Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1508161 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #3090 on: August 11, 2013, 09:37:24 pm »
I feel guilty when i just blast my way through levels in stealth games, hitman, deux ex, splinter cell. I know they are genuine options but i feel like such a bastard XD

Same here. I've beaten Dishonoured quite a few times, and not once have I just blasted my way through the enemies. It just feels like a lazy and crude way to go about the game, especially when there are so many different stealthy approaches to take.

I've been caught a few times in a situation where I need to fight my way out, as even upgraded mid-game Corvo isn't that tough or fast. I once got killed because not only was I cornered, but they physically boxed me in so I couldn't blink out. The fact that you have to essentially fight like real life (no specific "counter" button, no warning someone's attacking other than actually seeing them swinging, surrounded by enemies who attack you all simultaneously, etc.) means that unless you're very good and clever, you're doomed.

Usually my preferred escape is to just sprint away, slamming doors behind me and dropping springrazors or throwing grenades at my pursuers.

Speaking of stealth, one thing I adore in Hitman: Absolution is how the stealth meshes with the gunplay. Enemies remember your last position (like in Splinter Cell: Conviction, but without the marker showing your last know position), so they suppress and flank the spot where you used to be if you manage to sneak away from their fire. It's surprisingly easy to mix stealth and shooting together by sneaking around, firing a few shots, and slipping away while they keep shooting into an empty room. At least until they charge in and find that you're missing, at which point they spread out and start casing the area.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #3091 on: August 12, 2013, 02:03:51 am »
Oh God, that was hilarious. I laughed out loud at Hitman.

I'm on the Waikiki Inn mission, where you're fighting The Saints. When you reach the second pair of targets (the Serbian sisters), the first one is talking to an agent about how they can't raise Saints Team One (as you've already killed them). I snuck up to the opposite side of the bar from the two, and for dramatic irony I waited until she said to let her know "the instant you make contact" before grabbing her, dragging her over the bar, and snapping her neck.

The guy next to her casually turns around and says "Hey....where'd you go?" looking around in confusion.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #3092 on: August 12, 2013, 05:53:45 am »
I've been on Second Life with this group from /mlp/ for a little over 2 months now, we now own 4 parcels of land of a 9 parcel estate and I figure I'd show off the parcel I personally own:

Estate Shot
Here you can see both my land and the group house. My parcel land is the one in the corner.  At this point we own all of the parcel land on this side of the lake besides the forest field one next to mine.

Parcel Shot 1
Parcel Shot 2

Here's the overshot of my parcel, at the moment I allow four other people to live here from the group (two live in a single house together).  Most people would charge Linden to do that but I let them stay for free.  The parcel has a cost of 1250 Linden/4.94 Dollars a week. The back house is mine and there's a forest as well.

Forest Shot 1
Forest Shot 2
Forest Shot 3

At the moment I have set to where it's raining, we have a small lagoon in the back connected the ocean called The Campsite.  Nearby is a small pond filled with various creatures.

Center Shot 1
Center Shot 2

Center of the parcel is filled with a field of bright purple flowers and has the pavilion teleporter which was put in by request.  It allows anything connected to other types of teleporters to travel to it, someone wanted it for their TARDIS to be able to pinpoint back home.

Inside Shot 1
Inside Shot 2
Inside Shot 3
Inside Shot 4

Here's the inside of my house, I'll leave the horror of the upstairs alone.  The portraits on the wall automatically change pictures every 20 seconds.  It was around the time in which most of us go to sleep and the rest watch things on the internet tv.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 06:11:29 am by syaoranvee »

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #3093 on: August 12, 2013, 02:50:29 pm »
Well I finished KH3D....and God do I have a headache, the plot's managed to get even more entangled, but in some twisted way, some things make more sense. Next game's got a lot of plot threads to wrap up and a massive final battle.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #3094 on: August 12, 2013, 02:59:00 pm »
I hated 3d for the story

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #3095 on: August 12, 2013, 03:12:54 pm »
Oh God, that was hilarious. I laughed out loud at Hitman.

I'm on the Waikiki Inn mission, where you're fighting The Saints. When you reach the second pair of targets (the Serbian sisters), the first one is talking to an agent about how they can't raise Saints Team One (as you've already killed them). I snuck up to the opposite side of the bar from the two, and for dramatic irony I waited until she said to let her know "the instant you make contact" before grabbing her, dragging her over the bar, and snapping her neck.

The guy next to her casually turns around and says "Hey....where'd you go?" looking around in confusion.

Sounds like a nice kill.  I always screw that level up, mostly because I'll be trying to pick the lock when the guard will see me at the VERY LAST MOMENT!  One time, my score even appeared on the screen and just as I was getting ready to exit, a guard spotted me.  I wish they'd let you escape, even if you're spotted.  I'd take a small drop in points over a 10-minute shoot-out that ended in frustration and my death, followed by lots of cursing and nearly another controller 'falling.'
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3096 on: August 12, 2013, 05:25:03 pm »
Well I finished KH3D....and God do I have a headache, the plot's managed to get even more entangled, but in some twisted way, some things make more sense. Next game's got a lot of plot threads to wrap up and a massive final battle.

KH3D was where the plot threads being tangled together started to resemble threads being knitted into a sweater.

(Since knitting is intentionally tangling thread together in specific patterns :D)
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3097 on: August 12, 2013, 05:28:04 pm »

Yeah Dream Drop Distance really sets up where everything's going but....jesus.

Ironbite-still a mess.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3098 on: August 12, 2013, 05:38:09 pm »
KH3 will hopefully fix the rest of the mess.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3099 on: August 12, 2013, 08:34:34 pm »
Just saw some of the videos floating about for Hotline Miami 2, and all I have is one word: WANT!
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3100 on: August 13, 2013, 05:51:47 am »
You know what's barrels of fun? Elerium shortages. Now I can't replace my hover tank, or get more flying armour, or get a decent level of interceptor coverage.

Also, crysalids can eat a thousand dicks. Seriously, fuck those guys.

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #3101 on: August 13, 2013, 07:54:51 am »

Yeah Dream Drop Distance really sets up where everything's going but....jesus.

Ironbite-still a mess.

I just want to know how they get trippier than dreams and memories...though the main games are usually a tad less trippy than the side games.

Though we all know they'll try a KH4 at some point...kinda dreading how that will work.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3102 on: August 13, 2013, 08:13:55 am »
I dunno, I almost get the feeling that KH3 is basically going to wrap up the series.

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #3103 on: August 13, 2013, 06:05:47 pm »
I dunno, I almost get the feeling that KH3 is basically going to wrap up the series.

Oh I know. But this is SE and Disney, current masters of milking the cow, then making burgers out of it and selling the hide as leather. Unless they can find more sidestories to squeeze in.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3104 on: August 13, 2013, 09:35:12 pm »

Oh I know. But this is SE and Disney, current masters of milking the cow, then making burgers out of it and selling the hide as leather. Unless they can find more sidestories to squeeze in.

And let's not forget alternate timelines or universes.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.