Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1507257 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #3195 on: August 22, 2013, 05:31:57 pm »
Right, I was referring more generally to the whole "Completing a bitch of a level gives you satisfaction."

I just don't get it, really.  It seems to be a common trend on the internet to value challenge and stuff, but I don't take frustration very well.  I get, well, FRUSTRATED.  So when I'm past the thing that frustrates me, I don't feel satisfaction, just a very angry relief.

And then a tendency to never play that part of the game again if I can help it.

Of course, some people would call me a "casual" over that :/

get on my lvl pleb, go back to ur barbie games lol rekt, filthy casual

The sad thing is, someone once accused me of being a casual because I actually enjoy Skyrim.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #3196 on: August 22, 2013, 06:49:35 pm »
What's wrong with being a casual gamer?
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
« Reply #3197 on: August 22, 2013, 07:10:28 pm »
It's just pretentious asshats being pretentious asshats.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3198 on: August 22, 2013, 07:27:18 pm »

Filthy casuals are degrading the industry and ruining our nostalgia!  RAWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3199 on: August 22, 2013, 08:21:55 pm »
^^ Pimp.

Meanwhile, aboard the Third Street Saints spacecraft:

(click to show/hide)

Edit: Shaney, we should totally play this together on co-op some time.

Lmfao I love the picture.

And yes'm, we definitely should! If you have it on 360, hopefully. Since I didn't get it on PS3. I might later.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3200 on: August 22, 2013, 08:27:44 pm »

Genuinely nothing.  Problem is, the term carries with it certain connotations of, well... it'd be difficult for me to explain, but "casual" is pretty much the Dinkelburg that people cry when a game doesn't match their tastes 100%.

They complain that the video game industry is being ruined because it's "catering to casual gamers" (as Ravynous just mocked) and absolutely hate the idea of a game including an optional mode that might make it more available to the common person (See: People who were raging at a rumor that difficulty levels might be added to Dark Souls 2)

As my signature puts it, "they want to be an exclusive club while simultaneously demanding public acceptance."  They want all of the benefits of being part of the mainstream without actually being part of the mainstream.

I generally hate these kinds of gamers more than I hate twihards, people obsessed with Justin Bieber, and so forth.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #3201 on: August 22, 2013, 08:47:58 pm »
Nothing seems to beat the gaming community in terms of pure suck
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #3202 on: August 22, 2013, 08:51:03 pm »
*casually pre-orders GTA V*
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #3203 on: August 22, 2013, 08:53:18 pm »
Yeah, what Magus said. They basically want to be revered, treated like some sort of superior being. That's the reason they don't want the gaming industry and community to be more inclusive, because then they don't feel special.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #3204 on: August 22, 2013, 10:20:03 pm »
And yes'm, we definitely should! If you have it on 360, hopefully. Since I didn't get it on PS3. I might later.

Ah. I have it on PC, not console. :\

[snip]

Yeah, I've had the odd person act like an ass just because I tend to be more of a casual gamer. Elitism is incredibly lame. So sorry that I prefer to enjoy myself over being incredibly frustrated and feeling like crap when I can't beat something.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #3205 on: August 22, 2013, 11:48:57 pm »
Elder Scrolls Online will be subscription based.

In fact, most of the big title MMO games coming out soon will be sub based. FFXIV: A Realm Reborn, Camelot Unchained, Wildstar, Star Citizen...

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #3206 on: August 22, 2013, 11:50:51 pm »
Elder Scrolls Online will be subscription based.

That just killed whatever tiny amount of interest I might have had in that game.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #3207 on: August 23, 2013, 02:17:07 am »
My interest in it was middling. I played The Elder Scrolls games precisely because they didn't play like a lot of typical fantasy adventure games. I have very little interest in typical pseudo-medieval fantasy settings in the first place and I tend toward the Fallout side of RPGs, so there are many games that I just don't want to touch. The Elder Scrolls, on the other hand, is a real time first person (really, who actually plays in third person?) action game where reflexes and personal skill matter more than numbers and you can grab anything that's not tied down. I also really love the graphics and general aesthetics of Skyrim.

Also, I love how in the Quakecon gameplay video, the crowd cheered when it was confirmed that a form of fast travel would be in it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 02:22:06 am by chitoryu12 »
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #3208 on: August 23, 2013, 02:23:52 am »
My interest in it was low. I played The Elder Scrolls games precisely because they didn't play like a lot of typical fantasy adventure games. I have very little interest in typical pseudo-medieval fantasy settings in the first place and I tend toward the Fallout side of RPGs, so there are many games that I just don't want to touch. The Elder Scrolls, on the other hand, is a real time first person (really, who actually plays in third person?) action game where reflexes and personal skill matter more than numbers and you can grab anything that's not tied down. I also really love the graphics and general aesthetics of Skyrim.

Exactly. But not only this, what I liked about the Elder Scrolls games was that it's not multiplayer. The entire world is yours to mess around with and do whatever. The very idea of a multiplayer Elder Scrolls turns me off the MMO.

This, and on principle, I just find the idea of paying a monthly fee to play a freaking game to be fucking stupid.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3209 on: August 23, 2013, 03:10:06 am »
This, and on principle, I just find the idea of paying a monthly fee to play a freaking game to be fucking stupid.

They need money for the servers, staff and other stuff that a MMO requires. So far the ways to gather up that money that I've seen are:
a) Monthly subscription.
b) Pay to win.
c) Hats (and other cosmetic stuff.)
d) Ingame ads.

D and b are the ones that annoy me a lot more than monthly subscrition.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!