Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1511077 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #2415 on: May 04, 2013, 04:33:04 pm »
Come to think of it, the ONLY time I can remember where a mod or independent game had content changed was the Goonstation version of Space Station 13. The code comes standard with Xenomorphs (along with various other stuff, like RIGs from Dead Space that are occasionally renamed "hardsuits" but still have the look), but apparently they got a legal threat and the coders panicked and removed all Aliens content. Everything else remains, of course. Despite this, even the /tg/station folks refuse to add new IP material (like SHODAN and XERXES faces for the AI) because of a stated fear of copyright infringement....while leaving Dead Space hardsuits and plasma cutters in the game and still keeping their aliens.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2416 on: May 04, 2013, 05:31:52 pm »
This LOTR mod got taken down.  Some games encourage copy right infirngement cough scribblenauts*

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2417 on: May 04, 2013, 11:27:40 pm »
Do you know how many copy-right shattering mods there on in Fallout?  Skyrim?  Hundreds.  Know how many of those get taken down?  None.  Why?  Nobody is selling these mods.

Ironbite-fair use is fun.
The Lord of the Rings conversion mod for Skyrim got a cease and desist. Largely because unlike most other mods, the copyright holders actually managed to catch it before it was finished and released.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2418 on: May 04, 2013, 11:37:55 pm »
Lord of the Rings will probably slap down more mods based off of it due to how stingy the rights holders are.  Which is fair it is their copyright and all that.  But it does stink they're so stingy that way.

Ironbite-but hey, there's a ton of other great mods out there so it's not big loss.,

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2419 on: May 05, 2013, 01:06:27 am »
Lord of the Rings will probably slap down more mods based off of it due to how stingy the rights holders are.  Which is fair it is their copyright and all that.  But it does stink they're so stingy that way.

Ironbite-but hey, there's a ton of other great mods out there so it's not big loss.,

It's still mostly an empty threat, one that relies on the modding team being too scared to consider the legal situation or too unwilling to face a legal battle if it came to that. Just about any judge would consider a game mod to fall under fair use, and the negative publicity of taking someone to court over a mod on the basis of copyright infringement would be astounding. Contrary to popular belief, there IS such a thing as bad publicity.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #2420 on: May 05, 2013, 01:16:27 am »
I now have a grey jedi playing SWTOR.

My computer can barely handle the game. *sob*

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #2421 on: May 05, 2013, 03:13:51 pm »

I decided to invert the roles with my characters for SWTOR.

I'm currently playing honorable Sith Warrior.

After that I'll play scumbag Jedi Knight.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #2422 on: May 05, 2013, 03:42:39 pm »
I've been wondering if I should get Dishonored. I love stealth, although I don't know how much the game encourages stealth versus killing sprees. Any opinions?
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #2423 on: May 05, 2013, 04:46:31 pm »
I've been wondering if I should get Dishonored. I love stealth, although I don't know how much the game encourages stealth versus killing sprees. Any opinions?
Either stealth or killing sprees are viable choices. Just install the patches or else bugs will ruin your Thiefgasm.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woPFgpqtrvI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woPFgpqtrvI</a>
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 04:51:02 pm by The Illusive Man »
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2424 on: May 05, 2013, 05:35:41 pm »

Nerd³ on Youtube has a pair of videos on Dishonored, showing the same mission (one shown in the previews, where you need to infiltrate a masquerade party, ID a particular noblewoman, and dispose of her) with both pacifist stealth and rampaging, violent methods of completion. Both are perfectly viable, with the violent route (simply charging in and killing everything in your path) taking longer than the pacifist stealth route (sneaking around, knocking people unconscious, and engaging in dialogue) but being more difficult to avoid death. It takes a good player to be a rampaging action movie hero, but you can totally do it and have a fun time with it.

Also, the game makes a note of not only stealth vs. violence, but also pacifism vs. murder. It's possible to have any permutation, so you can be a stealthy killer or a loud showoff who only knocks people unconscious and never lays a finger on anyone unnecessarily.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #2425 on: May 05, 2013, 05:47:49 pm »

I decided to invert the roles with my characters for SWTOR.

I'm currently playing honorable Sith Warrior.

After that I'll play scumbag Jedi Knight.

Well like I said I'm playing grey jedi. She walks the balance between light and dark side but she's a massive sarcastic bitch.

My fully dark side version of her will be played later on when I get more comfortable and she'll basically still be sarcastic. But will have the dark side corruption and everything else.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #2426 on: May 05, 2013, 06:03:01 pm »
I talked about this game in the IRC a month or two back but I just found a video that truely shows how terrible a game Scarlet Blade is:

(semi-nsfw)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpwBG2Dtpmk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpwBG2Dtpmk</a>

Scarlet Blade makes Tera's female armor look like double layer armor.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 06:13:22 pm by syaoranvee »

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2427 on: May 05, 2013, 07:49:55 pm »
I got Tomb Raider for my birthday but I agreed to not download it till June 15th you know how the steam sales

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2428 on: May 05, 2013, 08:51:06 pm »
So I was thinking of getting a Steam prepaid card next week to celebrate me moving on from the 10th grade any suggestions on what games I should get with the extra $50 in my Steam wallet?

Saturn500

« Reply #2429 on: May 05, 2013, 08:53:18 pm »
HITOGATA HAPPA HITOGATA HAPPA HITOGATA HAPPA HITOGATA HAPPA HITOGATA HAPPA HITOGATA HAPPA HITOGATA HAPPA HITOGATA HAPPA HITOGATA HAPPA HITOGATA HAPPA HITOGATA HAPPA HITOGATA HAPPA HITOGATA HAPPA HITOGATA HAPPA HITOGATA HAPPA HITOGATA HAPPA HITOGATA HAPPA HITOGATA HAPPA HITOGATA HAPPA HITOGATA HAPPA HITOGATA HAPPA HITOGATA HAPPA

Also, the Ys games. Not to mention Monaco. And La-Mulana. And Recettear.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 08:58:28 pm by Saturn500 »