Reply #2403 on: May 03, 2013, 05:23:51 pm »
Not the same problems, but you're going to have to mod it to get the nicest experience out of it.

That said, I believe gog's version is pre-patched and non sucky, or you can get the new CD versions floating around that have the same patching.  There's like 3 different versions all requiring different tweaks(or working out of the box) floating around. But they all CAN work with windows 7. It's just a matter of getting it there. Looks like it's not a huge problem with the steam version, but check out this before you buy it:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/38400/discussions/0/810919057004088388/

Offline FirsthandTuna

• Pope
« Reply #2404 on: May 03, 2013, 05:28:21 pm »
Not the same problems, but you're going to have to mod it to get the nicest experience out of it.

That said, I believe gog's version is pre-patched and non sucky, or you can get the new CD versions floating around that have the same patching.  There's like 3 different versions all requiring different tweaks(or working out of the box) floating around. But they all CAN work with windows 7. It's just a matter of getting it there. Looks like it's not a huge problem with the steam version, but check out this before you buy it:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/38400/discussions/0/810919057004088388/

I'd recommend getting it on gog. Not only will it work on modern systems with little to no effort, they also keep it up-to-date. Even with the fixes for Fallout 1 and 2 there are problems like screen flickering on the Steam version.
"Fraudulent ONEness of religious academia has retarded your opposite rationale brain to a half brain slave." - The Wisest Man Who Ever Lived

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2405 on: May 03, 2013, 06:27:30 pm »
I've played Star Wars Battlefront 2 on the PS2 and I'd definitely say it's worth buying the PC version, assuming that there are no problems inherent to the PC version (might be worth a look before buying)

It's basically like a third person shooter version of TFC.  With space battles.  Glorious space battles.  MAGNIFICENT space battles.

Oh and you're expected to change classes to suit your needs, and you even have to unlock classes.  At least in single player.

I know that in multiplayer there are also class quotas on some classes (so more than x amount of people can't be x class)

Battlefront 2 may possible be the best Star Wars game of all time, barring RPGs which are inherently more subjective anyways.

I used to play it regularly on the PC, before I switched computers and lost the CD key (this was before I entered the world of The Pirate's Bay, so I figured I was screwed). I'm not sure how often it's played nowadays, but the multiplayer was great fun and there are servers that exclusively play Mos Eisley with all hero characters (like Darth Maul, Han Solo, and The Emperor).

Just don't play single player except as basic practice, though. It's not as fun.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
Grimdark Zelda mod is grimdark and epic.
« Reply #2406 on: May 03, 2013, 11:51:09 pm »
Hyrule: Total War is a conversion for Medieval 2: Total War. A vast majority of the iconic races from the Zelda universe have been represented as armies that the player can assemble, command, and ultimately use to destroy their enemies. The Hero of Time has chosen to return to the past, a choice that ultimately has ruined the charts of history and sent Hyrule into chaos. Major wars that were already decided have unmade themselves, allowing fallen armies a second chance at these critical events in Hyrule's history. This is where you, the player, comes in.

AKA Link royally shits the bed by trying to regain his childhood and things get all Warhammery. Obligatory TV Tropes page.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB4Et3Dmdlc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB4Et3Dmdlc</a>
#Invalid YouTube Link#
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MgDYgwkQMU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MgDYgwkQMU</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfhy7B8mSlM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfhy7B8mSlM</a>

Fun fact: there are armies of Technicolor Navi, annoying fuckhuge armies in fact. They also kill via color and it buuurrrnnnssss.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #2407 on: May 04, 2013, 12:36:30 am »
That is bizarre. I don't know what to think of it, honestly.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #2408 on: May 04, 2013, 01:10:46 am »
I will forever prefer the Stainless Steel mod for Medieval Total War 2.
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #2409 on: May 04, 2013, 05:35:17 am »
Guess which mod is going to receive a cease and desist order very soon.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2410 on: May 04, 2013, 05:39:28 am »
It's already out, so it'll probably go the way of the Lord of the Rings mod.

Saturn500

« Reply #2411 on: May 04, 2013, 06:27:49 am »
That mod looks stupid. Both in a good way, and a "Way too grimdark" way.

So, it's like Warhammer.
-----------------------------------------------------

Oh, hey, the demo for Kamui, one of the games in the ALLTYNEX trilogy, is out! It's awesome!

It's the first two stages. It's kinda like Rayforce (if you've heard of that).
-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, hey, C-Rush, another shmup on Steam Greenlight, has a demo now! It's awful! And it might contain ransomware!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 11:51:02 am by Saturn500 »

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2412 on: May 04, 2013, 11:08:06 am »

Doubtful. Mods for various other IPs are extremely popular, probably one of the biggest sections of the modding community. It falls into the gray area of fair use, so any company trying to incite a legal battle only has its own empty threats and the fear of the modders (or unwillingness to pay for a legal campaign) to get them to stop. If it actually went to court, the aforementioned company would likely end up with egg on their face and a loss on their record. Even if they could get a win, it would be counterproductive due to looking stereotypically evil to their market and everyone willing to work with them as well as wasting time and money on something that doesn't actually affect their copy protection at all; AMC loses no profit from someone making a Walking Dead content pack for Fallout: New Vegas. It would be a 100% fruitless endeavor.

That's why cease and desist orders for modders using other IPs are extremely rare, and I haven't seen any that actually went beyond a company making empty threats and the an ignorant modder panicking and shutting everything down because they don't realize that there's no case that can be brought against them.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2413 on: May 04, 2013, 04:05:27 pm »
Blood Dragon is the most self aware thing ever. 

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2414 on: May 04, 2013, 04:05:41 pm »
Do you know how many copy-right shattering mods there on in Fallout?  Skyrim?  Hundreds.  Know how many of those get taken down?  None.  Why?  Nobody is selling these mods.

Ironbite-fair use is fun.